Author Topic: Pedersoli Bullet Sizes  (Read 29903 times)

Offline Otter

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Pedersoli Bullet Sizes
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2014, 07:36:10 PM »
WWE –

I do understand your hesitancy to learn/begin reloading. Most of us are also busy, too, yet we find a way to do what we enjoy apart from the workplace or other commitments. When I first started shooting BPCRs, there were few (if any) commercially loaded BP ammo products available. You have that option, though it is an expensive option. It cost me in the neighborhood of $500 to get brass, primers and all the reloading equipment for my first 45-70 (this was back in the mid-90s so adjust for inflation). I also set up to cast my own bullets, so add another $200 for that equipment. Except for the dies, powder, brass and bullet moulds, all other equipment can be used for virtually any other caliber you may have. If you shoot BP loads (and with your Roller, I would strongly encourage that) your brass will last for years and years – I am still using the same 200 cases I bought nearly 20 years ago and I have reloaded them at least 75 times.

Long story short . . . I can still reload 100 rounds for my 45-70 for about $20 (primers, powder and lead). A lot less than $35 per 20 plus shipping or tax for commercially available ammo.

Do what ya gotta do, but you can shoot a lot more if you’d start reloading.

I commend you for the volunteer work you do, if only we all had that calling and dedication . . .

Best to you and yours . . . Otter
I hate rudeness in a man, I won't tolerate it . . . W.F. Call

NRA Endowment Life Member

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 396
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2014, 01:18:16 PM »
What Otter said, more tactfully than I did. :-[
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Watt and Wadd Watson Ellis
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Howdy, Pardner! Sacramento, Ca here ....
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2014, 10:29:06 AM »
Thank you all for your input,

I probably will start reloading as soon as I get the materials for .45-70, and find some one who can watch me and say,"That's right." or "That's wrong" ... more of the latter I expect ...

And Sir Charles you were right ... after a long thought process, I came to the realization that I am not financially  ready ... I have enough for a first shoot: Will just have to scrounge some cross-sticks ... then I will connect and learn
My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway." John Wayne
NCOWS #3403

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 11:36:50 PM »

Offline Old Top

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2014, 12:23:53 AM »
Wadd,

Wish I was still in Cal I would drive up there and show you how easy it is.  A small Lee Hand Press is quite affordable I think 30 bucks, I may have a spare set of dies for 45-70 I will have to do some digging to find out let me know.

Old Top
I only shoot to support my reloading habit.

Offline cpt dan blodgett

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS Conv 2013
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2014, 04:40:23 PM »
It really is not difficult. Many of us learned just by reading the manual.  Smokeless is less involved than bp but the buffalo hunters reloaded in the field with bp
Queen of Battle - "Follow Me"
NRA Life
DAV Life
ROI, ROII

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2014, 09:30:29 PM »
O.T.

Wish you were here too ... I now have everything except ammo and Cross-Sticks and AMMO .Even had my Pedersoli swaged by a
gunsmith ... was on the money in both cases (.450) the gunsmith's assistant says he started shooting .459 From the get-go.He has a Pedersoli Sharpes in .45-70. As usual, I welcome ANY opinions ...
My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

NCOWS #3403

Offline Old Top

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2014, 11:39:09 PM »
Wadd,

I do have a set of 45-70 Lee dies that I am not useing, let me see what else I can find up here and I will get back with you.  Do you need a press?  And you will need primers, brass, bullets and powder.  Go on line and look at RCBS they have a tutitoral that takes you step by step as to how to reload.

Old Top

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2014, 10:54:41 PM »
Old Top., Capt Dan,Sir Char;es et al:

I do have a press.  It is a very early Lyman if I recall made for another company: Spartan perhaps?)

I  have two bullet molds that I  think I wanna sell:

Both are new Lyman Molds:

Both are Lyman #2640125

Uses Large Handles

.45 cal RN

500 GR

Any one interested? PM me!

NCOWS #3403

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2014, 11:07:08 PM »
Hi,

I also have a set I would like to keep:

A Lee double cavity .459/500gr

Lee #459-500-3R

(Not sure what the 3R stands for)

These I would like to keep (due to the correct diameter)

NCOWS #3403

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: September 08, 2014, 09:54:06 AM »
Here is a current and historical table of Lyman moulds. Current offerings are in CAD, while the oldies are fuzzy;

http://www.three-peaks.net/bullet_molds.htm

The 457125 is a classic for the .45-70, but has problems with wandering measurements. They will usually drop at .459 over the grooves, but the nose can be too small to actually ride the bore, or too tight.  Mine is Great in a clean throat, but won't fully chamber in a fouled barrel. The only way you can tell if it is usable is to cast with it and try it out.

I don't have that LEE mould, but the "R" means round nose I think.  LEE moulds can be good if the blocks don't get scored. A problem with LEEs generally is that the lube grooves can be too shallow for BP. Some  recent offerings meant for BPCR are an exception. The advantage is that LEE products are easily available and cheap. Just right to get started until you reach the level where you move up in skill and experience

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #30 on: September 09, 2014, 09:13:51 PM »

Howdy, Pardner! Sacramento, Ca here ....

