Author Topic: I know British foods have a bad reputation, but.....  (Read 18695 times)

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
I know British foods have a bad reputation, but.....
« on: July 21, 2014, 10:43:51 AM »
....., while I have to agree for the most part, there are some Brit food products that I wouldn't like to be without.

HP brown sauce is better than A-1 or any steak sauce for some things.  I prefer it on any pork and in things like a beef stew.

Norfolk Manor malt vinegar is the best for breaded or fried fish, except trout and salmon, and is terrible on any shell fish.

Coleman's powdered hot mustard is for stew and a dash in scrambled eggs before they are cooked.  Be careful.  Coleman's can go from just right to way too hot in a hurry.  Also like a small amount in curried chicken or pork.

Coleman's also make a great horse radish sauce that I use instead of American style processed horse radish for some things, but not for everything.

Garibaldi raisin filled biscuits at Christmas.  I was raised on them and still love them once a year.

Lea and Perrins worcestershire (old spelling)  sauce is still the best.

They still make Ovaltine the old way over there, like when I was a kid.  No high fructose anything and the formula tastes better.

Gale's lemon curd on toast or breakfast biscuit is tied for America's King Kelly orange marmalade for my breakfast toast.  Grant's also makes a suitable lemon curd if Grant' isn't available.

Finally, Rose's lemon and lime marmalade is an acquired taste but I'm glad I acquired it.

How about British / English / Irish / Scottish/ or Welch foods or condiments that you like.  Must be some things out there.

Seems I recall someone with an Irish soda bread recipe, but I can't find it.

BTW, even though I have a high percentage of Scottish blood I can't stand their oatmeal and haggis is crap.
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: I know British foods have a bad reputation, but.....
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2014, 11:36:07 AM »
I'll try remember to get you the soda bread recipe when I'm at home with my files.  If someone offers you one that uses baking powder or sultana raisins instead of currents be polite, say thank you and toss it in the trash. ;D
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline Mogorilla

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3306
  • GAF #: 883
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 95
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2014, 07:12:41 AM »
Just got back from across the pond.   Spent 8 days in england and 6 days in Paris.  I thought the food was great in both countries, but the French have the Brits beat on Bread and Coffee.   We drove from London to Cornwall, stopping in Salsbury plain to visit Stonehenge and Glastonbury, seeing all the southern King Arthur related sites (my first and foremost historical passion is King Arthur).  Brits love their breakfast.   i sampled blood pudding and bangers where ever we stayed.    I think the rural local brands were better than what we had in London.   I have always been an anglophile, so I agree with most of what you listed 40R.   Probably sacrilege, but I use Colemans powdered mustard in my Hot German Potato salad.   (will try and remember to post that recipe too.  I like it 50-50 beets and potatoes, great combo).   I love all types of marmalades, will have to find some lime to try.   Love Garibaldi biscuits.  They are really similar to a Christmas cookie my grandmother made, called fill cookies.   The filing in those was a mincemeat/nut combo that was rich unto itself and made the best mince pie immaginable.  Speaking of, Brits know their Mince pies!   

Now I want to go back, oh wait I woke up that way.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 06:55:45 AM »

Offline Slowhand53

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2014, 04:06:18 PM »
My late Australian brother in law got me hooked on Cornwells Lancashire Relish. Has a sort of fruity taste and goes good with steaks & stews.

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2014, 04:51:01 PM »
Worth a try.  Thanks.
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Offline Mean Bob Mean

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2014, 07:19:13 PM »
Great stuff:

I make Caul Stew, the Welsh "national" dish and I have a terrific recipe for scones that is nothing to make and they are better than any I have ever purchased here or there.  

I like Roast Beef and yorkshire pudding, we have Bubbles and Squeak on boxing day and we all love Mince and mashed with peas.  

Moma used to make the most fantastic steak and kidney pie, I am trying to come up with a suitable recipe.  

Shortbread, Walker's cookies, great stuff.  

Many great recipes for Chutney out there which is wonderful on pork and venison. 

Had a recipe for leek and rabbit pie . . .
"We tried a desperate game and lost. But we are rough men used to rough ways, and we will abide by the consequences."
- Cole Younger

Offline Reverend P. Babcock Chase

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2014, 09:25:40 PM »
Howdy Anglophiles (Isn't that what you use for truing up dovetails?0,

What about Irish Black and White pudding(s) (sausages)?

