Author Topic: Taylors & Company "Cattleman" SA revolvers in 44-40  (Read 20176 times)

Taylors & Company "Cattleman" SA revolvers in 44-40
« on: May 07, 2014, 02:27:00 PM »
Anybody know who builds the Cattleman SA revolvers for Taylors & Co.  I’m thinking it’s likely Uberti, but not sure.

I was toying with the idea of getting a pair of revolvers in 44-40.  The ones I have (Ruger New Vaqueros) are in 45 Colt.  It seems Ruger does not make revolvers in 44-40 anymore, so I was looking at the Taylors & Co models.  Actually, it doesn’t seem like many manufacturers offer revolvers in 44-40.  I remember reading an article a while back wherein somebody was saying Ruger used to make Vaqueros in 44-40 but (according to what I read) they had some issues with chamber size.  Maybe that’s why they quit making them.

Anyway – anybody got any experience with the Cattleman revolvers in 44-40?  I have other Uberti gear and it’s all top notch.  Very good quality, so I have no issues with Uberti.  I also have a “Comanchero” rifle from Taylors & Co and that’s first rate as well.  SO if Uberti made the Cattleman it should be pretty decent.

Any other suggestions or recommendations for SA revolvers in 44-40?

Offline Ruff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Born 100 Years Too Late
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Taylors & Company "Cattleman" SA revolvers in 44-40
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2014, 02:42:00 PM »
Howdy FM,

Just checked Taylor's website, the specs for the Cattleman New Model 44-40 in a 5-1/2 inch barrel lists Uberti as the manufactor. I did not check the others but I can see no reason they would be different.
Ruff
SASS #16965, WASA #155, NCOWS #3636, GAF #304
GHSS CP-088, Oregon Trail Regulators (Nebraska) #7, Cracker Cow Cavalry
RO I & II
Double Barrel C's Land and Cattle Co.
Soon to be Abilene, TX

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2014, 03:16:22 PM »
Thanks Ruff.  Guess I could have done that myself but never thought of it.  I suspect Uberti makes most of Taylors & Co firearms.  Have you ever handled/shot the cattleman - particularly in 44-40?

I'm going to get a Uberti 1866 Yellowboy in 44-40 and thought a pair of revolvers in the same calibre would be appropriate.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 02:36:49 AM »

Offline Ruff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Born 100 Years Too Late
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2014, 03:36:44 PM »
Howdy Frank,

No problem gave me an excuse, not that I need much of one, to oggle some guns. No I haven't handled a Cattleman, actually I have never handled any 44-40 either rifle or pistol.

Have a good day.
Ruff
SASS #16965, WASA #155, NCOWS #3636, GAF #304
GHSS CP-088, Oregon Trail Regulators (Nebraska) #7, Cracker Cow Cavalry
RO I & II
Double Barrel C's Land and Cattle Co.
Soon to be Abilene, TX

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 422
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2014, 04:10:47 PM »
Frank

You won't be sorry they are nice guns, and they can be sweetened with and action job & springs...

Forged frames , pretty sure they use coil hand springs now on all Cattlemen & Smoke Wagons alike.

+ 1 for the Smoke wagon however , it come NIB with the Action work & springs ...a bit more scratch $ but saves a trip to a tuner should you want that option.

An out of the box Cattleman is pretty darn good for the money.... 
when planets align...do the deal !

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2014, 07:11:15 PM »
Major,

The “Smoke Wagon” is a nice looking gun, and I like the fact that Taylors & Co have done a lot of the fine turning and set up to it.  They do a good job of that.  I have a Taylors & Co (Uberti) “Commanchero” rifle that they fine tuned and it’s a real shooter.

The problem for me is the “Smoke Wagon” in .44-40 only comes with a 5 ½” barrel and I wanted the 7 ½” barrel.  So if I go with Taylors & Co I’ll have to go with the Cattleman New Model or the 1875 Army Outlaw – if I want to have .44-40 and a 7 ½” barrel.

Or I could go with the Uberti Cattleman Steel or Cattleman Brass and have the .44-40 in a 7 ½” barrel.

Both Uberti and Taylors & Co offer the 1866 Yellowboy in .44-40, so I could go with either and match the revolvers.

I’m not sure if there is much difference in the “stock” Uberti or Tayors & Co revolvers.  The “Smoke Wagon” is tuned and would likely be smoother than the stock Uberti, but I don’t know if there would be much difference in the rest of the Taylors & Co line up as compared to the Uberti line up.  Some say the Taylors & Co models are made to a higher standard by Uberti than those they sell as their normal models.  Don’t know if there is any truth to that or not.

