Author Topic: Loading Data for the 45/75  (Read 117222 times)

Offline greyhawk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 49
Re: Loading Data for the 45/75
« Reply #140 on: March 20, 2018, 07:41:43 AM »
Very good report ,  Greyhawk that's some real good shooting . It appears the rifle likes the 405 bullet . Are you going to continue testing all loads , or focus on one ? What load did you think was best ? Your powder is working very good / cant get better than shooting your own powder . Sure looks like it burns clean .  ,,,,,DT

Dusty
I think I will try the pointy boolit a couple more times - I believe I wasted that group this morning warming the barrel up - and if that one does shoot it should range out better - when I first used the 500 grain version in my sharps I took a full hundred yards off my sight setting over the previous same weight boolit - have just ordered a longer staff for my marbles tang sight so I can at least try this out to 500yards - so the pointy boolit again and also concentrate on the 405 grain - maybe cut the load a bit - the 62 grain load was a touch better than the 65 grain this morning - so I try 62 grain and 60 grain next - been thinking a bit less compression - and I will be using a wad under all these - need to try a wad on the hunting boolit load too - could be a bit problematic - when you seat that 405 grain full in the case the bottom lube groove is still in the neck but the base of the boolit actually protrudes into the shoulder space just a little bit.
All interesting ..........

Offline dusty texian

• Chief Scout Wehmeyer Ranch's.
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 107
« Reply #141 on: March 20, 2018, 08:56:29 AM »
I would try the pointy bullet more also . Speaking of the pointy bullet , I have a Lee mould like that bullet , it cast a good bullet . I shoot it in my Sharps also , and it does very good . May get another mould like it and cut it down like you did . Would like trying it in my Heavy Barrel gun.  I can see your point about the hunting load  with a wad below the neck . Does the 405 hunting bullet need the wad for accuracy? Wind howling here today bad , cold front came through last night dropped temp about 30* from yesterdays temps, nice and cool today but windy ! May get out to the ranch for some shooting this wk. eager to try out the Heavy barrel gun . ,,,DT

Offline greyhawk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #142 on: March 20, 2018, 10:52:46 PM »
I would try the pointy bullet more also . Speaking of the pointy bullet , I have a Lee mould like that bullet , it cast a good bullet . I shoot it in my Sharps also , and it does very good . May get another mould like it and cut it down like you did . Would like trying it in my Heavy Barrel gun.  I can see your point about the hunting load  with a wad below the neck . Does the 405 hunting bullet need the wad for accuracy? Wind howling here today bad , cold front came through last night dropped temp about 30* from yesterdays temps, nice and cool today but windy ! May get out to the ranch for some shooting this wk. eager to try out the Heavy barrel gun . ,,,DT

Dusty
I havent cut that mold down yet - been lathe turning the few boolits down for testing - this morning I loaded five full size (490grain) over 60 grains of powder and a wad - the Uberti is 1:20 twist - maybe it shoots them ok ? only one way to find out - been too windy to shoot today tho ---- I figured if 450 grain slug over 90 grains of powder was safe in an original - the only thing I will hurt will be my shoulder with this load.
So next test I have the full size pointy boolit, the 405 grain hunting load with a wad, and also my 330 grain boolit with a wad, all with 60 grains of powder - will make sure I shoot three or four to warm the barrel first - take care of that vertical dispersion I got. 
I have a 500 yard match coming up at Easter but I wont have this 76 sorted good enough so will have to get to work with the sharps soon - sure wished I didnt bruise that shoulder the other day - that was a bit careless ! I reckon I will get a shot this evening or tomorrow morning early - will post as soon as I do .     

Advertising

« Reply #143 on: Today at 02:59:04 AM »

Offline dusty texian

• Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
« Reply #143 on: March 21, 2018, 08:32:34 AM »
I got a bit confused , I thought you had cut that mould down. Anxious  to see how the 490 gr. full length  bullet shoots . May try that load myself . Have you shot an animal with either hunting load ? My own experience with the 45/75 and 350gr. around 71gr. 2ff Swiss has been very good , on deer and wild boar . The older I get the longer it takes for bruises to go away ! Wish you the best at the 500 yd . match . ,,,DT