Reverend Chase

Offline Ol Gabe

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2014, 08:53:02 AM »
Yummm!
Don't forget about Tatties & Neeps, Welsh Rarebit, Cockaleekie (sp?) Soup and a nice bit of 'Spotted Dick' to go with it all?
OK, now I'm getting a case of the mid-morning munchies!
Best regards and keep on cookin'!
'Ol Gabe

Offline Mogorilla

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2014, 04:47:35 PM »
I tried several varieties of black puddings along southern England this summer.  Also had Welsh Rarebit.  Grew up with that as it was often breakfast on a cold winter morning.   Especially loved it when the cheese got good and brown.    From Central Illinois originally, so we have our own version of Rarebit, but more artery clogging.   Man I could murder a horseshoe and nails about now!

Offline Jayhawker

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2014, 06:43:16 PM »
Spotted Dick.....
Life is NOT like a box of chocolates...it more like a jalapeno...what you do today might burn your butt tomorrow...

Offline Skeeter Lewis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2014, 04:43:15 AM »
Spotted dick! Now you're talking! Our puddings are great.
As a Brit, I'm delighted to see so many of you enjoying our terrific foods. Anyone tried Toad in the Hole?
 If you're ever over here, try our cheeses. They're the equal (or superior) of French cheeses.
Skeeter

PS The original name is Welsh rabbit but at some point it got gentrified to 'rarebit'.

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2014, 05:27:13 AM »
Catch me up here Morg... :) 

Horseshoe & nails ?   I'm thinking its a sandwich  :-\  Ham & fries with melted Welsh rarebit cheddar.

I'm fond of Fish & Chips , and Bangers & Eggs  :)

when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Mogorilla

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2014, 09:19:16 AM »
yup.  Horseshoe and nails, invented in and around Springfield Illinois.   Open face sandwich, toasted thick bread on either side of the plate, topped with traditionally ham, but you can get turkey, beef and hamburger now, fries in the middle covered in a welsh rarebit sauce.   tasty once a year

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2014, 10:05:44 AM »
I was in Springfield a few years back , stayed in Riverton actually, for the National Arab horse show, Daughter was entered...

There was restaurant/bar we went to, they serve the classic Horseshoe & nails .... it was great !
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Mean Bob Mean

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2014, 12:56:02 PM »
Spotted dick! Now you're talking! Our puddings are great.
As a Brit, I'm delighted to see so many of you enjoying our terrific foods. Anyone tried Toad in the Hole?
 If you're ever over here, try our cheeses. They're the equal (or superior) of French cheeses.
Skeeter

PS The original name is Welsh rabbit but at some point it got gentrified to 'rarebit'.

Oh yeah, toads in the hole or "eggy basket" is a long time favorite as is beef Wellington and a properly made trifle.  Love me some Scottish smoked salmon as well.
"We tried a desperate game and lost. But we are rough men used to rough ways, and we will abide by the consequences."
- Cole Younger

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 396
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2014, 02:32:01 PM »
My mom's heritage is Yorkshire toned down with Ontario in the 1830's and Saskatchewan in the 1906-1936 timeframe.  Mom's best meal was roast beef and Yorkshire pudding. Her gravy was to die for. Off days, when a quick meal was required was usually toad in a hole. Emergency food, when a pack of tired and hungry kids needed feeding could be a large pyrex pie plate with eggs broken in and covered with grated cheddar then baked.

Boiled and mashed turnip can be surprisingly good, especially when carrot and parsnip are included. Sweetened up with brown sugar was routine.
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2014, 03:18:47 PM »
My mom's heritage is Yorkshire toned down with Ontario in the 1830's and Saskatchewan in the 1906-1936 timeframe.  Mom's best meal was roast beef and Yorkshire pudding. Her gravy was to die for. Off days, when a quick meal was required was usually toad in a hole. Emergency food, when a pack of tired and hungry kids needed feeding could be a large pyrex pie plate with eggs broken in and covered with grated cheddar then baked.

Boiled and mashed turnip can be surprisingly good, especially when carrot and parsnip are included. Sweetened up with brown sugar was routine.

No it can't.  I grew up on that stuff and would rather starve than let any get in my mouth.

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 396
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2014, 04:51:22 PM »
I used the term "surprisingly" deliberately. As it is an acquired taste, but I did enjoy it.  Nowadays, its hard even to find parsnips.
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2014, 05:30:44 PM »
In my case I'd be surprised if I could choke it down.   :D

Offline Stu Kettle

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2014, 06:56:10 PM »
Funny how that works. Some folks are nostalgic for he foods the grew up with while others are glad they don't have to eat that crap.  For me it's pinto beans & fried potatoes.  Lived on em as a kid & I could still eat em day in & day out. My sister can't gag em down.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com