Author Topic: Sons of Union veterans  (Read 3847 times)

Offline Hunter

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Sons of Union veterans
« on: July 30, 2014, 06:35:07 PM »
Hi everyone, I haven't posted here in a very long time but I would like to share with you that I will soon be joining the Sons of Union Veterans after recently discovering that my Great great grandfather served with the 34th New York infantry. I have sent for his military records at the national archives and they should arrive in roughly 90 days.  membership requirements for SOUV require proof of lineage so I won't be able to join until I receive the records.  Anyway I'm really stoked and the local chapter seems to be filled with a bunch of nice folks who are interested in preserving our heritage.

Wesley J. Bodine
Member #439

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
Re: Sons of Union veterans
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2014, 07:27:02 PM »
Very good....  I offer you this ... In my home town just south of Orlando, Fla.
The Building still stands and houses a small museum, open on appointment
It is the LAST GAR ( Grand Army of the Republic ) building standing in the south 

http://www.c4dofsuvcw.org/garstcloud.html

when planets align...do the deal !

Offline elhombreconnonombre

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2014, 11:36:41 PM »
Not to be left out, we Texicans with Texas ancestors that served in the CSA are eligible to join the Texas Division of the Sons of the Confederacy.
Member of THR Clubs (Black Powder Forum): Walker, Le Mat, 1858 Remington, 1851/1860 Colt

AKA Sgt. Smokey Bexar, McNelly's Rangers, Washington County Company A, Grand Army of the Frontier #839

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 09:14:27 AM »

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2014, 07:51:40 AM »
Sons of Confederate Veterans rather.
Member of THR Clubs (Black Powder Forum): Walker, Le Mat, 1858 Remington, 1851/1860 Colt

AKA Sgt. Smokey Bexar, McNelly's Rangers, Washington County Company A, Grand Army of the Frontier #839

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2014, 08:10:47 AM »
Sons of Confederate Veterans rather.

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2014, 08:59:48 AM »
I posted this one some time back...

St. George's Notes III - Your Civil War Ancestors...

« on: June 12, 2004, 11:56:21 pm »

Looking at the time frame we represent, it seems that a large number of us would've served on either side during the Civil War.

This is most helpful when developing your impression, since it can give you the background for your own character - plus, you can add the odd military item to your possibles bag to further add a touch of realism.

A good way to do this is to look into your own ancestry and see who fought where, and with whom did they fight?
You can then draw from real experiences.

You're going to need a couple of things in order to get started - an old, old living relative, and maybe the big, old Family Bible.

You need the ancient relative because they may know some of the family's oral history, and the associated names and their ties within the family.

You need the Family Bible because that's what many families used when they chronicled the various births, deaths and other pertinent data that made them "families".

There's also a good book that you can borrow from any well-stocked Town Library, and you'll usually find it in the Geneaology section.
It's titled:
"Tracing Your Civil War Ancestor" - by Groene.

It was printed some time back, and my copy doesn't have web links, but newer ones may, so stop by, check it out and see.

The actual addresses for the agencies involved are good though, and you can go to the 'net and dig from that point on.

There are a few of the things you'll need to do and to know:

1.  Know the actual name of your ancestor.
2.  Know his Date of Birth.
3.  Look for his Discharge or Mustering-Out Certificate.
4.  Know what State/County he lived in.
5.  Know what Unit he may have served in.
6.  Ask first at your County Historical Society.
7.  Look at the record of the war that his State published.
8.  Inquire at the National Archives - (the book explains how) http://www.itd.nps.gov/cwss/index.html
9.  You want to see his Military Record of Service.
10. You really want to see his Pension Records.

This list will keep you involved, but the hunt can be surprisingly worthwhile.
The Pension Records are important, because each time they changed the laws - those pensions needed to be re-requested, and in order to do that, affidavits needed to be filled out by men who served with him - attesting to actual service and times.

This means that the Pension Records will have more in them about specific duties and actions, while the Military Record will have the bare-bones details pertinent to that soldier up until discharge.

This really isn't as hard as you may think and the folks who deal in these Records are quite helpful with providing details and digging up additional information - so be certain to thank them profusely.

There are organizations that you may join currently, upon being able to prove your Civil War Veteran's connection.

The Sons of Union Veterans of the Civil War: www.suvcw.org

The Sons of Confederate Veterans of the Civil War: www.scv.org

These are the two premier outfits that you'll find both interesting as well as useful in your quest.

I'll talk more on these Military Societies, their badges, and the politics of the era at a later date.