Offline greyhawk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #144 on: March 21, 2018, 05:45:47 PM »
I got a bit confused , I thought you had cut that mould down. Anxious  to see how the 490 gr. full length  bullet shoots . May try that load myself . Have you shot an animal with either hunting load ? My own experience with the 45/75 and 350gr. around 71gr. 2ff Swiss has been very good , on deer and wild boar . The older I get the longer it takes for bruises to go away ! Wish you the best at the 500 yd . match . ,,,DT

Mr Dusty ------- I think we stumbled onto something here - I would never have tried this - except you posted that pic of the winchester long range load
So..... Still windy this morning - reasonably steady across the range at 15 to 20 mph (maybe ? a good stiff breeze anyway with occasional gusts in it ) I shot over the roof of the car this morning - lets me get that crescent but out off my collar bone and I like the position)
Common to all targets so far is that 2 to 3 minute of angle elevation as the barrel warms - the better I get things sorted the more that one sticks out .

The LEE pointy boolit (this was the full size 459-500-3R) was loaded with the front lube groove and about half the first driving band out of the case - my cases are cut a tad short - chambers will vary some - this is just a touch off the lands. Only loaded five of these - the first one was almost off the bottom of the target - I wound the sights up and shot the other four for group - cold barrel got me again but that shot landed smack in the ten ring about half an inch above the X - next three made a real nice group (for me!)

The 405 grain this morning was loaded correct length for magazine function which puts the wad down out of the neck - and I dont believe that wad did anything (in that load)

The 330 Grain - again loaded correct for magazine function with a juice box wad over the powder - maybe a little improvement over no wad ? Shot ok for a hunting load  

Have a comment on magazine construction but will post that separately

Have to say I got a bit excited about the potential of that LEE 500 grainer (mine are going a little under = 490 +/- 3)      

Offline dusty texian

• Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
« Reply #145 on: March 22, 2018, 07:29:10 AM »
Good news about the pointy bullet , that bullet/load looks like it has more to give .  I have about 30 of the 459-500-3R cast now with wheel weights they drop .459 @ 486 gr.  will add them to the list for testing . Will load one  today in order to get a bullet seating depth to start with ,and an idea of the powder amount needed .  How did the Pointy- 3R  load feel compared to the hunting loads ?  Thank You for sharing your test results .,,,,,,DT

Offline greyhawk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #146 on: March 22, 2018, 09:10:03 AM »
Good news about the pointy bullet , that bullet/load looks like it has more to give .  I have about 30 of the 459-500-3R cast now with wheel weights they drop .459 @ 486 gr.  will add them to the list for testing . Will load one  today in order to get a bullet seating depth to start with ,and an idea of the powder amount needed .  How did the Pointy- 3R  load feel compared to the hunting loads ?  Thank You for sharing your test results .,,,,,,DT

Sounds like we have the same mold!
From here I am gonna just go with that full size 3R boolit - I could maybe get a few grains more powder in but think I have been compressing that homebrew too much. Recoil ? really didnt notice much different from the 405 grain hunting load (same powder charge) but a noticeable reduction for the 330 grain boolit (thats a bit weird really!) - still windy here - might run a few over the chrono tomorrow. Ordered taller staff for my marbles tang sight but its coming from your country so just have to wait for that - the one I have will run out maybe 300 yards. Glad you appreciate the info - I have picked up a lot from these forums - good to be able to contribute a little .
cheers
Greyhawk     

Offline King Medallion

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 14753
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 165
« Reply #147 on: March 22, 2018, 09:41:55 AM »
Not to change your subject, but I found a can of Goex FF BP in the back of the powder shelf. Got to be at least 10 years old. Not alot, but enuff to make a dozen or so rounds. My lube/sizer die will be here today, so I can make up a few rounds. What is the shelf life for BP?
King Medallion

Offline dusty texian

• Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
« Reply #148 on: March 22, 2018, 11:54:13 AM »
Must be a long time if kept dry , I have some can's of Goex from the 1970's that I still shoot . Looks like its OK .,,,,DT

Offline kwilliams1876

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #149 on: March 22, 2018, 03:31:28 PM »
i frequently shoot old dupont that is from my dads old stash.....1973 vintage or so. it works fine and is accurate.
kw

Offline greyhawk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #150 on: March 22, 2018, 03:57:35 PM »
Not to change your subject, but I found a can of Goex FF BP in the back of the powder shelf. Got to be at least 10 years old. Not alot, but enuff to make a dozen or so rounds. My lube/sizer die will be here today, so I can make up a few rounds. What is the shelf life for BP?

