Author Topic: The waiting begins...Winch/Miroku ( 3/4/15 UPDATE)  (Read 17771 times)

Offline TDW

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
The waiting begins...Winch/Miroku ( 3/4/15 UPDATE)
« on: July 10, 2014, 09:27:01 AM »
I recently purchased one of the new Winchester/Miroku m1873 short rifles in .45 Colt. I ran a box of Winchester Cowboy .250 gr. through it to see how it functions. I wasn't too worried about accuracy with the Cowboy bullets, as I will be shooting handloads out of it. I immediately noticed that I could not get a group better than 3 inches at 25 yards, benched. I blackened the sights and gave it another try with the same results. Moved out to 50 yards and could hardly keep 5 shots on a target... Took it home to clean it (scratching my head the whole time, trying to come up with a good reason for MY poor performance). Upon close inspection, the bore was badly leaded for the last 5 inches or so (good lube star at the muzzle). After much cleaning and eventually using a combination of Lead Away cloth and Shooter's choice, I was able to get most of it out. The bore has a rough spot in the form of a ring of pitting at the same spot as the magazine support bracket. I took the rifle to a gunsmith friend with a bore scope, and he said the rough spot was pitting and some kind of scratch marks (as if some one had tried to remove rust with a tool of some kind). He said the pitting and scratches were under the bluing.  :(
   I called the Winchester Customer Service Dept in Arnold, Mo who were very helpful, and was emailed a return shipping label 5 minutes later :). I sent the rifle, a letter of explanation about the return, all well packaged, that same day. In my letter I stated the problem and my gunsmith's opinion that the barrel would have to be replaced (Not sure how they would handle that with the Miroku products). UPS notified me that the package was received at the Return Dept on the 8th.
   Other than the problem with the bore the rifle was perfect in every way (I particularly liked the traditional straight, even color, grain of the stocks) and functioned flawlessly. I am pretty certain I will not have my new toy back for this season, but I really have no experience with Winchester/BACo/Miroku customer service....Hope I get a call soon.... :'(

Anyone here ever deal with Winchester/Miroku warranty repair?

Just needed to share my frustration........
Tom
The farther North you go, the more things you will run into that will eat your horse.

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: The waiting begins...Winchester Customer Service
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2014, 10:34:50 AM »
Given that it got to the loading dock on the 8th, and not onto a bench - and today's the 10th - just how fast do you think it'll get worked on in the summer vacation season?

Right now, all you know is that the numbered package made it to Arnold, Missouri - not that it's been opened and inspected.

It has to be looked at by several QC folks before being assigned to a workman and given a repair number - along with a projected date - and that's 'if' they even give projected dates, and many won't.

Be patient - 'Instant Gratification' and 'Firearms Warranty  Repair' don't go hand in hand by a long shot, and that's why most shooters own spares.

Scouts Out!
"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Offline Cactus Rope

• Cactus Rope
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2014, 09:42:08 PM »
Living in a town where a board member for Olin Corp. lives and having dealt with this person and discussed many things including this very thing. He has said that in past days when Winchester got a gun back that they would generally send out a new gun and then work on the defective gun in their own time. Don't know if this is the case with Miroku. You might be pleasantly surprised. Can't guarantee it.
NRA * GAF * NCOWS *

"Every oncet in a while, you have to step in it to learn the lesson."

Advertising

Re: The waiting begins...Winch/Miroku ( 3/4/15 UPDATE)
« Reply #3 on: Today at 01:22:34 AM »

Offline TDW

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2014, 12:36:46 PM »
Just an update for anyone who might be interested in this.
   Today (July 14th) I received a postcard from Browning Arms in Arnold, Mo. It is basically a note that the rifle has arrived at the facility and will be inspected. They explain that they are very busy and have a large volume of service items to attend to. They give you a service number and a pass code so you can track the progress of the repair on their online site (which I thought was very nice !). Just out of curiosity, I went online to see if there was any information about my rifle. The site listed it as " in for inspection by the repair manager", which sounds hopeful.
   I worked for Shiloh Rifle Co. for 16 years as the final inspector and head of the assembly dept. I know first hand that bad parts/mistakes/flawed assembly can happen to any company, no matter how careful or small the shop. I do believe that how a company handles that error is what is important. Sure, I'm disappointed that my new toy was flawed right out of the box. Like most of us, $1100 is a lot of money for me to spend. There are bound to be hiccups with any production item. Being a new receiver shape, new tooling, and procedures has probably caused no little amount of heartburn for the Miroku crew.
    I am encouraged by the way this has been handled to date and feel that BACo. will make this right in a reasonable time frame.....but the little kid in me wants them to hurry  :) !!!
Tom

The farther North you go, the more things you will run into that will eat your horse.

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 636
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2014, 10:22:31 PM »
Thanks for the update.  Please keep it up--this is informative.

