Author Topic: History of my NWMP carbine  (Read 8978 times)

Offline otis luther-brown

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
History of my NWMP carbine
« on: July 22, 2014, 08:29:28 AM »
I own a NWMP carbine.  I was wondering is there any records in Canada where I can go to research the history of my gun.  For example; the name of the Mountie who was issued it, the locations the individual was stationed while having the gun, etc.
Thanks,
Otis

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 405
Re: History of my NWMP carbine
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2014, 09:22:48 AM »
ARMS & ACCOUTREMENTS OF THE MOUNTED POLICE 1874 - 1973, 1982, Museum Restoration Service, Roger Phillips & Donald Klancher ISBN 0-919316-84-0

This reference is very good, and includes all known serial numbers of the regular issue and some specialty issued weapons of the Mounties.  I'm not sure if it goes into the detail that you desire, that might require many dusty hours in archives. I have added a link to the mounted police museum, below.

Rattlesnake Jack usually has a wealth of knowledge that will help. PM me the serial number, if you wish, and I will see if is listed in the above book.

http://www.rcmpheritagecentre.com/
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2014, 01:03:54 PM »
Sir Charles,
The serial number of my carbine is:  44164

Otis

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 10:40:32 PM »

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 405
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2014, 03:50:52 PM »
Sir Charles,
The serial number of my carbine is:  44164

Otis

Yes it is one of the serial numbers listed in "Arms & Accoutrements..." It was one of the new pattern carbines issued with the Spanish Meter backsight approved in April of 1882. Carbines with slightly higher numbers are mentioned in reports by 1889. In this book there is no information on locations or individual members in relation to specific carbines. Myriads of reports would have to be located and searched in archives.

http://oldguns.net/sn_php/windateslookup.php        It was manufactured in 1884.
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Offline Buck Stinson

• Top Active Citizen
    • Old West Reproductions, Inc.
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2014, 09:14:28 AM »
I sold my Mountie carbine at the Denver Gun Show in may.  It was a very high condition gun that was part of my collection for many years.  Serial number was only a couple hundred number from yours.  It was shipped from the factory on April 8, 1885.  Your gun was in the same shipment.  Don had a great Mountie display at the Winchester show in Cody a couple of weeks ago, so I was able to talk with him at length.  I was particularly interested in saddle scabbard he had, which was made for the NWMP specifically for the 1876 carbines.  I make a reproduction of this scabbard and was able to compare the original to my reproduction.  Turns out they were nearly exact in style and size.  Write to him.  If he has any info on your carbine, he'll write up a nice letter to that effect.

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2014, 12:23:45 AM »
Buck,
When you say write to Don, do you mean Don Grove of Winchestergrove?

Offline RattlesnakeJack

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2014, 04:03:39 PM »
I think he meant Donald Klancher, one of the authors of "Arms & Accoutrements of the Mounted Police ....

In answer to your original inquiry, Don Klancher (a retired RCMP Inspector) offers a service of providing letters outlining known information on (among other things) NWMP, RNWMP and RCMP firearms, gleaned from the voluminous records amassed and researched in preparation for writing the book ....

I got one of his letters for my NWMP Enfield Mark II revolver .... unfortunately, the only Force record he had shows it being on charge to Depot Division in Regina as of February 1897.  However, another fellow I referred to him got quite a bit of information - two or more Detachments where the gun was on record, and information on at least one Constable to whom it had been issued.  Contact him (perhaps by e-mail first) to get current prices and such .... all his contact info is in the letterhead of my (unfortunately brief) letter -

Rattlesnake Jack Robson, Scout, Rocky Mountain Rangers, North West Canada, 1885
Major John M. Robson, Royal Scots of Canada, 1883-1901
Sgt. John Robson, Queen's Own Rifles of Canada, 1885
Bvt. Col, Commanding International Dept. and Div.  of Canada, Grand Army of the Frontier

Offline Buck Stinson

• Top Active Citizen
    • Old West Reproductions, Inc.
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2014, 06:18:08 PM »
That is correct.  I took it for granted that since Don Klancher had been mentioned in a previous post, it wouldn't need an explanation as to who I was referring to.  He's a great guy and no one knows more about the original NWMP than he does.  Don Grove is a good friend, but has little knowledge of the Mountie serial numbers.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com