Author Topic: Hot August Nites and days Coffee and left overs from the gardens  (Read 130820 times)

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
Re: Hot August Nites and days Coffee and left overs from the gardens
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2014, 03:02:55 PM »
LIT...they say it will be non-event for us in Florida  :-\  that's the one's I don't trust !

Nice Rifle Del.... 222 Hornet ?  I've never shot it , how does to compare to .223 in felt recoil ...NADA ?
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline litl rooster

• Retired Cowboy... with saddle a 94 and the good book
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 307
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2014, 03:17:04 PM »
Buck i was attacked and stung on the back of my head a couple weeks ago. While feeding a old barn cat, that was orphaned by it's late keeper. They sed offenders domicle was located and destroyed enemy loses were high no wonded were recovered. It had been 2 weeks and nothing has returned. The spray remains handy in its place with my personal protection in jeep.

Tippy guards the old house and barn and my stockpile of bamboo. The dogs check on her daily.
Mathew 5.9

Offline Arcey

• Underlord of Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2014, 05:01:08 PM »
Wunner what kinda exaggerated predictions ole Don '60 mph' Slater'll come up with for Bertha.............

Ole Pungo days I hadda Handi Rifle in .223 Remington I used as a plinker. The thing was a hoot. N'er did get around to workin' up a cast load for it. Cheap(er) jacketed stuff weren't expensive 'n made for a lot of fun. She'd shoot an inch at a hundred yards almost by herself. Bet the Hornet's a blast.
Honorary Life Member of the Pungo Posse. Badge #1. An honor bestowed by the posse. Couldn’t be more proud or humbled.

All I did was name it ‘n get it started. The posse made it great. A debt I can never repay. Thank you, mi amigos.

Advertising

Offline Four-Eyed Buck

• Top Active Citizen
  • Tusco LongRiders,
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2014, 05:11:08 PM »
Yeah, the miscreants are either dead or gone now. Four big cans of wasp/hornet spray did'em in. The nest was more like a ranch home than an apartment building, inside the gutter wasn't real noticable. We'll give it a few more days, then scoop it outa there. It'll block up the gutter otherwise. Boss mowed the sewer plant yard this morning and wasn't bothered. One of the down sides to living in the country, I guess ::)

Boy, Slim's slipping. Thje July thread hasn't been locked yet. ::) :o

We keep cans of spray in the truck as well,lR. Have to use them when repairing lamp posts and signs usually ::)
I might be slow, but I'm mostly accurate.....

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2014, 06:04:43 PM »
Hornet is a blast, 45 gr at 2650 fps is what the factory stuff does.  I load a full case (12 gr) AA 1680 for 2500 fps and it gives a lot lower pressure than standard which uses 2400, 110 or similar powders.  The action is a iron Low=Wall with a rechambered Springfield 22 barrel dovetail on the barrel, pre War 1" Weavers and an Early K-12 from El Paso.

Gonna try Litl Gun next time when I can find it, better velocity and very low pressure, need to see if anyone has an 45 gr 0.223's, I need them because like a lot of early Hornets it was made with a rimfire barrel. 

Need to find the time and get back to cast, net info says Litl gun with give me enough velocity to make my 52 gr cast spin fast enough, also have the 1-16 twist, factory ones use 1-14 or 1-12.   It will do almost 1 moa, not quite but good enough for anything with in 200 yards.   
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline litl rooster

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2014, 06:06:50 PM »
Never boring Buck...

Got my stockpile started need to get some chicken wire now.

Some of the smaller canes

Some of these are 40' long to start with.
Mathew 5.9

Offline litl rooster

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2014, 06:39:14 PM »
Buck watch the propane tank lids too
Mathew 5.9

Offline pony express

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2014, 06:44:06 PM »
Roo, that bamboo pile reminds me....

