Author Topic: Old Gravesites .  (Read 17154 times)

Offline dusty texian

• Chief Scout Wehmeyer Ranch's.
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 107
Old Gravesites .
« on: April 27, 2014, 08:56:13 AM »
Over the yr's I have rambled over a lot of rough country in the Texas back country. In fact that is where I spend most of my time ,or all that I can. I have ran across quite a few old abandonded graves during my travels. Some in places I could understand why the spot was chosen ,some not. But one stand's out as why ,I would say because that was as far as they could go. This particular grave is on the Muleshoe ranch very near the Rio Grande and Old Mexico,but on Texas soil. When I found this grave I had found first down the arroyo,some personal items that stand out in this vast desert of No Man's land. The items were part's of an old wooden water keg,the bottom of a hommade shoe and some broken potery peices. The keg had been busted and staves from it were made into a cross marking the pile of stones. The Grandchildren and I returned to this isolated location a yr. or so latter and errected a Iron Cross,next to the remaining stave. We said a prayer for the soul of whoever lays there in rest in this lonely spot. A reminder of how hard this country was and still is.Here is a pic. of the lonely grave,,,,,,,Dusty

44wcf

Re: Old Gravesites .
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2014, 06:10:02 PM »
Good on you and your grandchildren.

Offline Shotgun Franklin

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2014, 07:40:23 PM »
If you get off the Blacktop, there are still some rough places in Texas.
Yes, I do have more facial hair now.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 10:48:17 PM »

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 421
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2014, 08:15:24 PM »
While living in Texas filming Alamo the Price of Freedom... I had the honor to visit The Seminole Indian Scout Cemetery
just south of Brackettville.
This cemetery is the resting place of Florida Seminole scouts who were descendants of the escaped slaves, assimilated into the Seminole people.
Moving ( forced ) to Oklahoma after the Seminole War, many scouts migrated toward Mexico.
The Army hired 150 scouts to follow the trails of raiding tribes.  A group were attached to Fort Clark near Brackettville.
Descendants remained as farmers and ranchers, these descendants tend to this old cemetery. 
Graves include four Seminole Indian Scout Medal of Honor Winners.
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline dusty texian

• Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2014, 10:21:55 AM »
A lot of History there at old Fort Clark . Lieutenant Bullis,and the Seminole Scout's used the old Fort Clark as base camp and chased the hostile indians an amazing thousands of miles over some of the roughest country in the US. Just a trip today from Ft. Clark, Bracketville to the Bullis gap area seem like it takes forever in a auto traveling 70+ mph. Those men were tough just to ride horseback that far, in the saddle every day on 1/2 rations.Knowing at any time they themselves could be under attack. Anyone who has traveled this part of S/W Texas knows that it is a vast land with many miles without water.The old grave I mentioned in this topic is located just North of the Bullis Gap range named in honor of Lieutenant Bullis and his brave men.The Bullis Gap that lead's into Old Mexico can be seen from this ranch and the gravesite. Anyone interested in history of the Indian wars in the S/W , and has not read about these men ,Liutenant Bullis and his Seminole scouts ,should do so. I think you will enjoy it . Bigger than life men and deed's that are not often heard of. One more bit about this outfit . There is a place named ,Meyer's Spring,it is located about 25 mi. N/E of the Muleshoe ranch ,Note the spring's are now on private property. The spring's were a favorite watering spot for raiding Comanche driving stolen stock to Old Mexico . The Lieutenant and his men built a damb and small Ft. on this spot ,and camped out on it for long period of times and cut off the water supply for the driven stock on thier way to Bone Watering Crossing ,and into old Mexico. Bone Watering Crossing , another noted place near by, that is the place of one of the last hostile indian battle,s in Texas. About 10 Mi. E of the Muleshoe . One of the scout's is burried there.Note Bone Watering Crossing is on private property now . ,,,,,,Dusty

Offline Tsalagidave

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dave Rodgers
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 61
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2014, 12:03:23 PM »
Dusty, thanks on behalf of your brother/sister Americans for finding and honoring even the unsung individuals of our past. You are teaching your grandchildren a great set of values and I really commend you for being such a positive example. You have reminded us about the "little things" we should all be doing to enrich our appreciation of our forebears and connect with the relevance of their contributions and at times, sacrifice.