Scouts Out!
"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2014, 11:06:42 AM »
very good stuff,  ST. G  well posted...

I've followed that line some 40-50 years now... it is quite a journey  :)

If your lucky you'll turn up photos of them , I did   :)  might even find artifacts the had .... ;)

when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Hunter

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2014, 06:17:00 PM »
My Great Great Grandfather's name was Alonzo K. Hays, looks like he received a pension. He died in 1893 so I would assume he had been wounded/shot making him eligible for a pension.  It's my understanding that prior to the late 1890's a soldier had to have medical proof of direct injury as a result of combat.  It wasn't until around 1896 that a soldier could apply for a pension as a result of chronic disease or mental illness  as a result of war service.  I wish I had ordered his pension records, but it will have to wait for now.

P.S.

My post wasn't meant to exclude those who have family members that fought for the confederacy, but rather to share what I have discovered about my family. I look forward to hearing from members here who have researched their family history and found Civil War veterans regardless of which side they fought for.

Respectfully,

Wesley J. Bodine
member #439 

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2014, 12:23:33 AM »
I had started doing research on my gggpaw way back before the internet and came up with some info doing it the hard way through written and verbal family stories. Once ancestry.com, findagrave.com, and other websites came along, it became much easier and confirmed the family info. I eventually found that my gggpaw mustered into the 19th Texas Cavalry at Dallas, Tx but only served a couple of years in the Red River Campaign, then transferred to home guard service due to illness. I even found a picture of him in the typical seated pose with a Colt revolver.  He was dressed in civilian garb, rather than a official CSA uniform.

I whole heartedly suggest that anyone with ancestors that served on either side do a little research. It is very satisfying and interesting project.

Offline Blair

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2014, 09:04:28 AM »
I have done this.
Charles Summerfield Auld, my maternal G Grand father, born at Fells Point, Baltimore, MD. in 1842.
Service record;
Co B 1st Va. Artillery.
May of 1862 enlisted in Co. A 2nd. Va. Cavalry.
Captured in Martinsburg Va. Oct. 1862. Exchanged POW at Akins Landing, City Point, Va. Nov. 1862.
Enlisted in Co. A 1st. MD. Cavalry in Nov. 1862.
Captured at Capon Bridge, W. VA. May 1863. Sent to POW camp at Lookout Point, MD. by Nov. 1863.
Enlisted in Co. F 1st US Volunteers. (Galvanized Yankee regiment)
Mustard out at Fort Leavenworth, Ks. May of 1866.
Died 1921 in Kaw City, Ok.

There were 86 pages of document within his Service Records. Very unusual for a Private in the Army.
This is because he applied for a Pension due to an injury during his US Military service.
He was sent as a Stage Coach Guard on the first Butterfield Stage run after the Smoky Hills Trail was re-opened. This ran from Fort Leavenworth to Denver.
The stage was attacked by Indians near Fort Hays, Ks.
They stopped the coach to fight the Indians. Charles has his foot badly broken by the wheel of the coach during this action.
The Pension Commission wanted to make sure He was receiving a pension for his US, not his CS service.
But, with these pension and service record... I have found out very much more Family History than lies within these papers.
Be sure to check then out for yourselves.
My best,
 Blair

Post script;
When I joined SASS I chose my 'aka' as Charles S. Auld.
I didn't think my G Grand Father would mind.  
A Time for Prayer.
"In times of war and not before,
God and the soldier we adore.
But in times of peace and all things right,
God is forgotten and the soldier slighted"
by Rudyard Kipling.
Blair Taylor
Life-C 21

Offline Blair

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2014, 03:19:45 PM »
I had places several request for info on this individual through the National Archives data base.
All turned up with no reply.
I finally asked about him being a member of the 7th Cav. just as a last resort.
I ended up with an Archive Researcher that was willing to go the extra mile for my request. This is the information He (or she) found and offer me.

The very cool thing about this, is that it offered me the Unite Numbers and Designations I needed to look up more information as to where and when these thing may have occurred with after action reports. Even though they may not actually mention my G Grandfather.
All of this helped to flesh out the stories of him, C.S. Auld, I had heard for years as a kid. These stories were always passed down to me as being a faulty memories of and old man. They were not! The fault came in the retelling of those stories.
Trust me, it is an adventure you all should try! (nothing ventured, nothing gained)
My best,
 Blair
A Time for Prayer.
"In times of war and not before,
God and the soldier we adore.
But in times of peace and all things right,
God is forgotten and the soldier slighted"
by Rudyard Kipling.
Blair Taylor
Life-C 21

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com