Author Topic: Shiloh Advice - Used, New or Both  (Read 10140 times)

Offline Hargrave

• " Prairie Smoke" Jake
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Shiloh Advice - Used, New or Both
« on: June 30, 2014, 09:56:47 PM »
First, I know this is actually a silly question .... the answer is obviously BOTH.

But ... about 17 years ago while in grad school, I put in an order for a new Shiloh. Sent in my deposit and then got busy with work and life, moved a few times and lost all the paperwork. Got so busy with work, I never was able to re-connect with Shiloh and then had kids and just lost track. Well, now I am at the point in my life, when it is time to revisit my lifelong passion and I have some time to enjoy along with enough funds to indulge myself within reason.

I am looking to purchase a nice used Shiloh and then get a few more on order. I would imagine that after 17 years, Shiloh does not have a record of the transaction either and I start a new process.

I plan on getting up to 5 Shiloh's eventually (one to leave to each daughter and a 5th for the fun of it) and listed them out below.

If anyone has an idea of where I can find any of these on the list within the used market, I would appreciate some info. If anyone has any advice, I am all ears ... Thanks.

74 - Early Buffalo (50/70) standard stock heavy barrel
74 - Billy Dixon (50/90) with 14lb barrel
74 - Creedmoor (44/90BN)
74 - Late Buffalo (45/90 or 45/70)
77 - 45/90 w/ round barrel and Rigby Flats.

Cheers and looking forward to hearing from the gallery.

"Prairie Smoke" Jake
Houston, TX
In matters of style, swim with the current;
In matters of principle, stand like a rock.
(Thomas Jefferson)

Offline Ranch 13

• Top Active Citizen
    • Historic Shooting.com
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
Re: Shiloh Advice - Used, New or Both
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2014, 08:02:21 AM »
 Keep an eye on Gunbroker and Guns International for the used rifles you're seeking.
As for your original order and ordering a new one the best thing to do would be to call Shiloh and ask them, it's a pretty good bet they have you in their records.
Eat more beef the west wasn't won on a salad.

Offline Hargrave

• " Prairie Smoke" Jake
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2014, 11:34:31 PM »
Ranch 13,

I think I found a solution. I have a nice 45/70 in the works that should work for my needs on a late buffalo rifle. Had a long talk today with the dealer and think I will give him my business. 

I did find a few for sale through Arizona Sharps Shooters site and talked to the owner of a couple of Shiloh Rifles for sale. I think I am going to try and meet up with him next Friday in Phoenix while I am out there on business. Who knows, might end up with a few before this is all said and done:-) He has a very nice 50/90 for sale but the overall rifle is only 9.4 lbs. That seems a bit light and I have to do some research on the topic.

Thanks for the suggestion on contacting Shiloh. I will give them a buzz sometime soon and see if they still have my original 44/90BN order. We can see what sort of lead time they will give me on that one. I happen to have 100+ brass and dies for it already that I purchased back in grad school when I originally placed the order. Found the boxes of brass and dies in the basement when cleaning the other day. That is what spurred me into action when I found them.

Thanks again for the counsel,
   Jacob
"Prairie Smoke" Jake
Houston, TX
(Thomas Jefferson)

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 02:59:11 PM »

Offline Short Knife Johnson

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2014, 12:10:29 PM »
I'm curious how this will pan out. 

My understanding is the deposits are not refundable, but they can be deferred if you ask nice.  Let us know how you make out. 

Offline BILLYDIXON

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2014, 08:10:48 PM »
Howdy I've got two .50/90. My first one I bought in 1979 as a barreled action. I put a really nice piece of walnut on it. But it only weighed 9 lbs. I thought my Ruger #1 45/70 kicked with heavy loads that was nothing from the kick of a 9 lb 50/90. I was 25 then. I usually shot in a t-shirt. But we do get older. Shiloh finally allowed me to return it for a heavy barrel a lot more comfortable to shoot. I'm going to sell one a C.Sharps HB 50/90 on gun broker this month if your interested send me a email.
NRA Benefactor Life
GOA Life
NSSA Life
AMA Life

Offline Litl Red

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2014, 11:01:05 AM »
How are you doing with your collecting?

I gotta ask:   Why not consider C.Sharps.  Every one I've bought has been delivered when promised and have shot like gangbusters.   The first one took a couple of months to build, the last one was chosen from their list of "For Sale" rifles and took no time.  A buddy just got a couple of years ago in 7 weeks. 

Shiloh and C.Sharps are within sight of each other on the same street.  They both use the same barrel maker.  BTW   

Offline Short Knife Johnson

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2014, 11:12:46 AM »
How are you doing with your collecting?