Thanks for sharing the pictures. I always love stuff like this and I'm sure most everyone here does as well.

-Dave
Guns don't kill people; fathers with pretty daughters do.

Offline dusty texian

• Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2014, 12:20:58 PM »
Thanks Dave ,for the kind words. I am glad that my Grandchildren have taken an interest in the History of the land and our past. ,,,Dusty

JohnsonBarr

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2014, 03:19:16 PM »
Dusty I have a question. Did you and your family add rock to the original grave site? The grave site pile stonework does not match the surrounding age faded and oxidized stone laying within your grave sight picture.
As close as you were to the border and todays crossings that end in death, is it possible the site you found is of more recent vintage?

Offline Mean Bob Mean

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2014, 03:43:54 PM »
Dusty, that is extremely cool stuff.  At our local scout camp the boys all rebuilt a small cemetery as well.  It's something you can't replace once gone.  Right in my neighborhood there is a plantation graveyard that has lost all its markers.
"We tried a desperate game and lost. But we are rough men used to rough ways, and we will abide by the consequences."
- Cole Younger

Offline dusty texian

• Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2014, 05:43:47 PM »
Hey JohnsonBarr if any rocks were added ,it would be only a couple very small ones that that the Grandchildren could pick up.But while we put the cross up,I dont remember them putting any. The grave looks as it did when I found it about 10 yr. ago. What you see in the pic. may be just the pic. because looking at the grave in person it does not look any different than the other rocks surrounding it. The large brown rocks had to be hauled about 100yd. down to that spot. I figgure that was the best place to dig in that country . I have dug many post holes in that country and can tell you that after about 6 to 10 in. you are into bedrock. Unless on a gravel bar like the spot the gravesite sits on. I dont know how old the grave is ,but guess it is from about the 1910s or20s by what the shoe sole near it looked like . But that is just a guess. But you are right there are many recent graves along the border . I would say more than in the old days .Wow Mean Bob , I bet that old plantation graveyard dates way back. Great you and the scout camp rebuilt the cemetary. Good On Ya ,,,Amigo,,,,,Dusty

Offline Jayhawker

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2014, 03:05:14 AM »
This is the headstone of Ed Miller...an 18 year old boy killed by the Cheyenne in 1864. The grave is located in Jones Cemetery about 3 miles from Canton, KS. (The black stone (pictured)that stands in front of the original headstone shows a date of 1869 was placed in 1906 and the carver got the date wrong).

I can provide a bit more information on Millers death if anyone is interested.

The cemetery is located about 50 yards from the Santa Fe Trail and contains many graves of folks (lots of very young children) that died heading west
Life is NOT like a box of chocolates...it more like a jalapeno...what you do today might burn your butt tomorrow...

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 421
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2014, 08:15:11 AM »
"I can provide a bit more information on Millers death if anyone is interested."

I am !
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline dusty texian

• Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2014, 09:22:37 AM »
You bet I am!,,,,Dusty

Offline Mogorilla

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3306
  • GAF #: 883
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 99
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2014, 10:47:08 AM »
Even though it is coming from a Jayhawker  ;), I am too!!!

Offline Jayhawker

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2014, 06:22:18 PM »
Here's the story....

The summer of 1864 was a period of unrest in the plains. The Indian tribes were well aware that the Civil War was raging in the East and that the quality of the troops stationed in the West was not of the highest caliber. On July 17, 1864 the Cheyennes along with the Kiowas and Comanches struck Fort Larned and continued their attacks toward the east. It was into this dangerous situation that a young man named Ed Miller rode on an errand of mercy to help a sick woman in Marion. His courage in the face of the Indian threat was to cost him his life.

