Author Topic: IAC 87 not ejecting spent shells  (Read 10170 times)

Offline jimbobborg

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
IAC 87 not ejecting spent shells
« on: July 30, 2014, 12:28:04 PM »
I bought this IAC 87 used back in February.  It ejected shells fine until a match in June.  It would not eject a spent shell, so I ended up putting it away for a bit.  I have some dummy shells I've been using for practice with my SxS, so I tried seeing what the problem was.  I noticed that the right extractor hook was drooping.  The left one was not.  I'm going to guess that this is part of the problem?  Is there a spring that holds it level with the bolt?  Where do I get said spring and where is it?  Thanks.

Offline Black River Smith

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 39
Re: IAC 87 not ejecting spent shells
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2014, 05:30:39 PM »
Don't know if this will answer your question because I do not know what you mean by the extractor is "drooping".  The right extractor is angled down by design.  When lever is closed on shell the extractor come up and catches rim.  That extractor should stay on shell rim all the way out, even though breech face is angling up, until lifter hits the shell bottom for complete ejection.

Yes, there is a spring behind the extractor and related plunger.  Hole in lever block behind the extractor. Where to buy is the hard question.  I do not believe anyone has extra parts for these shotguns even though Century Arms are presently importing them.  I would try 'Gun Parts' for original part or Coyote Caps, who brought them into the states back in the early 2000's.

For a really good discussion on the repair of this firearm see the link below and his seven or eight other video's.

Also Caps website for repairs.    http://www.coyotecap.com/gunsmithingsimplified.htm

Hope this helps, some.

Black River Smith

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2014, 06:32:37 PM »
Same problem here.  No photos and a pretty vague description.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 07:15:56 PM »

Offline jimbobborg

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2014, 08:31:40 PM »
If the right extractor is angled down by design, I'm going to assume that's not the problem.  I'm going to test it out with different shells, maybe it doesn't like the Winchester AAs I'm using.

Offline Bibbyman

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 99098
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2014, 08:33:19 PM »
It worked and then it didn't.   Any chance you are shooting different loads?  (Oops! You thought of that while I was typing. )

I bought a Century Arms 87 last winter.  It was pretty much non-functional out of the box.  I spent untold hours researching, polishing,  and nipping here and there until it's working pretty well. Last time I had it out it ran 25 for 25 without a problem. But I have to run it hard to get it to eject.

Offline Bibbyman

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2014, 08:43:51 PM »

Here is my 87 clone.  Note the left extractor has done its work and is free.  The right extractor is still holding on.  The action is just not long enough to handle star crimped hulls.  The last major improvement I made was to bevel the top edge of the chamber (no deeper than the rim depth) and polish it and the inside top of receiver ring.  This seems to give the hull mouth some ramp to allow it to ride up out of action.

Note:  This picture was taken before I removed some of the very top edge of the chamber.   You can see the barrel / chamber edge just in front of the open hull.  This is the scant little bit I removed and created a bevel.  Again,   I did not go into the chamber - just the rim section.   

Offline jimbobborg

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2014, 04:41:50 AM »
Basically, the shell is staying in the chamber after a few rounds are fired.  The Winchester shells will stick in the chamber and require a cleaning rod to push out.  Sorry, I originally posted this while at work. 

Offline Bibbyman

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2014, 06:25:45 AM »
Is the fired hull sticking really hard and requires a lot of effort with the rod to knock it out?  If so, is there bite marks on the rim where the left extractor tried to work?   Maybe clean the chamber really well.

If the hull comes out easy when bumped with the rod,, than the left extractor is not doing its job.  Maybe check for crud under the extractor?   Maybe there is crud in the recess in the chamber where the extractor hast to grab onto the rim?  Does the left extractor hook look right?

Have you tried the old ammo that worked before to see if it still works?

Offline jimbobborg

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2014, 07:01:59 AM »
Is the fired hull sticking really hard and requires a lot of effort with the rod to knock it out?  If so, is there bite marks on the rim where the left extractor tried to work?   Maybe clean the chamber really well.

If the hull comes out easy when bumped with the rod,, than the left extractor is not doing its job.  Maybe check for crud under the extractor?   Maybe there is crud in the recess in the chamber where the extractor hast to grab onto the rim?  Does the left extractor hook look right?

Have you tried the old ammo that worked before to see if it still works?

It takes pounding on a cleaning rod to get the shell out.  I'll do a more detailed cleaning and see if that clears things up.  Thanks for the tips. 

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2014, 11:56:39 AM »
It takes pounding on a cleaning rod to get the shell out.  I'll do a more detailed cleaning and see if that clears things up.  Thanks for the tips. 

Whole different question that what you originally posted.  This has nothing to do with ejecting.  It has to do with extracting.  If you are having to pound out empties with a cleaning rod, you have a big problem in the chamber area.  Is this with reloads or fresh shells?

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2014, 12:00:39 PM »

Here is my 87 clone.  Note the left extractor has done its work and is free.  The right extractor is still holding on.  The action is just not long enough to handle star crimped hulls.  The last major improvement I made was to bevel the top edge of the chamber (no deeper than the rim depth) and polish it and the inside top of receiver ring.  This seems to give the hull mouth some ramp to allow it to ride up out of action.

Note:  This picture was taken before I removed some of the very top edge of the chamber.   You can see the barrel / chamber edge just in front of the open hull.  This is the scant little bit I removed and created a bevel.  Again,   I did not go into the chamber - just the rim section.   

I have four originals and an IAC.  They all eject plastic 2 3/4" shells just fine.  Try Winchester AAs in the IAC as that is what the importer originally recommended.  They are about 1/16" shorter than an STS.  When you are having ejection problems about 90% of the time the problem is that the extractors are not adjusted properly.

Offline jimbobborg

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2014, 12:38:12 PM »
Whole different question that what you originally posted.  This has nothing to do with ejecting.  It has to do with extracting.  If you are having to pound out empties with a cleaning rod, you have a big problem in the chamber area.  Is this with reloads or fresh shells?

Fresh Winchester AA shells.  I don't reload plastic shotgun shells.  Yes, I get the terms mixed up  :-[

Offline Bibbyman

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2014, 01:20:31 PM »
I have four originals and an IAC.  They all eject plastic 2 3/4" shells just fine.  Try Winchester AAs in the IAC as that is what the importer originally recommended.  They are about 1/16" shorter than an STS.  When you are having ejection problems about 90% of the time the problem is that the extractors are not adjusted properly.

Thanks for the tip.  I have hulls of all brands.  But I bought 500 once fired AA hulls.  I'll measure a few.  1/16" would help a lot!

Like I said, last time out it went 25 of 25 with no problems other than you have to show it who's boss.  But I wouldn't guarantee it would go 100 for 100.

Offline Bibbyman

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2014, 06:32:46 AM »
Jimbob,  have you resolved the case sticking issue?  If so, how?

Offline jimbobborg

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2014, 11:47:18 AM »
Jimbob,  have you resolved the case sticking issue?  If so, how?

Sort of.  I have a some dummy shells I tested, it ejects them just fine.  I also picked up some boxes of Estate shells, which are as short as the Winchester AAs and shorter than the Remingtons I have, so I'm going to give them a whirl this weekend. 

One other thing, I filled up the magazine tube with the dummy rounds and the last round won't pop out.  It appears the spring inside the tube is too weak to push it out.  I do have an extra spring from my 11-87 that I put a longer tube on, so I'm going to try that and see if it works.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com