100yrs plus  if it still rattles in the can and pours ok its good

Offline King Medallion

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 14753
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 165
« Reply #151 on: March 22, 2018, 05:53:13 PM »
Ok thanks guys, I'll get a few loaded up soon. Got my lube/sizer die today so just need to find the time. My tube of SPG is kinda old too.
King Medallion

Offline dusty texian

• Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
« Reply #152 on: March 22, 2018, 06:03:18 PM »
Aint  we all a bit old King  LOL.,,,,DT

Offline greyhawk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #153 on: March 26, 2018, 11:00:21 PM »
Aint  we all a bit old King  LOL.,,,,DT

Dusty
I am stalled on my 76 longrange project -- the weather is finally turned nice for shooting here but now getting tuned in for the easter match - muzzlelloaders and the one long range (mid range for you fellers!) - will shoot the sharps there (500yard match) just tested loads with my powder and happy with the boolit strikes so will take the leap and do it. So back to the 76 in ten days time.
I am waiting on a longer staff for my marbles rear sight for the 76 - coming from Brownells US - have not dealt with these people before - am very impressed so far - ordered on 20th - got an email just now saying its in Australian customs. Yeah impressed !!!
A few days off with my son and some good mates in a bush camp - blackpowder and old guns - life is good hey!!!
Cheers
Greyhawk

Offline dusty texian

• Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
« Reply #154 on: March 27, 2018, 05:01:18 AM »
Hello Greyhawk , Good Luck at your shoot . The 45/75 load testing with my EHB 76 will have to wait another 10 days or so. I have many test loads ready and no time to go test .,,,,, DT

Offline greyhawk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #155 on: March 28, 2018, 07:02:45 PM »
Hello Greyhawk , Good Luck at your shoot . The 45/75 load testing with my EHB 76 will have to wait another 10 days or so. I have many test loads ready and no time to go test .,,,,, DT

Thanks  got me three rifles tuned in dead centre and loads figured - if we do no good it not their fault  ;) - it will be a good weekend and I need the break.
Lets get back on the 76's in a couple weeks.
Cheers
Greyhawk

Offline greyhawk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #156 on: April 22, 2018, 10:51:13 PM »
Dusty
Things have been a bit quiet - work gets in the way of fun sometimes eh.
Still waiting on my longer range sight staff for the 76 tried a few more shots at 100yards just now
Little bit of crosswind - otherwise all good.
Five shots with the 500grain LEE where the boolit shells are - got a couple of good ones in and looks like I pulled two - the one up high is typical - see that feller all over my targets goin back thirty years.
The three just under are warmup shots using the 405 grain Lee just the normal in case load - really interesting that the two loads are so little different in elevation.
Mainspring worked its way out of the slot AGAIN! after the first few so the side shift could be due to pulling the stock off - moving tang sight etc. I reckon this gun has started to find its rythm in the last hundred or so - (maybe I am trying harder)
Should have that sight staff today and try the 500yards mark this week sometime - have a really good place to shoot down a firebreak on a friends farm next door - can spot the shots by the dust and then you can see the strikes easy in the dirt.

Offline dusty texian

• Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
« Reply #157 on: April 23, 2018, 02:46:26 PM »
Greyhawk , good shooting looks like the 76 likes the 500 LEE . Anxious to see your test @ 500 yd. Hope you get better conditions for shooting than I am getting over here. Beautiful weather just very windy ! ,,,DT

Offline dusty texian

• Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
« Reply #158 on: April 23, 2018, 02:57:42 PM »
Windy today , shot one 5 shot group  A 100yd. and decided to save my loads for better conditions . Cross wind 15-20 mph. gust up to 30+. Try again later. ,,,,DT

Offline greyhawk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #159 on: May 06, 2018, 06:19:00 AM »
Took my 76 uberti to the local blackpowder club today - plinking after the matches - I made a soule style tang sight for it and looking to get settings sorted for that - fired fourty shots without cleaning at all - used the blow tube after each break of shooting - these were fireform loads made in 2015 and got lost in my system - boolit was the LEE 405 HB, modified back to 335 grains, over 57 grains of homemade FG powder, lube is 50/50 beeswax and neatsfoot oil - I just poked along steady so the barrel didnt get too hot - no sign of excessive fouling - cleaned up in five minutes like usual - no sign of leading and the last three shots grouped as good as the first. Blackpowder shooting is pretty much fun when it goes like this.!!   

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com