Do you happen to know if ALL the Uberti models also come with the coil hand springs - as is seems the Taylors & Co models do?

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 422
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2014, 08:44:59 PM »
"...  much difference in the “stock” Uberti or Tayors & Co revolvers"

Uberti , Taylor's & Cimarron are  just roll engraved differently, there is little different save for that.

Cody can tune the Cattleman to equal the Smoke Wagon, if 7 1/2 "is you're preference.... so can Longhunter ( and several others)
Course you incur the extra shipping....  In your first post you did not mention a barrel length  :-\

I'm 99% the coil spring is used in the Uberti SAA ( not sure about the Millennium etal run of guns though,  these are the matte finish ones) and have been for a few years.

when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Bibbyman

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 99098
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2014, 09:02:41 PM »
We talked with the great ladies of Taylors & Co at the SASS convention last fall.  I got the feeling they would work with you on having their gunsmith include special features like lighter springs,  Running Iron hammer, action jobs, etc right from their establishment.

The problem I see is that Taylors & Company offer hundreds of combinations when you multiple material,  finish, caliber,  barrel length, grip style,  on and on. Let's see, I'd like this one, no that one,onow if I could get this one with the Running Irons hammer, 1860 Army brass grip frame, extra 45 ACP cylinder.  Too many choices.   

Offline rbertalotto

• Top Active Citizen
    • RVB Precision
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2014, 11:01:05 AM »
I have two Uberti Cattleman (Regulators)  revolvers that I converted from 45LC to 38-40...............See here in Massachusetts you can't buy Uberti revolvers unless they were already here before 1998...(I HATE living here!!!!)

So I wanted 38-40 to go with my Colt Lightning rifle and my 1873. I found, by the grace of God, two matching nickle plated Uberti 45LC in two different parts of Massachusetts. And then God smiled again as Gun Parts in Hurley NY had 38-40 cylinders and barrels! And they were nickle plated like the revolvers!!!!

I switched the cylinder and barrels, took my India stones to the inards, and use a set of Wolf springs. Removed all the silly safety stuff off the hammers. They now run slick as snot and have been 100% reliable.

Over the last couple of years I buy any and all SSA revolvers that come my way here in Assachusetts. I have two other Cattlemen, both in 45LC, 7.5" standard grip and 4 5/8 Birdshead...I got a few "Regulators" also. Exact same gun, different name

Converted to 38-40

Roy B
South of Boston
www.rvbprecision.com
SASS #93544

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2014, 06:10:25 PM »
We talked with the great ladies of Taylors & Co at the SASS convention last fall.  I got the feeling they would work with you on having their gunsmith include special features like lighter springs,  Running Iron hammer, action jobs, etc right from their establishment.

The problem I see is that Taylors & Company offer hundreds of combinations when you multiple material,  finish, caliber,  barrel length, grip style,  on and on. Let's see, I'd like this one, no that one,onow if I could get this one with the Running Irons hammer, 1860 Army brass grip frame, extra 45 ACP cylinder.  Too many choices.  

You mean like this?  http://www.emf-company.com/store/pc/-Alchimista-II-c294.htm

Uberti and Pietta are MANUFACTURERS.  Taylor's, Cimmannron, EMF and others are IMPORTERS.  The importers all sell revolvers and lately they can be Uberti or Pietta from the same importer.

Offline Bibbyman

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 99098
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2014, 06:34:06 PM »
You mean like this?  http://www.emf-company.com/store/pc/-Alchimista-II-c294.htm

Uberti and Pietta and MANUFACTURERS.  Taylor's, Cimmannron, EMF and others are IMPORTERS.  The importers all sell revolvers and lately they can be Uberti or Pietta from the same importer.

Almost.   Looks like it has a steel back strap.

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2014, 07:27:37 PM »
Most Armies have steel back straps and brass trigger guards.  Even back in the day Colt used steel for the back strap.

Offline hatman

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2014, 08:55:03 PM »
Major,

The “Smoke Wagon” is a nice looking gun, and I like the fact that Taylors & Co have done a lot of the fine turning and set up to it.  They do a good job of that.  I have a Taylors & Co (Uberti) “Commanchero” rifle that they fine tuned and it’s a real shooter.

The problem for me is the “Smoke Wagon” in .44-40 only comes with a 5 ½” barrel and I wanted the 7 ½” barrel.  So if I go with Taylors & Co I’ll have to go with the Cattleman New Model or the 1875 Army Outlaw – if I want to have .44-40 and a 7 ½” barrel.

