Offline dusty texian

• Chief Scout Wehmeyer Ranch's.
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 107
Cannon
« on: June 05, 2014, 07:21:18 AM »
Ran across this thing yesterday . Does anyone know what it is. Owner says it was used to launch line to shore ,in tying up ships. He has a tennis ball stuffed into the muzzle with grease for bore protection. I though about getting it to shoot it of the porch. What Ya think.,,,,,Dusty

Offline Blair

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Cannon
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2014, 08:06:49 AM »
Dusty,

Most likely a signal gun, perhaps for starting boat races of some sort.

When I was in the Navy, we used a 45-70  blank gun (like an H&R shot gun) to launch lines over to ships we were getting ready to do an Underway Replenishment with. And that was from an Aircraft Carrier often with a fleet Oiler.
Hope this helps.
My best,
Blair
A Time for Prayer.
"In times of war and not before,
God and the soldier we adore.
But in times of peace and all things right,
God is forgotten and the soldier slighted"
by Rudyard Kipling.
Blair Taylor
Life-C 21

Offline Ol Gabe

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2014, 09:08:30 AM »
Pards, All,
What you have in the pic is a Lyle Gun/Cannon, it was specifically designed and used for shore-to-ship rescue of foundered boats and seacraft. It fired a long line to the ship that was then pulled onboard then returned with a stronger pulling line to get the boat off the shoals, rocks, etc. The line was also used to pull in lifeboats.
For pics and details go to www.cannonsuperstore.com/lyle_cannons.htm
They claim prices for this item run up to the $9,000 level, perhaps higher for known cannons with a history.
Just an added note, if my memory recalls correctly, in the early days of Navy Arms catalogs you could buy one complete with rope line and a 2" hawser/pulling rope in a boxed set, the rope was all coiled up nice and tight.
Blair's comment about the 45-70 blank gun follows the same pathway as Navy Arms also sold a cased version of that as well, some are still around and are seen every so often at bigger gun shows, I saw one at the annual show in Des Moines, Iowa a few years back and the case was worn on the edges but the gun was in fine shape, the seller claimed it had been on a yacht on the east coast. 
Best regards and good rescuing!
'Ol Gabe
P.S. Can't prove it, but I recall seeing concert videos years ago where they used several of these for the cannon fire in the 1812 Overture when played on the 4th. The Lyle guns were better they claimed due to the higher firing angle, the report carried farther over the orchestra.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 11:10:35 PM »

Offline dusty texian

• Chief Scout Wehmeyer Ranch's.
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 107
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2014, 09:42:33 AM »
Thank you fellow's  very much for the info.That is some interesting stuff. I am going to clean the bore and leave the outside like it is. Will do some research and may try to shoot it.,,,,,,,,Dusty

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com