Author Topic: Lever actions and cartridge throw direction  (Read 4003 times)

Offline Keith

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Lever actions and cartridge throw direction
« on: July 16, 2014, 10:29:30 AM »
Hello. I am gradually getting in CAS and have yet to purchase a lever gun. Being a left-handed shooter, long guns always present a problem when it comes to the angle of cartridge ejection. I was hoping that perhaps some of you more experienced shooters may be able to help me with some recommendations. I'm looking for something in .38/.357 that won't bounce casings off my hat, shooting glasses, cheek, forehead or any other random location that would not respond well to heated brass. Anything in the way help - including humorous comments - would be appreciated. Thank you. Keith

Offline jimbobborg

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Lever actions and cartridge throw direction
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2014, 08:50:21 AM »
I wear a hat when I shoot my lever and pump action rifles specifically for this reason.  The only lever rifle I own that doesn't require my wearing a hat is my Winchester 94AE in .45 Colt.  I'd suggest you snag a Marlin since they are side-eject rifles.  Any non-angle-eject Winchester will have the same problem.  Same with any Colt Lightning rifle clone.

Offline Kent Shootwell

• Top Active Citizen
  • Got whiskey, will stumble.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 22
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2014, 05:53:53 PM »
The hat is the answer to all your cares! Be sides how can you play cowboy with out one? I shoot long guns left handed too and the Marlin never gives me any grief then again my 73 tosses the brass on my hat  and gives it those pretty little rings of soot!
Little powder much lead shoots far kills dead.
Member, whiskey livers
AKA Phil Coffins, AKA Oliver Sudden

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 03:21:12 AM »

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2014, 07:18:55 PM »
Marlin.  The answer is Marlin.
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

Offline Octagonal Barrel

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2014, 12:04:21 AM »
"Raindrops keep falling on my head" never did it for me.  "Spent brass keeps falling on my hat" does.  Still waiting for the recording to come out.  +1 to jimboborg and Kent Shootwell.

After CAS practice with someone else's Winchester '73, I bought a pre-buyout Marlin '94, which I love shooting.  But, alas, the minor thump of brass on the brim no longer happens.  So +1 to Drydock, too.  Your choices are up (top eject Winchester) and out (side eject Marlin).  For anything else, you could contact those guys at Red Jacket if you have the money.  But it wouldn't pass NCOWS or SASS since it wouldn't be pre 1899.  If you really don't want your hat touched, go Marlin.  (pre-buyout if you can find it.)
Drew Early, SASS #98534

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com