Author Topic: Shooting and eyesight  (Read 5283 times)

Offline chipnflint

• NCOWS Member
  • Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Shooting and eyesight
« on: May 09, 2014, 07:02:26 PM »
Hi all.  I recently saw some posts on here about cataract surgery.  I have a bad cataract in my right eye (my dominant eye) and a lesser cataract in my left eye.  My Doctor says I can have my right eye done and the left eye a week later or I can wait to do the left eye for a year or more.  She says she can correct my vision for distance, intermediate vision or for close up (near sited, where I have been all my life).  She also said she could correct one eye for one of the three and the other eye for a different range.  No matter what I do I will still need to use glasses for the ranges I don't have corrected.  What I need to know, from some of you that have experienced it or anyone that has good info, is what is best for open site shooting?  Right now I am thinking I will have both eyes done in the shortest time and both corrected for distance.  Then I will get prescription shooting glasses or glasses for shooting that either can be covered with safety glasses or are usable for safety glasses.  I hope I have made sense and didn't get so complicated that this post is hard to follow.  Any Info you care to share would be greatly appreciated.

Charles "chipnflint" Burger

Offline Johnny McCrae

• Bristol Plains Pistoleros, Sweetwater Regulators
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • The older the violin, the finer the music
    • Johnny McCrae
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 258
Re: Shooting and eyesight
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2014, 07:45:57 PM »
I had exactly the same situation, bad Cataract in my right eye (dominant eye) and a lesser Cataract in my left eye. I had the right eye done on Jan 2nd and the left eye done a few weeks later. Since I have Glaucoma my Doctor recommended just putting in normal lenses, nothing fancy. The results were fantastic. I now drive, watch TV and can almost read without glasses.  I now have a mild prescription for reading and distance and use these mostly for reading. I can shoot without prescription glasses if I want to. Right now I'm sort of experimenting to see what works best for shooting outside on steel targets, plain safety glasses or my new prescription glasses. At this point the plain safety glasses seem to work a littlle bit better.

You need to learn to like all the little everday things like a sip of good whiskey, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk,  and a feisty old gentleman like myself

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2014, 07:57:42 PM »
Had both eyes done a week apart in 2003.  Corrected cataracts and severe myopia, but I still need glasses for important stuff like seeing front sights and reading menus.  Both were corrected the same for distance vision and it's been a Godsend.
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 05:19:21 AM »

Offline Tascosa Joe

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 2770
  • NCOWS #: L-168
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 11
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2014, 12:25:03 PM »
Same issue.  I had my right eye done in March the left in April. I spent the money for the Chrystalens, I have great vision from front sight to infinity.  They also corrected for myopia like 40 Rod.  I am still trying to train the lens for up close.  So far it has been a battle.  But it has really improved my shooting. 
NRA Life, TSRA Life, NCOWS  Life

Offline chipnflint

• NCOWS Member
  • Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2014, 09:40:54 PM »
I'm very grateful for the responses from the three of you.  I go in to get measured this Wednesday.  I still have questions but you pards made it a lot less scary.  Thanks a bunch.

chipnflint

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2014, 01:04:59 AM »
The only downsides are 1. the itching on the right eye was ferocious for about a day... thought I was going to go nuts, and 2. I can't use my glasses to stay out of fights anymore.

You're gonna love it.

BTW, my sight was so bad that without my old glasses everything looks about 35% bigger, and the muddy color is GONE.  I was so bad I was afraid to drive at night because I couldn't see red lights.  It's like an old detergent commercial: my whites are whiter and my brights are brighter.  Seriously.
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Offline chipnflint

• NCOWS Member
  • Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2014, 12:41:14 PM »
Last day of drops was yesterday.  Final check up tomorrow.  Went from near sighted to far sighted.  Nothing left to do now but go shooting and see how it works.

Offline Tascosa Joe

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 2770
  • NCOWS #: L-168
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 11
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2014, 09:14:25 PM »
Good for you.
NRA Life, TSRA Life, NCOWS  Life

Offline Johnny McCrae

• Bristol Plains Pistoleros, Sweetwater Regulators
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • The older the violin, the finer the music
    • Johnny McCrae
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 258
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2014, 12:14:26 PM »
I believe you will be pleased with the results. Please let us know how it turns out.
You need to learn to like all the little everday things like a sip of good whiskey, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk,  and a feisty old gentleman like myself

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com