Author Topic: 1883 Burgess rifles and carbines  (Read 3483 times)

Offline Grapeshot

• Grapeshot. Cpt US Artillery
  • Top Active Citizen
  • WARTHOG
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
1883 Burgess rifles and carbines
« on: April 30, 2014, 06:59:57 PM »
OK, I know that this is the 1873 Winchester forum, but has anyone shot, handled or seen the Burgess lever action rifle or carbine as sold by Taylor's? 
Listen!  Do you hear that?  The roar of Cannons and the screams of the dying.  Ahh!  Music to my ears.

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1204
Re: 1883 Burgess rifles and carbines
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2014, 07:19:32 PM »
I have handled them at Cimarron, but have not shot one.  Actually have never seen anyone shooting one.  Feels pretty smooth out of the box and nice-looking.  I have heard of some folks having problems with them, although I do not recall exactly what.  I think it is for those who want something different, not really for shooting fast.

Most of them that Uberti has made have been in 45LC, although they have made a few in 44-40, which is what all the originals were chambered for.

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 421
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2014, 08:42:16 PM »
Poncho Peacemaker bought one, might what to search ...seems I remember he like it  
when planets align...do the deal !

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 04:17:18 AM »

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2014, 09:25:14 PM »
I completely disassembled one, photographed the innards and wrote and article for the SASS Chronicle a couple of years ago.  Nice gun if you want something different to plink around with.  In my opinion it is not a good competition gun.  The mechanism simply cannot be operated quickly and several have had problems with the ejector fracturing.  The ejector is a ring shaped plunger that surrounds the firing pin.  This is a weak link and I have seen a few break.  I made one out of tool steel, but because of the way it sits in the bolt it too broke after a few hundred rounds.  There is a reason you don't see many at CAS matches.

Offline Mike

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2014, 01:11:15 AM »
I have one, it shoots as good as my other Uberti lever guns. Finish on mine is very good.
I am putting mine up for sale only because I dont use it as much as the others.
Mine is in 44 WCF.
Buffalochip

Offline tyrel cody

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2014, 09:06:23 AM »
I have one in 44WCF with a 25 1/2" barrel, bought from Taylors last spring. Beautiful rifle and shoots as accurate as any of the others. Had to send back to Taylors twice when I first bought it. After their gunsmith replaced the bolt it has functioned pretty well. NOT a fast compettion rifle though. The lever throw is too long IMO. If you do buy one go ahead and get an extra extractor; the bend easy.  Have considered selling it as I rarely shoot it.

Offline rbertalotto

• Top Active Citizen
    • RVB Precision
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2014, 08:17:24 PM »
I'm in the market for a 44-40 Burgess repro. If anyone has one they might want to sell, email me pictures and price

rvb100@comcast.net

Cash waiting!
Roy B
South of Boston
www.rvbprecision.com
SASS #93544

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com