Author Topic: I know British foods have a bad reputation, but.....  (Read 18739 times)

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 420
Re: I know British foods have a bad reputation, but.....
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2014, 05:38:45 AM »
I'm the same way... turnips, parsnips & rutabaga , I could never tolerate. My Sister on the other hand liked them  ::)
I was the same for Okra....

My Granddad, used to say " the only way he liked OKRA, was dipped in egg , rolled in cornmeal, fried in butter and thrown the HELL out ! "
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Stu Kettle

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2014, 06:52:16 AM »
That's the only way I like okra too :P

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2014, 09:12:09 AM »
Funny how that works. Some folks are nostalgic for he foods the grew up with while others are glad they don't have to eat that crap.  For me it's pinto beans & fried potatoes.  Lived on em as a kid & I could still eat em day in & day out. My sister can't gag em down.

I feel the same way about potato soup.  I enjoy potatoes almost every other way, but I'd starve in a swimming pool full of potato soup rather than eat any.
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 02:14:04 AM »

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2014, 09:14:47 AM »
I'm the same way... turnips, parsnips & rutabaga , I could never tolerate. My Sister on the other hand liked them  ::)
I was the same for Okra....

My Granddad, used to say " the only way he liked OKRA, was dipped in egg , rolled in cornmeal, fried in butter and thrown the HELL out ! "

Terrible waste of egg, cornmeal, and butter.

Okra isn't food.  Okra is what food eats..... like hogs and cattle and chickens, etc. can turn okra into something truly delightful.  ;D
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Offline Ol Gabe

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2014, 09:50:35 AM »
What Forty Rod just said, with a Norwegian twist...
Ten plus years ago I stumbled onto a post from a Norwegian CAS Pard, we traded laughs and suchlike and I said if he was ever in the States to give me a "Hi, Ho!" and we'd find a Shoot to get to so he could experience our style of CAS.
Well, 6 months later he called and said he was heading my way, we got him situated in our cabin out back in our forest and then we proceeded to swap stories and pics of his Norwegian CAS events. The next day my Shooting Pard, our guest & I headed out for an NCOWS event in Northern Iowa, we dressed him in a slouch hat, boots that surprisingly fit, an old shirt and a duster...he was in Pig Heaven! he used our gear and had a great time. That night we went to my Pards house and he fed our guest some Iowa gourmet...fresh garden tomatoes, green beans, late Summer greens, 'taters, Summer squash, steaks and plenty of good libations.
As he started to chow down, he kept avoiding the greens and other garden goodies, only tucking into the meat and 'taters. When asked if he didn't like the veggies, he looked us straight in the eye and said "I don't eat what my food eats!" We laughed as he explained he meant that he didn't eat greens as that was what was fed to hogs and cattle in his country to fatten them up.
Cultural differences are always interesting. He joked as how he wouldn't eat much when he went to England on business either, sticking to sausage or steak sandwiches.
Best regards and good eats!
'Ol Gabe
P.S. Do they use Okra to fatten up hogs in the South?

Offline Skeeter Lewis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2014, 02:54:58 PM »
The best British cooking is home cooking. A lot of the dishes have been mentioned - roast beef with Yorkshire pudding and roast potatoes, trifle etc. Lord - my dear old mum's cooking, God rest her soul!
I like to cook too. I make my own bread, cakes and marmalade. Come January, Seville oranges are ready and I get going. Oranges, sugar and water - that's all that's in it. No E numbers. On toast - oh boy!

Offline pony express

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2014, 09:19:54 AM »
Don't know about okra, but animal feed is what turnips are good for. Don't know if anybody uses them for that anymore, though, they use more hand labor than corn, hay and silage.

I'm with Stu on the pinto beans, though. I would add cornbread to the beans and taters, though.

Offline Angel_Eyes

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2014, 04:52:04 AM »
As a matter of interest Forty Rod, which British food has a bad rep?

I was born in Scotland and migrated to Nottinghamshire as a kid and reckon I have eaten in just about every county at one time or another. A lot of resteraunts over here churned out some pretty standard fodder through the 60' and 70's but I think it improved until the advent of the Microwave oven, things went downhill in a lot of the 'chain pubs'.

Local home cooked is the best as far as I am concerned, I describe my wife as a good plain cook, none of those fancy sauces that the french use to disguise crap food in our house! Beef is cooked until it don't bleed any more, no raw meat for me!

Proper rolled oats make the best porridge, steeped in water overnight before cooking, is best, and as for haggis,,,I love it!
Trouble is...when I'm paid to do a job, I always carry it through. (Angel Eyes, The Good, The Bad & The Ugly)
BWSS # 54, RATS# 445, SCORRS,
Cowboy from Robin Hood's back yard!!

Offline Stu Kettle

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: September 04, 2014, 06:54:43 AM »
I'm with Stu on the pinto beans, though. I would add cornbread to the beans and taters, though.

I thought that was a given.

Offline Mean Bob Mean

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2014, 03:43:02 PM »
and as for haggis,,,I love it!

Hear, hear . . .

I can eat my weight in smoked Salmon as well. 
"We tried a desperate game and lost. But we are rough men used to rough ways, and we will abide by the consequences."
- Cole Younger

Offline Mogorilla

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3306
  • GAF #: 883
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 98
« Reply #30 on: September 05, 2014, 12:54:23 PM »
freshly prepared Haggis absolutely.   I had some canned stuff and the dog wouldn't even eat it.

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: September 05, 2014, 03:20:40 PM »
As a matter of interest Forty Rod, which British food has a bad rep?

I was born in Scotland and migrated to Nottinghamshire as a kid and reckon I have eaten in just about every county at one time or another. A lot of resteraunts over here churned out some pretty standard fodder through the 60' and 70's but I think it improved until the advent of the Microwave oven, things went downhill in a lot of the 'chain pubs'.

Local home cooked is the best as far as I am concerned, I describe my wife as a good plain cook, none of those fancy sauces that the french use to disguise crap food in our house! Beef is cooked until it don't bleed any more, no raw meat for me!

Proper rolled oats make the best porridge, steeped in water overnight before cooking, is best, and as for haggis,,,I love it!

Well (and this is my opinion.  I won't drag anyone else into it.) most puddings, anything boiled, and beef except pot roast.

Offline Truly Grits

• Very Active Citizen
  • THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: February 03, 2015, 12:13:20 AM »
How about a good steak n kidney pie? My mother made one to die for. Condiments...how about pickled walnuts with your roast beef and yorkshire pudding.

Cheers!
A wise person once said ...
There comes a time in life, when you walk away from all the drama and people who create it.
You surround yourself with people who make you laugh, forget the bad, and focus on the good.
So love the people who treat you right, pray for the ones who don't.
Life is too short to be anything but happy.
Falling down is a part of life, getting back up is living. Cheers!

Offline Mean Bob Mean

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: February 03, 2015, 09:42:51 AM »
How about a good steak n kidney pie? My mother made one to die for. Condiments...how about pickled walnuts with your roast beef and yorkshire pudding.

Cheers!

My mother in law made steak and kidney pie for Christmas dinner and it was amazing.  The dark, rich gravy lingered on your palate and was so rich and smooth.
"We tried a desperate game and lost. But we are rough men used to rough ways, and we will abide by the consequences."
- Cole Younger

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com