Author Topic: 1884 Iowa range score, a champion?  (Read 2034 times)

Offline Ol Gabe

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
1884 Iowa range score, a champion?
« on: May 21, 2014, 10:29:42 AM »
NCOWS Pards & Pardettes, All, specifically Iowa Pards,
While doing my daily forum breakfast, I ran across a piece about Sharps rifle long range competition on the Shiloh forum. The info was listed as being written by Maj. C.W. Hinman and was published in the NRA's American Rifleman, Vol.57, page 443.
To wit, it was an article about long distance shooting, but what drew my interest was one of the shooters who was listed as "...Bell...Iowa..." Recalling the long range events NCOWS had at Ackley, Iowa got me wondering if anyone had ever heard of this guy. Here is the article referenced:
"The Record Long Range Score.
BY MAJ. C. W. HINMAN.
' N ‘HERE were three men who have made the score of 224 out of a possible 225 in competition under the old time long range match conditions. Those conditions were a few sighting shots at 800 yards, until the competitors had got “sighted in,” then fifteen shots at 800 yards, fifteen shots at 900 yards and fifteen shots at 1000 yards, making forty-five consecutive scoring shots, no sighting shots being allowed at 900 or 1000 yards. Usually the shooting was in-terrupted after 800 or 900 yards to allow for a luncheon.
The three men who have made the score of 224 were William Gerrish. in 1880; myself in 1881, both scores being made at Walnut
Hill, Mass., and a gentleman named Bell who made his score about 1884 on a range in Iowa. Bell's 4 was at 800 yards, both Gerrish and
myself made ours at 1000 yards. Bell died a few years after he made his score and Gerrish has been dead at least ten years."   
OK, Iowa Pards or anyone else who might have some background on this Bell feller, who was he, where did he come from, where in Iowa did he shoot and score this record and what exactly was he shooting?
OK, I know, do a Google, I already did and came up with not much, hoping someone here in Iowa or the upper midwest might have an old book or article giving more details.
Best regards and good researching,
'Ol Gabe
NCOWS #925   

Offline bear tooth billy

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS Senator
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 51
Re: 1884 Iowa range score, a champion?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2014, 04:29:01 PM »
Gabe, I never heard of that type shooting around here, but I would have loved to shoot with him. Around here
(eastern Iowa) there were scheutzen clubs, A big one in Davenport, a small one in Toronto Ia., and one right
up the hill from me.

BTB
Born 110 years too late

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com