Or I could go with the Uberti Cattleman Steel or Cattleman Brass and have the .44-40 in a 7 ½” barrel.

Both Uberti and Taylors & Co offer the 1866 Yellowboy in .44-40, so I could go with either and match the revolvers.

I’m not sure if there is much difference in the “stock” Uberti or Tayors & Co revolvers.  The “Smoke Wagon” is tuned and would likely be smoother than the stock Uberti, but I don’t know if there would be much difference in the rest of the Taylors & Co line up as compared to the Uberti line up.  Some say the Taylors & Co models are made to a higher standard by Uberti than those they sell as their normal models.  Don’t know if there is any truth to that or not.

Do you happen to know if ALL the Uberti models also come with the coil hand springs - as is seems the Taylors & Co models do?

Frank,
I am by no means an expert, especially compared to so many fine folks here, but I can share my experiences.
I have pretty much every one of the models you mention.
Of the dozen or so Uberti's SA's I have ('51 - '75) the Smoke Wagon I got from LongHunter is by far the smoothest and just a pleasure to shoot.
Having said that my other Uberti's have been for the vast majority just great right out of the box (I'm not a competition shooter - just a guy who likes to shoot SA's).
Some are almost as smooth as the Smoke Hunter; some are a little rougher.
If I wanted a 7 1/2" Uberti SAA in 44-40 I would get the Cattlemen.  It turned out to be one of the better in terms of smoothness and accuracy right out of the box, however YMMV.

Ironically, the worst POS SAA I ever bought was a 3rd gen Colt (1981) 7 1/2" 357.  It's beautiful, the timing proved to be awful, the trigger twice as stiff as my Uberti's and it stopped holding the 2nd click after it's third outing.  It now sits in the back of my safe awaiting a trip to a gunsmith some day.

Offline Navy Six

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 26385
  • NCOWS #: 1410
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 66
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2014, 06:14:43 PM »
Have a pair of 4 3/4" Uberti Bisleys in 44-40 for about 15 years now and no issues, very happy with them. Every Uberti SAA type I own has been a very decent gun right out of the box. They all benefitted from some action tuning and smoothing, but then again, so did all my new Colts. I'm most concerned about the guns feeling smooth, not so much for any competitive advantage, but they should feel "right". Every Uberti responded well to simple tuning so you shouldn't have any problems with a nice new pair of 44-40's.
RBERTALOTTO--feel your pain as I live in NJ. We can get new Ubertis' or any single action for that matter but each gun requires a pistol permit. I have had friends wait for 9 MONTHS for the permit Each township differs. Like you I also couldn't live without a pair of 38-40s' but I wanted 7 1/2 " barrels. No one was making them so so i scrounged a pair of Ubertis in 45 Colt and found barrels and cylinders from VTI and had them installed. Where there is a will, there is a way. Am very happy with them. At that same time (around 1996), Colt started producing 38-40 SAAs' and I managed to sweet talk my wife into a pair of nickled 5 1/2". Since my wife now does the Cowboy shoots as well, my days of sweet talking are over. Anyway, the Ubertis shoot just as well as the Colts.   Navy Six
Only Blackpowder Is Interesting 
"I'm the richest man in the world. I have a good wife, a good dog and a good sixgun." Charles A "Skeeter" Skelton

Offline jimbobborg

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2014, 08:16:30 PM »
Cimarron offers several 44-40s, including Bisleys.  I almost ordered a couple but I found a pair of the Bisleys in 44-40 for $899 so I snagged them instead. 

Offline Curley Cole

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2014, 04:01:48 PM »

I have a pair of these Taylors, in 45lc. The engraving is not the usual laser engraving. It was gone back over with a hand engraver and looks more authentic. I added Boones poly ivories and been shooting it for years.

Old Top has a pair of GW2s that he"self converted o Alchmistas. His are in the 44/40 model

Tops home made Alchmesta.

He got a pair of GW2s, in 44/40, then ordered up a pair of 1860 grips-tg/bs from EMF, the fit was almost perfect. the only problem he ran in to was that the screws from the GW didn't fit. The screws  from the 1860 didn't fit, so I wrote to Alchemista directly (he is really a nice guy) and explained our problem and he sent us 2 sets of screws from Italy free. Talk about great service. those screws fit perfectly.

curley
Scars are tatoos with better stories.
The Cowboys
Silver Queen Mine Regulators
dammit gang

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com