Author Topic: Uberti Henry - Dimensional Esthetics  (Read 4290 times)

Offline Long Johns Wolf

• Top Active Citizen
  • "Centaures will make you become addicted"
    • Belgian Colt, aka Centaure, aka Centennial Army, aka "1960 NEW MODEL ARMY"
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 44
Uberti Henry - Dimensional Esthetics
« on: May 20, 2014, 05:32:04 AM »
From what I read the breech area is about correct in the dimensionally compared to an original but the forward area of carrier and carrier well is too long. Because Uberti consctructed their Henry to accommodate not PC .44-40, .44 Special and .45 Colt cartridges.
I have this steel frame Henry chambered for .44 Special. I only shot .44 Colt through it and it works fine.
For the .44 Colt the forward area  is functional but again is way too long. It does not please my eyes.
I like to have the forward area adjusted to the length of the .44 Colt cartridge.
Do you pards and pardettes have suggestions or experience how this forward area of the carrier well should be shortened but will still be function with the .44 Colt?
I understand that a competent gunsmith will eventually need to do some cutting and welding but where and how?
I have the smith who can do the work but first I like to have your input if possible because the solution of an esthetical problem only is sought.
Thanks!
Long Johns Wolf
BOSS 156, CRR 169 (Hon.), FROCS 2, Henry Board, SCORRS, STORM 229, SV Hofheim 1938, VDW, BDS, SASS

Offline major

• Top Active Citizen
  • I shoot blanks out of my Spencer for reenacting!
    • 9th New York Cavalry
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Uberti Henry - Dimensional Esthetics
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2014, 07:26:58 AM »
LJW
I think you are opening up a real can of worms with this modification.  Aside from the carrier block area being too long.  If you shorting this area then you will need to shorten the bolt and everything that goes along with it.  If you want to shoot shorter shell in it there is an easy modification to allow shorter shells to chamber and cycle in a Henry.  Take a look at this article about it.
http://www.9thnycavalry.webeditor.com/publications/henry_article.html
Terry
Free Mason
9th NYVC www.9thnycavalry.webeditor.com
155th NYVI http://155thny.org
Alabama Gun Slingers
Shadows of the old west reenactors
SASS Life Member
SCOPE Life Member
NRA Life member
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a handsome, and well preserved body; but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming...."WOW!... What a ride!"

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2014, 08:30:38 PM »
Hi LJW!!
I personally, from a Gunsmith point of view, think it would be an unwise project.  The frame would have to be cut apart at the Carrier Block mortise, welded back up and pass proof.  That's the easy part.
Everything else has to be re engineered.  Breach block too long, links too long, lever throw too long, the list goes on.  Just to make the frame about a quarter of an inch shorter??  and you'd still have a cartridge that is too long to be correct (.44 Colt).  .44 Russian would be much closer.  With a simple set screw (cartridge stop) in the carrier block and corresponding relief in the side of the Breach Block, the rifle will run .44 Russian just fine.
I realize your a stickler for authentic, but in this case, Obsessive Compulsive Disorder may lead you down a dark and Rainey path.  DONT GO THERE.
Relieve your anxiety and sell me the .44 Special chambered Iron Frame Henry instead.  ;D

Ever hear back from the folks in the East who were making Henrys??  Or has that trail gone cold??

Coffinmaker

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 06:08:34 PM »

Offline Long Johns Wolf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2014, 01:38:09 AM »
Hi Major and Coffinmaker: the Czech trail has gone cold. Accepting that fact after the initial enthusiasm was frustrating.
That's why I giving this alternative approach a lot of thought ... despite the surgical interventions needed.
The Czech Company had one Henry made for a CAS Champions in not PC .40 S&W cal. That rifle was just nice dimensionally ... and short stroked due to the shorter carrier block area and the internals adjusted accordingly. But .40 S&W would not be "legal" for CAS activities in my book.
As mentioned my .44 Special Henry functions loaded with .44 Colt without missing a stroke ... no set screws and things fitted to the carrier, just a little file work to adjust the angle of the ramp.
Coffinmaker, you are right that using the .44 Russian instead of the .44 Colt would bring me closer to the original dimensions of the Henry. Either way the internals will have to be worked ... a lot.
Using the .44 Russian instead of the .44 Colt in the Henry as is i.e. by just adjusting the carrier is not an option. Because I am more than happy with her performance right now. 15 in the tube is enough for me.
Reconsidering the plan to dimensionally alter the Henry for the use of the .44 Russian instead of the .44 Colt is an option, however.
So please, pards and pardettes, share your thoughts and suggestions with me, help me taking the decision which route to go.
Thanks,
Long Johns Wolf
BOSS 156, CRR 169 (Hon.), FROCS 2, Henry Board, SCORRS, STORM 229, SV Hofheim 1938, VDW, BDS, SASS

Offline Fox Creek Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 104
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2014, 02:41:55 AM »
If you go all out PC then don't bathe for months at a time and no one will go near you to notice the rifle differences.  ;D  :D  ;)

Seriously, I agree with the others that it is not needed and will require reengineering everything in the ignition system.

Why not have your man make you a "flat side" '66? Now THAT would be bragging rights!!  ;)

http://www.rarewinchesters.com/gunroom/1866/M66-015089/details.shtml

Offline Long Johns Wolf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2014, 03:08:18 AM »
FCK: I appreciate your comment and agree with all of you that this project is the solution for a problem that does not exist ... but that's exactly what I like to find out.
Can this alteration be executed in such a way that the Henry will work reliably in CAS activities ... at a price justifiable vis a vis the best wifey of them all?
I am looking foreward to more comments and suggestions.
Best.
Long Johns Wolf

Offline Fox Creek Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 104
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2014, 11:43:17 AM »
Wolf, you have connections at Uberti and can get things we cannot. Why not see if you can get a Henry receiver only and mate a '66 carbine barrel to it. Have your man then copy a "flat side" '66 receiver.  ;)

P.S.  Can you still get the Uberti '66 & '73 Muskets in Europe?

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2014, 12:02:10 PM »
LJW,
OK, personal opinion aside, just to get as close as you can to the .44 Henry Flat dimensions (go whole hog or don't go) your looking at the .44 Russian for your base cartridge dimensions.  The frame has to be cut at the mortise (you know that) and the cuts have to be at the front on one side and the back on the other, to eliminate a uniform stress riser then stress relieve the frame.  Re-machine the Carrier Block and make a new Breach Block and firing pin.  Use the newer large head firing pin as your base.
Without a CAD machine, I'd have to wait until I could see the Breach Block travel to figure out whether or how much to alter the links and lever.
This is a very doable project.  One I'd be tempted with had I not retired from Gunsmithing.  Since you don't seem to be inclined to sell that .44 Special Iron Frame to me <};-(   Your also gonna have to post pictures when it's done.  Oh, while your at it, were it mine and I had to pull the barrel anyway, I'd cut the barrel to around 19 inches (Henry Carbine length) to improve the balance and really increase the style points.

Coffinmaker

Offline Long Johns Wolf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2014, 02:06:43 AM »
Coffinmaker: thanks for the thumbs up.
If I kick-off that project I wish to have funds approved by the best wifey of them all, ha (it's about survival).
You and the pards sold me now on the the .44 Russian instead of the .44 Colt for the project.
In the logistic department this means shooting .44 Colt in the conversions and .44 Russian in the Henry.
Regarding chopping off the barrel ... well, I don't know. Gus's Henry was full size, wasn't it?
Pictures will be posted if I can afford the alteration. Have just inquired a calculation.
Attached is a teaser.
Thanks,
Long Johns Wolf

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com