When visiting in my wife's hometown in Philippines, of course they use bamboo for just about everything there. Among opther things, they sometimes use seasoned pieces for firewood, since they mostly cook over wood fires. So they had this pile of long pieces, I thought I'd be helpful and chop some wood. So I draw back with the Bolo and take a whack.

That stuff's about like chopping a spring! Good thing I had a good grip on the bolo, or it would have bounced out of my hand.

Locals probably thought it funny.

So that was this Missouri boy's first experience with bamboo. After that I learned how to better chop it, as in be sure to hit by the joints, not in the middle! Or just go find a saw.....

Offline litl rooster

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: August 01, 2014, 08:34:38 PM »
I'm using a machette to limb it and a hand saw to cut it. You are right about it springing. They do use it for everthing. Inckuding making charcoal to cook with over there. I had been thru Clark there a couple 4 times.
Mathew 5.9

Offline Four-Eyed Buck

• Top Active Citizen
  • Tusco LongRiders,
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: August 01, 2014, 09:52:52 PM »
Only propane tanks around here are the ones on gas grills,lR. Do have a diesel tank down at the sewer plant that we store fuel for the Kubota and the back up generator. This is mostly an all electric park, except for the newest section where you have the option for natural gas and city water ::)

Offline El Peludo

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #30 on: August 01, 2014, 10:11:22 PM »
Good e-v-e-n-ing!   Happy August to you all.

We're still chuggin', hunkered down to endure the hot as much as possible; had some days in the nineties, but mostly 103 to 115 (in places around the valley), and anywhere from "poppin" dry, to 50%+ humidity.  Fortunately, there is usually at least a breeze, if not a true wind; some thunder bumpin' and scattered showers in our part of the region, others are getting some pretty heavy rain.

I have not had much of a problem with wasps here in Las Vegas, just a few odd nests under the eaves once or twice over at the other place.  We had them in spades up in the mountains, though, along with ground hornets or yellowjackets, or sometimes called "meat bees".  I used spray can carburetor cleaner or electronics cleaner on them most of the time because it was usually cheaper than wasp and hornet spray, and just as deadly, if not more so.

Nice little rifle, Del; that .22 Hornet is a pleasant little round to play with.  Major2, the .22 Hornet is a milder round than the .223/5.56mm.  I have a .222 Remington, and a .223 Remington; they are almost identical, the .223 Rem case being just slightly larger than the .222; but they use the same bullets, depending on load, of course.  The dangerous thing about having both is that it is possible to slip a .222 into a .223 chamber and possibly have the firing pin hit the primer; that might cause a catastrophic discharge.  But going the other way, a .223 will not chamber in the .222.  Funny thing is that the .222 sounds different than the .223; a 52 grain bullet at 3,600fps has a flat, sort of booming "whap" sound, whereas the .223 with the same bullet at about 3,400 has more of a crack to the sound - same barrel length.

We got invaded last night by three mini Schnauzers, along with an overnight gang of seven.  Our younger son, Bella's Daddy, is a long haul truck driver and was in town for a few days and staying here at the house; our older son and his family are taking their annual vacation, this year to Puerto Rico, and brought their three dogs to stay with us for a bit more than a week, and they got here about 1830 last evening; they flew out of Las Vegas this morning.  Bella's Dad left for L.A. about 1400, and  Bella went home with her Mom at 1820; now it's just us old folks and the critters -- their three, plus our one and the Cat.  Pretty quiet now, unless someone comes to the door; then all holy hockey sticks breaks loose.

I think I am going to go see what kind of leftovers I can scrounge something up with.

Later.
El Peludo (The Hairy Man)
Las Vegas, Nevada Territory
Lifer in: Life, NRA, NAHC, SASS, SBSS,WARTHOG, DIRTY RATS
IBEW(Retired), Shooter since 1955.
             Roop County Cowboy (FF)
             Original Member: Grass Valley Rangers,
             Camp Beale Land and Cattle Company.

