Author Topic: instructions / disassembly / reassembly for new Uberti 1873 short rifle  (Read 8319 times)

Offline Will Lynchem

• Top Active Citizen
  • New York City? Get a rope!!!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
I recently purchased a new Uberti 1873 short rifle for CAS. Upon removing the side covers, all the guts fell out. I have one square clip with a tang on it it I can't seem to find where it goes.  I have an older model that doesn't have this clip. I contacted Uberti and they don't offer anything
Other than their pitta full one page owners manual.  Does anyone know where I can pick up a comprehensive illustrated parts list or manual that tells how to dissemble and reassemble the newer Uberti 1873s? Thanks in advance,  Will Lynchem.
I call that bold talk for a one eyed fat man!!! 
NRA / Dirty Rats # 703 /  SASS # 99703

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 362
I think the part your speaking of is the wedge that goes on the bolt where the firing pin extension and bolt attach. They changed that design a few years back and I don't know if the schematics have been changed to show it.

It is sort of a wedge that goes in a cut out in the bolt, I think it is called a firing pin stop. I didn't think it would just fall off though, I thought you had to drive the pin out.

I've never seen a newer schematic that shows this in detail.
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
A photo would be nice so we know what you are talking about.  The schematic on VTI's website is up to date.

http://www.vtigunparts.com/store/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=42&cat=Uberti+1873+Rifle

Sounds like you might be talking about part 721.  It should not have come out unless the link pin also fell out.

Advertising

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
That is the part I thought Will is talking about, I've always had to drive that pin out with a fair amount of persuasion.

Johnson County Rangers

Offline Will Lynchem

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Cliff, you hit the nail on the head. After looking at the schematic that Pettyifogger posted, it is part 721 on the picture. You say that you have to drive the pin out. All I have to do is remove the side covers and turn the gun on its side and all the pins fall out. Including the pins that hold the linkedge and springs in. I did have a full action job and 5th generation short stroke kit installed.  Thanks for the pic Pettifogger! I will print that out and commence to try and put this thing back together tomorrow.  W.L.

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
The pin goes through the bolt and through the hole in the stop (wedge looking thinky). You will have to put the wedge in a certain way for the hole to line up. You need to have the firing pin extension and bolt all assembled and in position as that stop/wedge is what holds it all together. I'm sure you'll figure it out ;) Hope that helps

Johnson County Rangers

Offline Will Lynchem

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Got it 1873 back together! Thanks to both of you,  much abliged!  W.L. ;D

Offline rdstrain49

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Don't feel bad Will.  Mine falls out too.  I made a short "assembly" pin out of bamboo to hold things in place while cleaning etc.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com