Author Topic: Virginian  (Read 4215 times)

Offline Crossdrawnj

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 83
Virginian
« on: June 14, 2014, 03:55:16 PM »
I was just watching a couple of Virginian reruns on ISP channel. I couldn't help notice the both James Dury's and Doug McClure's characters (The Virginan and Trampas) were using SAA's that appeared to be retro fitted with grips (backstrap and trigger guards) from a dragoon. Always liked that show. I can appreciate it more now I realize it featured many Andy Anderson gun rigs.

Offline Crossdrawnj

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Virginian
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2014, 10:54:28 PM »
So.. has anybody else noticed this?

Offline Shawnee McGrutt

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 12
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2014, 02:48:03 PM »
Watched it a lot this winter, but to answer your question, no I have not noticed.  A lot of shows their guns never get out of the holsters.
Next time I watch , I'll pay closer attention.

Shawnee
National Congress of Old West Shootists 3633
Single Action Shooting Society 88462
Society of Remington Revolver Shooters
The Sublyme and Holy Order of the Soot
"I wish I had an answer to that because I'm tired of answering that question." - Yogi Berra

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 08:47:22 PM »

Offline Crossdrawnj

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2014, 10:36:03 AM »
I agree, this is one of those westerns where they do not use their guns often. I remember one issue of GOTOW the author has the AA WD rig Doug McClure used in this series and the after market grip frame from the gun James Drury used in this series. Other than asthetics, I don't understand why they would make an alteration like this.

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2014, 11:02:42 AM »
Because it made them 'different'.

They had brass backstraps - nothing else did.

Just like Johnny Yuma's short-barrelled shotgun carried in the 'custom' holster that was nothing more than the Model 1879 Carbine Scabbard, and the interchangeable barrels of 'The Restless Gun' and Yancey Derringer's inside-the-hatband single-shot Remington.

Then, there was Josh Randall's 'Mare's Laig', that Colt Buntline rig that Wyatt Earp carried that he couldn't draw from unless he kicked his leg out to the side like a Ninja and on and on - everything had a gimmick...

Every sponsor and prop guy was trying to make 'his' guy stand out, in an era that was starting to see a marketing tie-in with kids, and when one cowboy looked a lot like another - save for Roy and Hoppy - and there's just no describing their outfits.

Whenever you want to see 'real' Old West equipment in the old movies and TV shows - don't look at the heroes - look at the bit players in the background who got their outfits directly from the costume/propmaster.

They didn't waste money on the bit players, because they weren't the draw, so those guys wore an awful lot of the 'right' gear, and rode old saddles, too.

Vaya,

Scouts Out!
"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Offline Crossdrawnj

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2014, 02:48:36 PM »
I see your point. But, it was the old TV westerns that got me hooked! I can appreciate the effort of the current run of oaters to get it right. I  still like the Ojala/Alfonso/Anderson outfitted television shows and motion pics that stared it all.

Offline Harley Starr

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2014, 09:13:03 PM »
I had the pleasure of meeting James Drury in Fort Worth a few years back and he had an Andy Anderson Walk and Draw rig right there on the table.
When it comes to gentlemen, he's the real deal.
A work in progress.

Offline Slowhand53

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2014, 07:55:32 PM »
Thought this was kind of neat. Toyguntown sells these James Drury cap gun & holster sets. Sets are limited to 100 and includes a signed photo of Drury

Offline Crossdrawnj

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2014, 10:33:15 AM »
Interesting. Though, its far from the AA W&D standard rig and colt he carried!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com