I gotta ask:   Why not consider C.Sharps.  Every one I've bought has been delivered when promised and have shot like gangbusters.   The first one took a couple of months to build, the last one was chosen from their list of "For Sale" rifles and took no time.  A buddy just got a couple of years ago in 7 weeks. 

Shiloh and C.Sharps are within sight of each other on the same street.  They both use the same barrel maker.  BTW   

I'm afraid that's not true.  The crew at Shiloh makes everything in house down to the screws. They have a complete barrel making setup. C. Sharps sources their barrels. Last I heard it was Green Mountain.  It is true that yes, you stand on the front porch of the Shiloh Rifle shop and can see the C. Sharps shop. 

Offline Ranch 13

• Top Active Citizen
    • Historic Shooting.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2014, 12:13:07 PM »

No they do not use the same barrel maker. C Sharps used to use Badger barrels, now they are using Green Mtn, unless a customer can talk them into using a barrel the customer sends them.
 Shiloh on the other hand makes their barrels in house, and at the moment I don't believe a person can find a finer bpcr barrel anywhere at any price than the ones Shiloh currently ships on their rifles.

Offline Litl Red

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2014, 02:40:05 PM »
Thanks for the correction.   I should have said, "from what I heard some years back".   

I used a Green Mtn in the reclamation of a Marlin 32-20 awhile back and it turned out great. 

Offline Hargrave

• " Prairie Smoke" Jake
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2014, 06:21:37 PM »
Hello everyone.

I do have a Shiloh coming in soon. I have a 45/70 30" standard heavy barrel with straight stock, double triggers and steel shotgun butt stock. I am eager to get it and waiting with baited breath.

I am thinking of putting in a 2nd order soon as well. This one would be a 50/90 w/ 14lb bull barrel 30", pewter cap, antique finish and so forth.

As for C Sharps ... interestingly enough, I emailed them asking them about a model 1875. I found the attached picture and wanted them to replicate that rifle. Most notably, I wanted the softer edges than the 75 they make now. I have not heard back from them but am ready to pull the trigger on it when they get back to me.

"Prairie Smoke" Jake
Houston, TX
(Thomas Jefferson)

Offline Litl Red

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2014, 06:59:30 PM »
As for C Sharps ... interestingly enough, I emailed them asking them about a model 1875. I found the attached picture and wanted them to replicate that rifle. Most notably, I wanted the softer edges than the 75 they make now. I have not heard back from them but am ready to pull the trigger on it when they get back to me.

The picture you attached of the original looks very much like one they have for sale today on their website.  It appears they've already created something very similar to that original. 

http://csharpsarms.com/catalog-detail/284/CUSTOM-SHOP-1875-40-65.html

Offline Litl Red

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2014, 07:01:46 PM »
I wonder if it's actually possible for them to round the "sharp edges" on a case hardened receiver, something made in volume to keep costs within reason?

Offline Blackpowder Burn

• Top Active Citizen
  • Smoke & Lightning
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2014, 07:44:39 PM »
I have a C Sharps 1875 Sharps carbne in 45-70 that will shoot 1-hole 3-shot groups with BP.  It has a Badger Barrel.

Couldn't ask for better, and I bought it right off the rack.
SUBLYME AND HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT
Learned Brother at Armes

Offline Bruce W Sims

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2014, 08:50:54 AM »
You folks have a lot more experience than I'll ever have...so this seems like the place to ask.
Does "hunting" ever factor into your decisions about what sort of SHARPS to purchase? For instance,
I understand that the "Quigley" model SHARPS made by Shiloh weighs in at 13# and I couldn't
see hauling that cannon all over Gawd's Half-Acre, but maybe someone does. There is a lot of
references to range work. Does anyone take their baby hunting....and which one did you decide
on?

Best Wishes,

Bruce
Best Wishes,

Bruce

Offline Ranch 13

• Top Active Citizen
    • Historic Shooting.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2014, 09:15:49 AM »
 I use my Sharps rifles for hunting, two of them have 30 inch heavy barrels and weigh a tad over 12 lbs. The other one has a 32 inch standard weight barrel and weighs a touch over 10 lbs. Hunting with a sharps isn't for office girls...

Offline Bruce W Sims

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2014, 09:39:11 AM »
I use my Sharps rifles for hunting, two of them have 30 inch heavy barrels and weigh a tad over 12 lbs. The other one has a 32 inch standard weight barrel and weighs a touch over 10 lbs. Hunting with a sharps isn't for office girls...

....and I'm guessing you use something north of 70grains in your load, yes? /B.
Best Wishes,

Bruce

Offline Ranch 13

• Top Active Citizen
    • Historic Shooting.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2014, 09:44:53 AM »
Depends on the cartridge. Some of them use closer to 80, some use less..

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com