Author Topic: Bolt and cam operation  (Read 7808 times)

Offline Wagon Box Willy

• Top Active Citizen
    • My BPCR/CAS Site
  • SASS #: 89519
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Bolt and cam operation
« on: June 23, 2014, 06:56:33 AM »
Can someone point me to a tutorial or graphic as to how the bolt spring and hammer cam work on a Remington?  I'm not near my guns to take it apart and see how they interact.

Thanks.
  Willy

Offline Flint

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Bolt and cam operation
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2014, 08:08:27 PM »
The ear of the bolt is atop the wide part of the hammer's cam with the hammer down onto the cylinder's cap/nipple, or the SAA's hopefully empty chamber if you haven't fired yet.

When you cock the revolver, the cam carries the rear of the bolt upward, releasing the bolt head downwards from the cylinder notch just before the hand engages the rachet, allowing the hand to turn the cylinder.  At the point where the bolt's extension has been adjusted to slip off the cam, it drops, raising the bolt into the (next) cylinder notch at or about full cock.  Pulling the trigger rotates the hammer forward, and the ramp on the cam pushes the bolt's extension sideways to reset atop the cam's wide surface, ready for the next shot.

Recocking the hammer starts the cycle over...
The man who beats his sword into a plowshare shall farm for the man who did not.

SASS 976, NRA Life
Los Vaqueros and Tombstone Ghost Riders, Tucson/Tombstone, AZ.
Alumnus of Hole in the Wall Gang, Piru, CA, Panorama Sportsman's Club, Sylmar, CA, Ojai Desperados, Ojai, CA, SWPL, Los Angeles, CA

Offline Wagon Box Willy

• Top Active Citizen
    • My BPCR/CAS Site
  • SASS #: 89519
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2014, 08:18:56 PM »
Thanks. 

I ask because on my new Ubertii Conversions one of the legs of the bolt extension filed.  So I assume it was adjusted to fall off the cam at the correct time to lock the cylinder.  I only ask because none of my other Remington's, Uberti or Pietta, have the extension filed to fit.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 11:58:48 AM »

Offline Flint

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2014, 09:28:59 PM »
Re[placement parts are often oversized for adjustability...
The man who beats his sword into a plowshare shall farm for the man who did not.

SASS 976, NRA Life
Los Vaqueros and Tombstone Ghost Riders, Tucson/Tombstone, AZ.
Alumnus of Hole in the Wall Gang, Piru, CA, Panorama Sportsman's Club, Sylmar, CA, Ojai Desperados, Ojai, CA, SWPL, Los Angeles, CA

Offline tommy4toes

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2015, 07:15:47 PM »
Bolt legs can also be filed to adjust when they drop.......that is part of the "tuning" process for a single action revolver.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com