Author Topic: I need a correct lantern  (Read 13113 times)

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Watt and Wadd Watson Ellis
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Howdy, Pardner! Sacramento, Ca here ....
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: I need a correct lantern
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2014, 05:31:06 PM »
Hi,

I was just on the W.T. Kirkman website (http://www.lanternnet.com/ ) ... Books it looks like you could repair that Dietz tank there (or get a new one).

My problem is that I am the 'proud' owner of two Dietz Railroad Lanterns # 041

Although they re unused and pristine, they are much too old to be returned ...

My actual question is, though it is a  "dead-flame" lantern, if two were placed low on 6" Black Iron Amish Hooks, would they keep a 7 X 10 Baker tent workable?
My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway." John Wayne
NCOWS #3403

Offline Tascosa Joe

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 2770
  • NCOWS #: L-168
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 11
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2014, 05:54:22 PM »
GW:
I wish I had seen this before you purchased your lantern.  I bought 2 Deitz in WY last summer and I would have sent you one for what I have in it.  Oh well.
T-Joe
NRA Life, TSRA Life, NCOWS  Life

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Watt and Wadd Watson Ellis
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Howdy, Pardner! Sacramento, Ca here ....
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2014, 09:14:28 PM »
Tascosa Joe,

I bought the lanterns the Christmas before last from the State Train Museum ... shoulda known.  Next time I will just order two Dietz Hurricane Lanterns from W.T. Kirkman and be done with them
My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway." John Wayne
NCOWS #3403

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 06:43:40 PM »

Offline Stu Kettle

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2014, 09:58:36 PM »
I noticed they have antique ones, Rayo, Paulls, Dietz, etc. for some very reasonable prices.

Now that you've put that bug in my ear about hot blast being more period correct, I'll have to upgrade.

RCJ

I haven't talked to Bookes in person about his research on lanterns, but according to Deitz's website the cold blast type has been produced since 1880 as put out twice as much light with the same size wick.

Offline Books OToole

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Michael Tatham
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 91
« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2014, 09:36:08 AM »
The patents for the cold blast style lanterns were granted in 1880, but for reasons unknown they were not produced until the middle of that decade.  And not common until the 90s or later.*

In the 1897 Sears Catalog, two out of three lanterns listed are still of the hot blast style.

For an 1880s camp no one should object to a cold blast lantern.  Earlier however....

One of those living history truisms applies:  An early item can be used late, but a late item can't be used early. 

Books

* Watch for lantern styles in old westerns.  It is really amazing how many of them are hot blasts.  A case of Hollywood getting it right by accident.
G.I.L.S.

K.V.C.
N.C.O.W.S. 2279 - Senator
Hiram's Rangers C-3
G.A.F. 415
S.F.T.A.

Offline Books OToole

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Michael Tatham
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 91
« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2014, 09:38:05 AM »
I am looking for a correct oil lantern for an mid 1880s hardware store owner out on the range hunting.

As to the original question.

A hardware store owner could very well have the latest technology available.  That would be a cold blast lantern.

Books
G.I.L.S.

K.V.C.
N.C.O.W.S. 2279 - Senator
Hiram's Rangers C-3
G.A.F. 415
S.F.T.A.

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 360
« Reply #26 on: September 02, 2014, 07:32:26 PM »
As to the original question.

A hardware store owner could very well have the latest technology available.  That would be a cold blast lantern.

Books

Good point, I guess if anyone would or could have it would have been someone dealing the goods.
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com