Author Topic: Taylors and Co Sharps 138 1874  (Read 11868 times)

Offline Crazyhorse314

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Taylors and Co Sharps 138 1874
« on: July 15, 2014, 05:28:42 PM »
 :) Looking at a Taylor and Co. 1874 Sharps, model 138.  Just to get me going.  Any thoughts and feed back would be appreciated.

Offline rbertalotto

• Top Active Citizen
    • RVB Precision
  • Liked:
Re: Taylors and Co Sharps 138 1874
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2014, 07:59:17 PM »
Beautiful rifle...

Might want to look at the Lyman 1878 which is a copy of the 1877 Sharps. Beautiful rifle for around $1200 street price. Both of these rifles are made by Pedersoli.
Roy B
South of Boston
www.rvbprecision.com
SASS #93544

Offline Blair

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2014, 09:24:38 AM »
Crazthorse314,

Taylors & Co is a dealer for Davide Pedersoli and for Chiappa.
Both the companies make Sharps copies.
I would suggest you check with Taylor to see who the Manufacture is of the model you are interested in buying.
My best,
 Blair
A Time for Prayer.
"In times of war and not before,
God and the soldier we adore.
But in times of peace and all things right,
God is forgotten and the soldier slighted"
by Rudyard Kipling.
Blair Taylor
Life-C 21

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 01:56:59 AM »

Offline Ranch 13

• Top Active Citizen
    • Historic Shooting.com
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2014, 10:03:40 AM »
Having first hand experience with the 138. I would really suggest you look for something different. The barrel on this rifle is the equal of any, the fit is pretty good, the finish is alright but nothing to brag on.
 The chamber on this rifle is a goofball dang thing it's to long for 45-70 and just a tad short for 45-90. The lock springs are not quite right, and loosing temper. The trigger springs are constantly changing, so loctiting the scews to keep the thing adjusted so it'll shoot is out of the question... On the subject of screws Loctite will be your friend on things like the hammer screw that backs out every 20 rounds or so.
 The rest of the internal lock parts are not hardened properly, the sear is prone to chippage and it will take you minimum of 2 weeks and in excess of 50$ to get a replacement that will require about 2 hours of work to properly fit.. The breechblock is very soft.Taylor's really aren't interested in hearing of your problems and there are certainly no discounts on parts... Oh did I mention that the firing pin will drag the cases until it breaks.. I also know of another rifle that is hell on firing pins, but there is no production pin that will fit and must be custom made..
 Other than that she's cherry. :-\
Eat more beef the west wasn't won on a salad.

Offline Blair

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2014, 11:04:53 AM »
Ranch 13,

Can you identify the actual manufacture of your #138?
I am not familiar with Taylors numbering system for their firearms.

This is partly why I made my suggested the OP to find out from Taylors.

I have some input with Davide Pedersoli. If this is a problem with one of their firearms, they would like to know so they can correct the issue (s). I will pass them on for you if you and if it is a DP product.
I can not offer any help if it is Chiappa/Armi Sport  made.
My best,
 Blair
A Time for Prayer.
by Rudyard Kipling.
Blair Taylor
Life-C 21

Offline Ranch 13

• Top Active Citizen
    • Historic Shooting.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2014, 11:18:07 AM »
This one was made by Armi.
They have changed their sku numbering, but this is the basic rifle, only the earlier 138's wore a 32 inch barrel.
http://www.taylorsfirearms.com/cartridge-rifles/1874-sharps-collection/1874-sharps-business-rifle-45-70-28-octagonal-schnabel-forend.html

Offline Blair

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2014, 11:35:58 AM »
Ranch 13,

Sorry, I can't help you.
I can offer you possible USA contact info...

Chiappa Firearms, Ltd.
PO Box 26178
Dayton, Ohio 45426-0178
Tel 937-854-1040
www.chiappafirearms.com
info@chiappafirearms.com

Hope this helps.
My best,
 Blair
A Time for Prayer.
by Rudyard Kipling.
Blair Taylor
Life-C 21

Offline Ranch 13

• Top Active Citizen
    • Historic Shooting.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2014, 12:19:05 PM »
Thanks Blair, but this thing is just religated to the occasional shooter thing.
Taylor's said it was past warranty, and even tho it was only about 2 years old and I was the original owner there wasn't much they could do for me, but if I wanted to send them the rifle and about 600$ they could fix it right up... So I kept the rifle sent the 600$ to C Sharps as a deposit on my first rifle from them..Now when in the odd chance something goes wrong like a broken lever spring or firing pin, it's just a phone call to CSA or Shiloh and a few days wait away...

Offline Blair

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2014, 12:38:31 PM »
Ranch 13,

I understand.
Just so you know, the problem, in my opinion, is not with Taylors.
I truly believe Taylors would try to fix it if they had the support of the manufacture.

Still, that is one heck of a price to pay for a tomato stake, ain't it?
My best,
 Blair
A Time for Prayer.
by Rudyard Kipling.
Blair Taylor
Life-C 21

Offline Ranch 13

• Top Active Citizen
    • Historic Shooting.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2014, 12:50:00 PM »
Yeh it was sort of aggrevating, because when that rifle works it doesn't take a back seat to any bpcr rifle,,,, unfortunately with the screw ball chamber , lead mining between relays is mandatory when using 45-70 cases, and right in the middle of a string all of a sudden the trigger spring changes and the only way to fire is pull the front trigger thru, or the hammer falls off.....

Offline Jayhawker

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2014, 06:54:49 PM »
Having first hand experience with the 138. I would really suggest you look for something different. The barrel on this rifle is the equal of any, the fit is pretty good, the finish is alright but nothing to brag on.
 The chamber on this rifle is a goofball dang thing it's to long for 45-70 and just a tad short for 45-90. The lock springs are not quite right, and loosing temper. The trigger springs are constantly changing, so loctiting the scews to keep the thing adjusted so it'll shoot is out of the question... On the subject of screws Loctite will be your friend on things like the hammer screw that backs out every 20 rounds or so.
 The rest of the internal lock parts are not hardened properly, the sear is prone to chippage and it will take you minimum of 2 weeks and in excess of 50$ to get a replacement that will require about 2 hours of work to properly fit.. The breechblock is very soft.Taylor's really aren't interested in hearing of your problems and there are certainly no discounts on parts... Oh did I mention that the firing pin will drag the cases until it breaks.. I also know of another rifle that is hell on firing pins, but there is no production pin that will fit and must be custom made..
 Other than that she's cherry. :-\

I concur with Ranch....I had that rifle and it exhibited every problem of which he speaks. When my gunsmith got into the lock, he said he's never seen a bigger mess....rebuilt the whole lock and trigger mechanism in order to make it function reliably and then I sent it down the road...
Life is NOT like a box of chocolates...it more like a jalapeno...what you do today might burn your butt tomorrow...

Offline rdstrain49

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2014, 03:51:14 PM »
Taylor's web site states the manufacturer is Chiappa.  My only experience is with Pedersoli's.  Both of mine are superb rifles.  Lots of rounds through both and never a problem.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com