Author Topic: Question regarding Sam Browne belts of the late 19th century  (Read 1615 times)

Offline elhombreconnonombre

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
As I understand it Samuel Browne lost his left ARM in India during battle so he came up with the idea. His flapped holster was mounted on the waist belt on his right hip for drawing with his right hand. So I assume he used a cavalry draw to draw his revolver with the butt of his revolver facing rodarse the back. My question is which is the acceptable/correct mounting position of a flapped revolver holster using a Sam Browne belt. During the latter part of the 19th cent.
Member of THR Clubs (Black Powder Forum): Walker, Le Mat, 1858 Remington, 1851/1860 Colt

AKA Sgt. Smokey Bexar, McNelly's Rangers, Washington County Company A, Grand Army of the Frontier #839

Offline elhombreconnonombre

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Question regarding Sam Browne belts of the late 19th century
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2014, 08:00:53 PM »
...rather he used his right hand to draw his revolver from his right hip using the cavalry twist draw since it was customary to wear the holster with the grip to the front.
Member of THR Clubs (Black Powder Forum): Walker, Le Mat, 1858 Remington, 1851/1860 Colt

AKA Sgt. Smokey Bexar, McNelly's Rangers, Washington County Company A, Grand Army of the Frontier #839

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2014, 08:29:17 PM »
I've seen british officers wearing the holster on either side, does not seem to matter, the determining factor seems to be if a sword Is worn.
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

Advertising

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 406
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2014, 11:44:19 PM »
I don't know the detailed history, but in WWI, artillery officers wore their revolver behind the right hip. I presume it was because they were either prone with their enormous binoculars in front of their eyes or peering down at a map or plotting table. I have one in my collection belonging to a C.E.F. officer serving in an artillery brigade.
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com