Author Topic: Advise on magazines (Wilson Combat) for Wild Bunch  (Read 5004 times)

Advise on magazines (Wilson Combat) for Wild Bunch
« on: July 29, 2014, 12:45:55 PM »
I’m looking to get some good quality magazines to use in my 1911 for Wild Bunch shooting.

I contacted Wilson regarding their Wilson Combat magazines and was told their model 47C would be the type I wanted.  I understand these are their best quality magazines, and hold 7 rounds.  They do offer an 8 round version of that magazine but I don’t think that’s needed (or even legal) for Wild Bunch shooting.  They have to be 7 round - right?

Anyway, what I wanted some clarification on is the magazine.  It’s a 7 round magazine and as far as I know it has no rubber bumper on the bottom.  So I’m assuming this is acceptable for Wild Bunch?

Is that right?

Offline kingsnake

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Advise on magazines (Wilson Combat) for Wild Bunch
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2014, 12:57:11 PM »
8 rounders are legal as long as there is NO base pad.
My personal belief is that 7 rounders are more dependable.
I prefer Tripp Research mags myself but most any good quality mag will work.

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2014, 01:05:49 PM »
Thanks Kingsnake.  I appreciate the advice.  I think I'll go with the 7 round mags.  It's my understanding  you can only load 5 per mag anyway, so may as well go with the one that might be more dependable.

I have not ordered them yet so would be interested in why you feel the Tripp mags are better.  If they are then I'm interested in them.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 06:00:08 AM »

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1181
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2014, 01:19:12 PM »
Frank, I don't think it is going to be legal.  I could be wrong, and others have mentioned before that Wilson makes (or made) a magazine with the standard GI-style metal baseplate.  But if you look at various ads for the 47C online, they all look like this:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/114776/wilson-combat-magazine-with-low-profile-steel-base-pad-1911-government-commander-45-acp-7-round-stainless-steel

or

http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/wilson-combat-1911-round-stainless-magazine-p-126783.html

Same picture can be seen on Wilson's website for that magazine.  They are saying that the baseplate is steel, not rubber, on this one, but the shape of it is the same as the rubber baseplates and I don't think it is legal.    It could be that the Wilson guy you talked to doesn't really know the Wild Bunch requirements, and when told WB mags needed to have steel baseplates, he thinks "Oh yeah, we make one with a steel buttplate."

Anyways, I would not buy any until checking further.  If Wilson does make a legal one, I'd like to know because I love their mags!

Good luck.

Offline kingsnake

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2014, 01:28:37 PM »
I have mags by Tripp - Wilson - Colt - Kimber - Checkmate - Metalform - and a few others.
Out of them all the Tripps are the most consistent in all dimensions. I own a machine shop and can be over picky about variation in size.I have never had a single problem with any of the Tripp mags. I have 20 of them and will probably buy more of them in the future. They are pricey, but quality isn't cheap.
One other thing, whatever mags you do buy, I recommend getting ones with a skirted follower instead of the open follower. I have seen the non-skirted ones cause binding problems.
Of course all this is just my opinion and others will have differing opinions.

The mags in the pics Abilene just posted are NOT legal in WB.
It must be a flat metal base plate that is flush with the bottom of the grip.

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2014, 01:28:51 PM »
Whoa!  Thanks Abilene.  That would be a game changer for sure.  I better check that out and make sure before I order anything.  I appreciate the "heads up".

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1181
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2014, 01:29:57 PM »
Here is a discussion of the 47C on the SASS Wild Bunch forum:

http://sassnet.com/wildbunch/forum/index.php?topic=1005.msg7576#msg7576

The concensus is that the baseplate protrudes from the bottom of the grip frame slightly and so is not WB-Legal.

However, the same discussion says that Wilson makes a GI-type mag but no mention of model number.  Perhaps another call to Wilson is in order?

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2014, 01:34:38 PM »
Thanks again Kingsnake.  It sounds like I'll have to really check out the Wilson mags to make sure they are legal.  Does not appear so.

One of the problems I have is that I'm up in Canada and some things are hard to find.  We can't order magazines accross the border, so I have to get them here.  I did find a dealer for Wilson, but now will have to contact Tripp to see if they have a dealer or distributor up here/  Hopefully they will.

Given how much you like them, and you have a lot of experience, I assume the Tripp mags DO come with the skirted follower?

If I can find Tripp mags up here, or find somebody up here who can order them for me, what "model" should I be going for?  I'm shooting a Remington 1911 R1 in 45 ACP for Wild Bunch (at least for now).  I assume I'm looking for a 7 round magazine, skirted follower, and flat metal base flush with the bottom of the grip.  Do you happen to know what Tripp's model number for that would be?

I'll go check out their site, but it would be good to have a ball park idea of what I'm looking for.

Offline kingsnake

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2014, 01:46:37 PM »
Frank, The Tripp model # is 7R-45-WG.
Call them toll free at 877-837-9445.
I'm sure they can give you info about getting them up in the far north.
Good Luck,
KingSnake

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2014, 04:33:41 PM »
Kingsnake - a question for you.  Does the TRIPP Model 7R-45-WG magazine you recommended have the skirted follower?  If not, which of their mags does?  Do you have to order that as an option to that mag?

I'm going to call them but just wanted to have an idea of what I'm talking about.

Offline kingsnake

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2014, 06:26:10 PM »
Yup, it has the skirted follower. I believe ALL Tripp mags have them.

Offline Red Cent

• Top Active Citizen
    • Red Cent Custom Leather
  • Liked:
Life is too short to argue with stupid people and drink cheap booze
McLeansville, NC by way of WV
SASS29170L

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com