Offline Silver Creek Slim

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 2329
  • GAF #: 144
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 104
« Reply #31 on: August 01, 2014, 10:52:07 PM »
Been busy today. Worked from 7-9:30 AM remotely into verk. Left at 10:45 AM to pick up the oldest two from camp. Got home 'bout 1/2 hour ago. Saw some people I haven't seen in 30 years. I lived there for 4.5 years, 8th grade thru 1st semester of senior year. Then, was a counselor during the summers of 86-89.

Hey, I like Hornets, everyone should own at least one of them, fairly quiet, good to around 175-200 yards and it just sips powder at 10-12 grains a pop.    ;D

I got a Hornet in a Handi rifle.

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
« Reply #32 on: August 02, 2014, 05:04:30 AM »
Thanks Harry , I shot many 223 & NATO ...never even handled 222  :-\

Therapy went well, figured I'd be sore as hell this morning...but no drugs and I'm doing OK  ???
They ran me through about 5 stretching movements to loosen the shoulder and had me do this crank thingy like bike to exercise & warm up the shoulder....
Gotta go 3 more times, but motion has improved greatly  :D

Funny though the Right was by far the worst, now the left is a tad sorer this morning  :-\

Great stand of 'boo  Roo  :)

I did our hardwood floors in the house from " boo " excellent product, very stable & tough , and looks great.
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline litl rooster

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: August 02, 2014, 06:05:54 AM »
Coffee is up.... Headed down near Auburn today, picking up a Kennel and bringing it home. To be used for these girls when i can't be here. They are stArting to magnatize when i am here. Still to much mischief when i leave them. They are still puppies and discovering things.

May get some rain during the day. It has been a couple weeks we could use it.

Major2. I installed a lam floor in house in Virginia. Back hurt a month afterwards. But it looked good. 
YA'll have a safe day.
Mathew 5.9

Offline Four-Eyed Buck

• Top Active Citizen
  • Tusco LongRiders,
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: August 02, 2014, 06:43:52 AM »
Thanks for the coffee,lR ;)

65,partly cloudy. Wife's at the parade, I'm on duty. Gotta go out and do rounds in a bit, been up since before 5 since I had to move the truck for her to leave. Made myself some eggs, haven't had any for a while, shouldn't bother the A1c much. Good thing as I was a bad boy yesterday and ate some stuff that wasn't friendly to the sugar problem( too much white bread buns), but it tasted soooo good ::) :o

Watching the radar as we have rain in the forecast for later ::)

Offline Arcey

• Underlord of Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: August 02, 2014, 06:51:56 AM »
Mornin', y'all.

Rain? We gots rain. Last OFSDAR opportunity – rain. CAS thing taday – rain. Gots ammo, gots guns, ain't gots no shoot. Least ways Bertha's predicted track is farther out ta sea last report.

Knife block for the white-bladed Kyocera things is bamboo.
Honorary Life Member of the Pungo Posse. Badge #1. An honor bestowed by the posse. Couldn’t be more proud or humbled.

All I did was name it ‘n get it started. The posse made it great. A debt I can never repay. Thank you, mi amigos.

Offline Texas Lawdog

• NCOWS Senator "Old School" Cop
  • Top Active Citizen
  • " We're all Here because We're not all There".
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: August 02, 2014, 07:41:03 AM »
Thanks for the Cawffee this morning. I have a pot ready to put on when Roo's pot is empty. I'll put some water on to boil as well. The girls are still napping.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Offline Silver Creek Slim

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 2329
  • GAF #: 144
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 104
« Reply #37 on: August 02, 2014, 09:03:28 AM »
Morning y'all.
Thanks fer the coffee.

'Tis 61 and sunny. High of 82.

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #38 on: August 02, 2014, 09:07:49 AM »
Major, the 222 is the older, slightly shorter version of the 223, this is based on the old 22 WCF black powder round and is much smaller.
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline pony express

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: August 02, 2014, 09:36:52 AM »
.22 hornet kind of looks like a shrunken 32-20.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com