CC Griff
Manager, WT Ranch--Coal Creek Division

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
1860 Henry Rifle Shooter #173
SSS #573

Offline TDW

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
Re: The waiting begins...Winchester Customer Service (UPDATE)
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2014, 08:36:37 AM »
The Browning Arms website now states my m1873 Win/Miroku has been assigned to a gunsmith for repair, and they have posted an estimated completion date of July 15, 2014... The website seems to be a little behind the work, but it is being updated pretty frequently. I'm very encouraged !  :)
Tom

Offline cpt dan blodgett

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS Conv 2013
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
Re: The waiting begins...Winchester Customer Service (UPDATE)
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2014, 06:21:54 PM »
Sounds like they are not wasting any time fixing it.  Let us know what the did (a new barrel should be the answer), when you get it back and how it shoots after the repairs please.
Queen of Battle - "Follow Me"
NRA Life
DAV Life
ROI, ROII

Offline TDW

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
Re: The waiting begins...Winchester Customer Service (UPDATE),7/26/14)
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2014, 08:20:29 AM »
just checked the website this morning (7/26) and it now says a replacement is being processed and should be ready by 7/23 (seems they are a few days behind on the website dates...not a big deal to me). It doesn't actually say that they are replacing the rifle (not just the barrel) but the way this has been routed ( exam by repair manager, assigned to gunsmith, being repaired, and now it says " replacement is being processed for the customer" makes it sound like they are replacing the whole rifle. I would be good with that as well  :) When I sent the rifle in for repair, I noted that if replacement of the entire rifle was necessary, I would be happy with either .45 Colt or .44WCF as I load for both. I might give them a call Monday to see if I can get some detail about what is happening.
   Pretty pleased with BACo so far.
I will keep you posted
Tom

Offline TDW

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
Re: The waiting begins...Winch/Miroku ( 7/31/14 UPDATE)
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2014, 12:26:30 PM »
Couldn't stand it any longer, so I called Customer Service.....They are waiting for the next shipment from Miroku...3+ months away :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(
Tom

Offline cpt dan blodgett

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS Conv 2013
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2014, 01:14:21 AM »
Know this is killing you but take solace in there only being approx 1 month left.  Keep us posted please.  Kinda like the waiting for a new baby to pop out,
NRA Life
DAV Life
ROI, ROII

Offline cpt dan blodgett

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS Conv 2013
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2014, 11:16:11 PM »
TDW, did you get it??? If so have you shot it.
NRA Life
DAV Life
ROI, ROII

Offline TDW

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2015, 04:53:26 PM »
Cpt.Dan and everyone,
   I sent Dan a PM about this today, and then figured I better go back to put a finish on this thread.
I called on Winchester/BACo around the first of every month until December. Every time I was polite, and they were polite (no reason not to be, not like it was the service guys fault or something) The whole time, they were insistent that they had NO idea when the next shipment would arrive (as they were going to replace, rather than repair). About the second week in Dec. I called again and told them that a that point, I would be happy to receive any caliber they DID have rather than wait for a 45. The fellow I talked to told me they would be happy to upgrade my rifle to the CCH version as an apology. I told them I would take anything at that point (although I actually prefer the blued finish). They still had no idea when the next shipment would be in from Japan. A week after that I receive a check from BACo for a full refund of the price of the rifle.... No explanation, no note, nothing...... I called once more, but no one seemed to know anything about it.

I cashed the check, bought some Christmas presents with the money, and decided to move on.

The 73's are beautiful, the service people were doing their best( but had NO information to work with), and it just leaves me with the thought of "what a strange way to run a company!!

Scratched the "new gun" itch by buying a 95% finish Colt 1903 .32 Hammerless, that appeared to be unfired!!
Tom W.

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 421
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2015, 05:48:46 AM »
Up date.... M1873 Win/Miroku disapproved by NCOWS Congress 3/6/15
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2015, 10:23:50 AM »
Up date.... M1873 Win/Miroku disapproved by NCOWS Congress 3/6/15

Why?

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2015, 11:21:15 AM »
Judge & Authenticity recommended it as dis-approved , Congress voted in favor of their recommendation to disapprove. 

Offline John Smith

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2015, 08:54:54 AM »
Judge & Authenticity recommended it as dis-approved , Congress voted in favor of their recommendation to disapprove. 

Again, why did the Judge and Authenticity recommend it be dis-approved.  Why isn't it "authentic"?

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2015, 09:43:31 AM »
It will be in the Meeting Minutes ...

Offline John Smith

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2015, 11:34:00 AM »
It will be in the Meeting Minutes ...

Why won't you give us a straight answer?  Is it you don't know the reason?  You posted this in an non NCOWS open forum, some visitors may not be NCOWS members and unable to view the Congress meeting minutes.

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2015, 01:33:08 PM »
Don't shoot the messenger, I simply announced it in the forum ... no dog in the fight ! 
I'm not getting to a banter about it, I'm no longer the Judge nor on the Authenticity Committee....

I was not present at the Congress meeting , I was unable to attend this year...
I'm sure there was discussion ....
perhaps, but not limited to , short stroke , Re bound hammer & upper breach visible screw etc.

and before someone screams it's not Short Stoked . regardless of what Win/Miroku calls the action
check out the photo below

foreground is original OEM 73
second is the Win/Miroku  ( whatever Miroku calls the reduced arc lever )
and 3rd or last is 3th. gen,  Short stroke Uberti w/ the wrap...

Roger & out !

Offline Blair

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2015, 02:23:10 PM »
Major 2,

Good reply!
The minutes of the latest Congress Meeting (3-6-15) have not been posted on the NCOWS forum yet.
If you want an explanation, wait for the report. What is the hurry?
My best,
 Blair
A Time for Prayer.
"In times of war and not before,
God and the soldier we adore.
But in times of peace and all things right,
God is forgotten and the soldier slighted"
by Rudyard Kipling.
Blair Taylor
Life-C 21

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com