Author Topic: Installing Colt washers on EMF GW II Californian - need advice  (Read 3654 times)

Offline SilverDollar

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Hello!  I am recently retired and new to CAS.  I have just finally obtained my last two guns necessary for CAS as Great Western II Deluxe 357 mag SAAs but find that, particularly on one gun, the screws back themselves out almost immediately, and after 10 to 50 firings (snap cap, not even powder!) the parts loosen and the screws drop out! 

Luckily I was able to find them but I needed a solution, besides wondering if there was something particularly wrong about the manufacture of this particular brand of revolver, or perhaps this particular pistol.

I decided after discovering that Colts actually have washers, and washers make sense to prevent the screws from backing out, that Californians don't come issued with washers.  So I purchased 8 washers from Colt and managed to install the 3 in the trigger guard (accessed from the bottom) and 2 in the backstrap near the hammer.

These seem to have greatly reduced the backing out of the screws under snap cap firing conditions, which is encouraging.

My question is, since I do not have the resources nor confidence to completely disassemble and re-assemble my gun, is it possible to remove the Trigger, Bolt, and Hammer screw (2 small and one large accessed from the side), one at a time, place the washer on and re-insert without having any internal parts shift or move, particularly those that might be under tension from springs, etc.?

I thought to try and follow the backing out of each screw from the other side with a metal rod to try to maintain any alignment, but if in doing so I suddenly encounter a slip or shift of internal parts and lose the alignment I am out of luck.

Does anyone have enough gunsmithing experience to know whether I can, while the can is fully assembled, take out these three screws, one at a time, install a washer, then screw back in without resulting in a non-functioning and partially internally disassembled gun?

Offline pony express

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Installing Colt washers on EMF GW II Californian - need advice
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2014, 04:18:50 PM »
That won't work, most of these parts have spring tension on them, and will move out of alignment when you take out the screw they pivot on.

I'm not sure why you are having a problem with screws backing out, I don't have a GWII, but none of the revolvers I have, have lock washers on them. This includes various Italian cap& ball guns, one Armi Jeager SAA clone, and a couple of early 1900s original Colts. Seems like adding a washer would leave all the screw heads standing above the surrounding surface. Maybe some medium strength Locktite?

Offline August

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 24
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2014, 05:15:31 PM »
Those Colt's washers work great and take up practically no space when the screw is tight.

I've never done what you suggest, so my comments reflect my intuition about the situation rather than my experience. 

Since there is tension on both the trigger and hammer when the gun is assembled, I would say give it a try, but be prepared to have to disassemble the gun to get it back together.  Be sure the cylinder is removed and that the hammer is fully down, on the frame before starting.

To enhance your chances of success, use  punches as close to the shank diameter of those screws to "chase" the screw as you take it out.  The punch will hold stuff in place while you put the washer down, onto the screw.  Of course, chase the punch out the other way with the screw as you insert it.

I would say to you, however, that assembling a SAA is pretty straight forward and will become second nature to you quickly.

Advertising

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2014, 06:11:15 PM »
Locktite is your friend.  The Colt washers are expensive and generally only good for one use.  (They tear really easy and are basically useless.) If you are shooting CAS chances are you will take them down periodically for cleaning and maintenance.  There is NOTHING wrong with the guns.  Guns are machines, they have tolerances.  I have sequential pairs where one stays tight and the other will loosen screws after just a few shots.  Get some blue or purple loctite (NOT RED).  Your problems will be solved and the guns will come apart for cleaning.  As already noted taking out the screws without taking out the springs won't work well.  Colt style actions are about the simplest machines ever designed.  You need to learn how to take them apart for cleaning, etc.  Just make sure you buy a GOOD set of HOLLOW ground screwdrivers.  The bargain barrel standard screwdrivers from Walmart will just bugger up the screws.  There are lots of websites that show how to take a Colt apart.  If you can walk and chew gun at the same time you can do it.

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2014, 07:22:53 PM »
Both 'Gun Digest' and the 'NRA' have published books on disassembly/reassembly - get them from your Public Library and read them - there are pictures, as well.

Or - buy a copy of Dave Chicoine's 'Gunsmithing the Guns of the Old West', if you can find one - it's worth it.

Then - get a set of 'good' screwdrivers from Brownell's.

This isn't rocket science.

By the way, there were no washers on early Colts - none at all - those came in later production, and most guys get rid of them after the first detail-stripping because they're not required.

Scouts Out!
"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2014, 11:03:11 AM »
I'll just pile on.  What Pettifogger said is spot on.  You need to learn to take em apart for cleaning anyway.  A drop of blue or purple LocTite will keep the screws tight and still allow you to dis-assemble.  Go to Brownells and in eat I. A a good screw driver set.

Coffinmaker

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com