Author Topic: 1877 Lightning  (Read 1555 times)

Offline anders22

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
1877 Lightning
« on: May 01, 2014, 12:56:40 PM »
Looking to work up loads for a 1877 I am picking up this week.

It needs some work, so once done, I plan to slug the barrel to get correct bore

It is serial number 115,XXX

I have heard everything from you can shoot LIGHT smokeless loads to Blackpowder only

I have heard you can used HBWC in .358....or heeled bullets

I have reloaded all my life, but this is my first venture into vintage firearms

If blackpowder only, what are factory specs, and suggested starting loads?  FFFg I imagine, right?

Not looking to make this thing a powerhouse, cuz it is not...but something fun to shoot when I get tired of Kimbers and AR's

:)

History buff here, so the more historically accurate the better.

Thanks

Offline mtmarfield

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1670
Re: 1877 Lightning
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2014, 08:56:59 PM »
   Greetings!

Soft HBWC's should be great. I would stick to BP Only; "everybody's mother" has fired smokeless in about everything,
and has either destroyed an irreplaceable antique, or "got away with it, so it's OK". Why risk it? My 1877 Thunderer is
chambered for the .41 Short/Long Colt, and I have no experience with the .38 LC, however...
   M. Venturino has data in his "Shooting Sixguns of the Old West", and has data for the .38 Short/Long Colt; he used
between 16 and 18 gr. of GOEX FFg / FFFg under HBRN and OL (Heeled) bullets.
   The easiest way that I have found to fire vintage arms without a proper mould is to use dead-soft round balls, of a
diameter that gives resistance when pushed down the bore, but will seat in the brass and still allow it to chamber. A
roundball that is as soft as you can get it, with a GOEX FFFg charge leaving just enough room for the ball and a smear
of BP Bullet Lube will give you a "minute of pop-can" accuracy at ten paces. This will get you some smoke & fun until
you decide to cast / load your own authentic cartridges. Heeled bullets are 'different technology', but easy enough
if you decide to go authentic. HBWC bullets (Ideal Mould #358395 + BP Lube) would simplify the job.
   I've wanted a .38 OL bullet mould for some time, but haven't had much luck. Perhaps one of our Fellows has a handful
of pre-cast Bullets to send you...?

Best of Luck & Keep Us Posted!

M.T.Marfield

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com