View Profile Email Personal Message (Online)

« Reply #31 on: Yesterday at 07:49:57 pm »
   Reply with quote Modify message Remove message
Sir Charl;es,

That is great news about Lee ... just what I am looking for ...cheap and good starting material ... still don't know much about rh]e Lyman ... could be the right diameter and I am selling good molds ... once i get to that point I will have to throw a couple of the Lyman ... like you say, just to see 

NCOWS #3403

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: September 09, 2014, 09:27:58 PM »
Old Top,

The part for the casing I know I could use (I don't have one) But wouldn't the 'top' of it (i.e., the piece that holds the bullet) 'squash' it down ( or at least TRY) to make it something like .450 instead of .459?

NCOWS #3403

Offline Old Top

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: September 10, 2014, 12:40:53 AM »
Wadd,

I do not cast my own bullets I buy them but the part it sounds like what you need is a swadger or a sizer.  The dies will load the rounds but you have to have the right size bullets.  I do not know what the size is for the 45-70 but I will set up the dies to work before I send them to you. I found you a press but it looks as if you have one already, I do have a spare chamfer tool and I am working on a means to clean brass and the right tool to size the brass.  I normally use 3031 powder for my rounds and the lee dipper for that is a 4.30 which gives me the correct grains.  I know most of this is greek to you but it will make sense sooner or later.

Old Top

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: September 10, 2014, 09:44:43 AM »
Old Top,

I DO have a round cleaner ... It says "Tumbler's Tumbler Model B" on it ...although it is several years old, it has only cleaned 50 rounds of Schofield and about 20 rounds of .45-70.

So I can clean some brass for you ...

NCOWS #3403

Offline Otter

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: September 10, 2014, 09:47:36 AM »
WWE,

You do not "squash" the bullet into the case. The bore on your rifle (in a perfect world) will be .450" diameter (lands) and the bullet needed will be .459" diameter to fit the grooves (rifling). The chamber will (should?) be something like .465" diameter at the end of the case - the chamber and the case should closely match. when you pull the trigger on a round, it forces the bullet from the case and into the barrel causing the bullet to engage in the rifling and spin down the barrel and, hopefully, on to the target.

I think what you are "missing" at the top is the die set. You need a full length sizing die and a bullet seating die (which also doubles as a crimping die in many die sets). An expander die is needed for new cases or resized cases - this die will put a small "bell" at the mouth of the case, allowing the bullet to be started into the case prior to seating the bullet. I have my seating/crimp die set to just straighten out that bell and not actually crimp the case mouth to the bullet.

I know this can be confusing but, really, it is not that hard. I actually find loading for BPCR to be easier than loading smokeless for the modern stuff. I would suggest you pick up a copy of "The Black Powder Cartridge Reloading Primer" by Steve Garbe and Mike Venturino. Follow this link - http://www.shopspg.net/Shooting-Books-Reloading-Info_c3.htm . It is a well written book and is illustrated. It will take you from start to finish and has charts and documented loads with a range of bullets and calibers.
I hate rudeness in a man, I won't tolerate it . . . W.F. Call

NRA Endowment Life Member

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: September 10, 2014, 02:17:07 PM »
WWE here is the short version of loading for BPCR.  You can simplify matters quite a bit loading for pistols & stuff;

http://www.wahsatchdesperadoes.com/Intro_to_BPCR_Loading.pdf

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: September 10, 2014, 05:09:04 PM »
Old Top,Sir Charles et al,

I found an old pic of my old press (a Lyman Spartan) ...

Don't have a pic of my cleaner, but here is a pic from where I bought it;

http://www.stainlesstumblingmedia.com/thumler-s-tumbler-model-b-high-speed.html

NCOWS #3403

Offline cpt dan blodgett

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS Conv 2013
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #37 on: September 16, 2014, 05:24:01 PM »
That rifle of yours should do just fine with a .459 diameter bullet.  You do not need to resize the bullets to .450 at all.  Essentially Pedersoli started out with a barrel drilled a .450 inch hole in it.  Then used what ever method they choose to cut the rifling in the barrel - the grooves.  The groove diameter of your rifle should fall in the .475 to .458 range.  My Navy Arms (Pedersoli) Rolling block has a .458 groove diameter bore.
Queen of Battle - "Follow Me"
NRA Life
DAV Life
ROI, ROII

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: September 16, 2014, 09:01:40 PM »
Capn' Dan

I understand I need the top of the die out  and match the build of the bullet, and the top of the lower die to allow the bullet's   over-sized bottom to be fitted in the casing ...Where would I find these items?

TTFN,

NCOWS #3403

Offline Old Top

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: September 17, 2014, 12:50:08 AM »
Wadd,

The expantion of the brass is done with the dies, along with seating  the bullet.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com