Author Topic: Original 1863 Henry - Illinois Sharp Shooters  (Read 3870 times)

Offline Hargrave

• " Prairie Smoke" Jake
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Original 1863 Henry - Illinois Sharp Shooters
« on: May 16, 2014, 08:49:25 AM »
Hello all,

So I am on this business trip in Houston, TX. I brought my daughter along on this trip so she can see the area and report back to the other kids on a possible relocation to the area.

While out yesterday and killing time between meetings, I did a search on local gun stores and ended up in this little gem of a place.

After talking to the owner for a while and showing him pictures of my most recent acquisition (1889 Remington shotgun marked and used by the Illinois Central Railroad), he brings out this original Henry Rifle. Gorgeous gun with a soul you can just feel through the wood and steel.  A real piece of history.

The history is ..... Purchased by the US Federal Army in 1863 and sent to the Illinois Sharp Shooters (I have the regimental information in the car and will update later). The gun shows up again at the battle of Crater Rock in 1895 where it transfers to a Confederate soldier. It is then stored in a closet in VA for 120+ years. (The family was afraid the US government would come looking for it). Eventually, it made it's way to the hands of a private collector here in Texas where it stayed until his passing. Since the owner of this store was the original sourcing dealer of the rifle, he acquired it again to sell a 2nd time. It is currently listed for $55,000 and is a great piece of history.

Here is a picture of my daughter posing with the rifle. Enjoy.
Jacob

"Prairie Smoke" Jake
Houston, TX
In matters of style, swim with the current;
In matters of principle, stand like a rock.
(Thomas Jefferson)

Offline Sean Thornton

• Top Active Citizen
  • Bentonville, NC 2010
    • The Henry Repeating Rifle
  • Liked:
Re: Original 1863 Henry - Illinois Sharp Shooters
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2014, 09:30:42 AM »
Was the rigiment the 66th Illinois Infantry also know as The Western Sharp Shooters?
"Victory thru rapid fire"
National Henry Rifle Company"
SASS 5042 LTGR

Offline Peter M. Eick

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2014, 12:41:05 PM »
Well, welcome to Houston.  The city is growing west and north (mostly) so factor that in.  Commutes are an issue so plan accordingly.  Did you hit Collector's Firearms?  (Fondren and Richmond).  Great place they have a couple original Henry's right now.  They also have original Walkers and pretty much anything else you can want.

Lots of good gun stores opening up.  We had a drought of good ones for a few decades it seemed but lately they are coming in fast and strong.

Good luck and take care.  Having lived now in Houston on/off for 25 years I have grown to like and deal with it, but frankly I am looking forward to leaving the big city for "my bit of heaven" somewhere away from the gulf coast.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 05:56:23 AM »

Offline Hargrave

• " Prairie Smoke" Jake
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2014, 07:41:08 PM »
Hello,

Sean: yes .. it was issued to the 66th ...Western Sharp Shooters. Nice piece of history.

Peter: Yes, I did get over to Collectors. Very nice place and had quite a few things to add to my "wish list". Right now, we are looking at the Kingwood area. I am a bit worried about housing. Seems to be a shortage for sure. I think I want to rent for a year or so. I am tossing up the idea of renovating or building. First things first, I need to get down there.

I also need to get the company all set up. The reason for the move, is I have a rapidly growing company and am looking for a place to call home. Houston seems to be a nice place to do that (for me and the company).

I will have to keep you posted and when I make it down there, I will have to buy you a beer.

jacob

"Prairie Smoke" Jake
Houston, TX
In matters of style, swim with the current;
In matters of principle, stand like a rock.
(Thomas Jefferson)

Offline Blackpowder Burn

• Top Active Citizen
  • Smoke & Lightning
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2014, 07:12:22 AM »
If you're coming to the Kingwood area of Houston, come shoot with us at the Thunder River Renegades in Magnolia.  We have quite a few members from that area.   www.thunderriverrenegades.com

Have you looked at The Woodlands, or the area along FM 1488 just north of there?  The most popular area around the city right now and also has a lot of multiacre (2-5 acre) properties.
SUBLYME AND HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT
Learned Brother at Armes

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com