Author Topic: Saftey coil spring install  (Read 4107 times)

Offline Tornado

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 44
Saftey coil spring install
« on: May 13, 2014, 07:08:21 AM »
I recently acquired a Uberti '73 and it was pretty stiff when I got it.  I polished all moving surfaces and lightened the hammer spring, now it is much better.  Only now, I have to the squeeze the lever to disengage the safety.  So I bought a coil one from the Smith Shop.  I looked it over last night and it looks simple enough except how do I get my screwdriver in there to unscrew the stock screw?  I assume need to remove the lower tang?  Anyone have any tips?
Thanks

Offline Trooper Hook

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Saftey coil spring install
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2014, 07:34:32 AM »
Tornado if you go to the Smith shop website and click on the Products page 1 header under the lever safety banner you will find the illustrated instructions for installation . Hope this helps.

Offline Blackfoot

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2014, 09:39:08 AM »
Yep, remove the lower tang.

Lafitte

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 04:32:21 PM »

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2014, 11:09:37 AM »
I recently acquired a Uberti '73 and it was pretty stiff when I got it.  I polished all moving surfaces and lightened the hammer spring, now it is much better.  Only now, I have to the squeeze the lever to disengage the safety.  So I bought a coil one from the Smith Shop.  I looked it over last night and it looks simple enough except how do I get my screwdriver in there to unscrew the stock screw?  I assume need to remove the lower tang?  Anyone have any tips?
Thanks

Get your screwdriver in where?  The stock screws are fully exposed.  There are two.  The tang screw goes down through the top into the lower tang.  After you have that one out turn the gun over.  There is a second screw in the lower tang.  It is a wood screw and screws directly into the stock.

Offline Trooper Hook

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2014, 12:13:59 PM »
Tornado heres a link to a youtube video by a gunsmith on taking apart the 1873.       

Offline Tornado

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2014, 12:14:39 PM »
Sorry, the screw I was talking about is the one that is shown in the first picture. 
http://www.thesmithshop.com/leversafetyinst1np.pdf
The instructions say to remove the stock safety spring and reinstall.  I couldn't do that with the lower tang still installed.  I read the instructions and when it says "First remove the trigger group..." I was unsure what that entailed.  I will tackle it again tonight and report back  :) .
Thanks! 

Offline TheOtherLeft

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2014, 06:55:02 PM »
I installed the Coil Safety Spring several weeks and followed The Smith Shop instructions. Removing the trigger group/assembly was required as it alllowed access to remove the safety bar cross pin. I had to watch the YouTube video referred to by Trooper Hook several times to work out how to remove the trigger assembly.

I did have to do a little fitting (i.e. sanding/polishing) of the safety bar as the coil spring was a little too wide and would bind between the safety bar and trigger assembly frame when installed. This would cause the safety bar to lock in place and prevent it from moving up and down.

All in all it's a worthwhile part to install and just requires a little work to get it working.

Offline stuck_in_73

• -Jeff
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2014, 08:53:48 PM »
I installed one 2 months ago on mine. Just followed instructions given from Smith Shop and easy peasy. Went in smooth and luckly didn't have to file or sand anything down. :) good luck
“Fiery men are soon put out.”

Offline Tornado

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2014, 10:16:26 PM »
Mission accomplished!  That spring is 10x lighter than the stock spring!  Thanks guys.  This gun is so easy to work on.  I had a Rossi 92 before this and I was scared to work on it.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com