Author Topic: Thoughts on Spencers back in 1868...56-50 vs 50-70  (Read 11650 times)

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Thoughts on Spencers back in 1868...56-50 vs 50-70
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2005, 12:28:24 PM »
My quick reference shows:

Burnside produced 30,496
Spencer - 64,685

Thus giving Ordnance 95,181 'Carbines'.

No figure on Rifles.

Figure in the fact that Spencer went out of business in 1869 - with assets being purchased by Winchester - and that was essentially the end of issue after the Trapdoor was introduced in 1873.

The Spencer carbine was quickly overshadowed by the lever-action Winchester and with Winchester buying Spencer's equipment - they insured that Spencer wouldn't compete.

The fact is too - that upon adoption - the Army wanted their rifles and carbines to share a commonality - for ammunition and for repair.

They were, after all - the 'new' arm of the United States Army...

Keeping a now-obsolete arm in Service - with almost zero chance of repair parts availability - could have undue consequences.

1873 was the date of adoption of the Trapdoor - and turn-in was fairly rapid.

Spencers continuing service were generally issued to Scouts and the like - not to line troops.

Arguments for and against the Spencer would fuel many a campfire and there were articles written in 'The Army-Navy Journal' so stating their superiority - but you 'have' to factor in the hide-bound attitude of senior Officers and an impecunoius Congress.

When that happens - then as now - the trooper takes a back seat.

Vaya,

Scouts Out!

"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Grass Valley, CA in the Sierra Nevada Mountains
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 46
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2005, 12:31:24 PM »
Amen, Hermano!
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators

Offline Dakota Widowmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS# 65062
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2005, 03:13:28 PM »
One clarification and one comment.

Clarification:
The Spencer company was never sold to Winchester. It was sold first to a local company that (during the sale) changed its name to American Repeating Arms Company (or something of that nature).

Ol' Winchester himself wanted to buy Spencer out, but, couldn't get the price down to where he wanted.

After ARAC(?) went (more or less) belly up, Winchester then came in and snatched it up for $118K...and then promptly turned around and sold off all their assets in an auction for $138K.

Comment:
Oliver Winchester was a business man first, everything else was secondary...

It was said Oliver got into the firearms biz because he wanted the gubmint contracts that went along with them...he was never able to sell his shirts on gubmint contracts and thereby reap the rewards.

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 09:06:42 AM »

Offline Backstrap Bill

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2005, 01:19:35 PM »
I wonder what some Swiss 3F would do to bring a little more zip to the 56-50?  I might give that a try when I get my Rapine 350-T mould (Ray says I'll have it around Thanksgiving).
Ain't got to where I'm going, but I'm past where I been.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com