Author Topic: Need some advice on 1911 suitable for Wild Bunch Shooting  (Read 15201 times)

Need some advice on 1911 suitable for Wild Bunch Shooting
« on: May 19, 2014, 04:18:49 PM »
Hi,

I was wondering if some of you Wild Bunch fellas could give me some advice on a 1911 that would be suitable forWild Bunch Matches.

I’ve read through the Rules and “think” I understand what modifications are allowed, and which are not.  If I’m interpreting it correctly you can’t really change anything if you want to shoot traditional.

The problem is it’s getting harder and harder to find a new 1911 that hasn’t been “tricked out” to some extent and would not qualify for Wild Bunch.

The one I’m looking at now is the Remington 1911 R1.  That looks like a straight, “Plain Jane”, 1911 with no bells or whistles – but I’m not sure.

They describe it as follows:

Matte Black finish, walnut double diamond grips, lowered & flared ejection port, short recoil, manual & grip safety, 3-dot fixed sights with dovetailed front, 5” barrel, .45 ACP

I know the 5” barrel is good, as is the .45 ACP caliber, and the matte black finish, and the walnut double-diamond grips.  Also the 3-dot fixed sights should be fine.  So far so good.

I’m not so sure about the lowered & flared ejection port.  Is that “legal” for Wild Bunch?

What about the “short recoil”?

It has a “Manual & Grip Saftey” which was normal for the 1911 and it does not look like these are oversized, extended, or any sort of modified beavertail.  So I’m hoping that’s good.

The gun is available in matte black finish or stainless, and if I understand the rules correctly either would be acceptable (although the matte black would look more traditional).

Can anybody comment on this particular gun?  Is it legal for Wild Bunch the way it comes from Remmington?

Anybody shooting one of them – and if so what do you think of it?  I’ve not been able to find any detailed reviews on the gun.

Thanks in advance for any help and advice.

Frank Morgan

Offline jimbobborg

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Need some advice on 1911 suitable for Wild Bunch Shooting
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2014, 07:34:31 PM »
If it's bone stock, you just need to black out the white dots and it is fine for WB.

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2014, 08:00:55 PM »
Thanks.  I appreciate that.

Another one I am interested in – maybe even more so than the Remmy – is the Springfield Armory “Mil Spec”.  Anybody know if that one is legal for Wild Bunch?  It has the 3 dots again, but they all seem to have those.  Other than that it seems pretty "stock".

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 09:38:14 AM »

Offline PJ Hardtack

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2014, 08:43:35 PM »
I shoot a stock R1 in 'traditional' WB.

My wife shoots a Ruger SR1911 in the 'modern' category.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline Pay Dirt Norvelle

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2014, 10:33:14 PM »
Thanks.  I appreciate that.

Another one I am interested in – maybe even more so than the Remmy – is the Springfield Armory “Mil Spec”.  Anybody know if that one is legal for Wild Bunch?  It has the 3 dots again, but they all seem to have those.  Other than that it seems pretty "stock".

I have a Mil-Spec also and as far as I can tell all you have to do is black out the white dots.  I does have a flared and extended ejection port which is allowed for traditional.
PAY DIRT NORVELLE
SASS #90056
NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER
COYOTE VALLEY COWBOYS #37
RATS #650

Offline Mule Ear Mortensen

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2014, 11:48:37 PM »
Like PDN I shoot a mil spec Springer (mine is stainless ) in WBAS.
Just black out the dot sites and feed it good ammo in quality mags -That's all it asked of me. Oh, and do my part with the sights and trigger, of course.  ;D

Enjoy!
STORM # 360
HENRY # 145
SCORRS
RATS # 680

Offline DeaconKC

• Retired Predator Hunter
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 110215
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4862
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2014, 05:23:05 PM »
I just picked up an ATI 1911 last week that will fit the bill. All steel, nice easy to see sights, a very good trigger and priced right. Took it to the range for the first time today and it shot like a house on fire. A very well fitted and finished pistol.
SASS DeaconKC
The Deacon AZSA
BOLD 1088
RATS 739
STORM 448
Driver for Howard, Fine & Howard
Veterinary & Taxidermy Clinic
"Either way, you get your dog back"

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2014, 02:31:12 PM »
Well, the first one that came along was a Remmy R1 so that's what I went with.  Will report back after my first trip to the range.  I want to get some new mags for it first.  Probably Wilson.

Online Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1204
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2014, 06:13:14 PM »
Well, the first one that came along was a Remmy R1 so that's what I went with.  Will report back after my first trip to the range.  I want to get some new mags for it first.  Probably Wilson.

Frank, I'm not positive but I think the Wilson mags all have a rubber floor plate that is not WBAS-legal.  Needs to be a flat plate like the originals.  Lots of good ones out there, but too bad not Wilson though since those are great mags.

Offline Dusty Boddams

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2014, 03:24:04 PM »
Abilene, Wilson does or at least did make a flat welded base GI type mag. Also another great mag is the TRIPP mag with the flat base they are a little pricey but they are a fine made magazine.  Dusty Boddams

Online Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1204
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2014, 07:39:38 PM »
Howdy Dusty.
Perhaps Wilson used to make them that way, but they don't show them on their website.  Maybe they can be special ordered?

Yep, I've heard nothing but good about the Tripps.

Offline Dusty Boddams

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2014, 06:56:14 PM »
 ;D Abilene , I guess time flys when your having fun but I don't think it 2 or 3 years ago that I bought several of these Wilson's I'm  talking about because I was on a quest for some really good mags and those were. Tried checkmate they were ok . Chip McCormick I had good luck with but I didn't care for the split follower in them. They always worked I just wasn't fond of it.of some of the GI mags were good some not so much.  Bought the Tripp and they gave me tinge of sticker shock but my gosh they are the finest quality mag I have ever bought. So I bought some more and I'm at twelve right now . I use these strictly for the different matches I go to and when I'm out practicing or just shooting for the pure fun of it I use that hodgepodge listed up at the top. All the practice mags work perfect if I get a mag giving me a problem I cull it right away I've noticed that if you put it back in the bag and try it again that don't usually heal up and I get the same problem . I just now thought it seems like I bought the Wilson's from brownells. You might email Wilson and ask about them they might have some still in stock. Dusty Boddams

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com