Author Topic: Loading gates flopping open  (Read 8128 times)

Offline jimbobborg

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Loading gates flopping open
« on: July 08, 2014, 03:06:00 PM »
Both of my Uberti Bisleys have this problem.  The loading gates keep flopping open.  Is there an easy fix for this or do I need to send them to a gun smith?

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1215
Re: Loading gates flopping open
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2014, 04:31:46 PM »
That's not a particularly common problem and it's a little odd that both of yours are doing it.  But it should be simple.  Look at the parts diagram:

http://www.vtigunparts.com/store/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=27&cat=Uberti+Bisley

I would guess a worn or broken gate spring, item 136.  You will have to remove the backstrap and triggerguard, then remove the gate catch screw and the spring and Gate Catch (or plunger), item 134.

Offline jimbobborg

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2014, 07:46:55 PM »
Thanks!  Wish they had a set of springs for sale like Cabela's does with their Pietta springs.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 12:16:30 PM »

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2014, 08:45:38 PM »
It is a coil spring so like Abilene said it is EXTREMELY odd that both would fail.  The first thing I would do is remove the screw, spring and plunger to make sure it is in there.  Then put everything back in and tighten the screw until the gate functions correctly.

Offline jimbobborg

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2014, 07:35:37 AM »
Mr. Pettifogger,

When I received these revolvers from the previous owner, both had extremely loose screws.  One even showed up with the ejector housing floating around in the bag!  Maybe some of the internal screws are loose, which would explain a lot.  I'll take a look.

Offline jimbobborg

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2014, 06:56:46 PM »
After removing the grips and trigger guard, I found that the screw holding the spring and plunger in the loading gate assembly was almost completely backed out on both revolvers.  And the screws holding the back strap in are covered by the grips on the Bisleys, so I didn't even look at them before, All four (both guns) were backed out.  I tightened down all of the screws, and the two revolvers were like brand new.  I need to find my purple lock-tite bottle and screw them in again.  Thanks, gents!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com