In July of 1864, Abraham Atlantic Moore, owner of Moore's Ranche at Cottonwood Crossing on the Santa Fe Trail, was in Marion with his family for a brief stay. During this time, Mr. Moore's wife, Nancy, was taken very ill, Mr. Moore decided to send for a doctor and Nancy's mother, Mrs. Eli P. Waterman who was known for her skills as a nurse. Mr Waterman and her husband lived at the Big Turkey Creek Ranch near present day Galva, Kansas. Mr. More first approached George Griffith to go after Mrs. Waterman, but Mr. Griffith's health and the fact that he was not very familiar with the Trail to Turkey Creek caused Mr. Moore to approach Mr. Miller. Mr. Miller's son Edgar, was a young man of about 18 years of age, who was kown as a good and fearless rider. Edgar Miller agreed to go.

Word had come down the Santa Fe Trail that the Kiowas, Comanche, and Cheyenne Indians were on the warpath, but their exact location was not known. It was known that Edgar Miller might, at any time encounter a band of hostile Indians. Mr. Moore provided Ed Miller with his fastest horse and instructed him to go to French Frank's Ranch, operated by Frank LaLoge, at Cottonwood Crossing Hole aproximately six miles southwest of Cottonwood Crossing. There he was to exchange Mr. Moore's horse for the Frenchman's fastest horse.

Edgar Miller left for French Frank's Ranch early in the morning of July 20, 1864. When he arrived he found that Mr. LaLoge had gone to Council Grove and had taken his fast horse with him. After eating breakfast, Ed Miller continued along his way to BigTurkey Creek leaving French Frank's about 8 a.m. He was accompanied along his way by a young man, Al Bichet, who worked at French Frank's. About 30 minutes later having gone about three miles the two parted company.

Meanwhile, at Big Turkey Creek Ranch, a group of about twenty Cheyennes were observed about a mile east of the ranch. They appeared to have killed a cow and were butchering it. Mr. Waterman had a telescope and his son, Vat, climbed up on the roof of the ranch to observe the Indians. A lone horsemen was observed, coming down the Trail. When he reached the brow of a hill descending to the ranch, at that time he was within 200 yards of the Indians. The Indians grabbed their weapons and mounted their horses. Gunshots were heard at the ranch, and the lone horseman turned back along the Trail. From the roof of the ranch, the flight was observed for a considerable distance. Two days later, the Watermans decided to go to Marion to see their daughter who they knew had been sick. When they arrived, they were asked "Where is Ed Miller?" They had not seen Miller and related the story of the lone horseman.

On July 23, Roddy Coble, Jack Griffith, Henry Roberts, Evan Hoops, and a man from Louisiana started down the Trail in search of young Miller. When they reached a spot about four miles west along the Trail, Evan Hoops noticed somethng unusual in the air. He said nothing until they had passed 150 to 200 feet past the site. All agreed to return to the place Hoops indicated, and began to search the area. They found the body about 50 feet south of the Trail, with one or two handfuls of weeds thrown upon it. The body bore the marks of torture with numerous marks of a lance or spear about the heels and ankles. Miller had been pierced a little above the pit of the stomach and shot in the head. He had been scalped, leaving only a small spot of hair about the size of a quarter in front of one of his ears. Upon the discovery of the body, Henry Roberts was sent back to French Frank's Ranch to get tools for burial of the body. He returned with a spade or shovel and a pick. The body was wrapped in a blanket and a grave was dug by Henry Roberts, Jack Griffith, and the man from Louisiana on top of a small hill about 100 feet north of the Santa Fe Trail. Roddy Coble and Evan Hoops kept watch.

While the grave was being dug, Evan Hoops noticed a spindle of dust west of them with a larger cloud of dust behind it. Both were moving rapidly toward them. They decided to hold their ground for the time being and continued digging the grave. A sort time later, a lone horseman came up the road and when he came within a quarter mile he saw the burial party and swung southward about a quarter mile then eastward. When the rider determined that the grave diggers were white men he rode up to them. He told them that he was a wagonmaster in charge of a train of about 100 wagons which was surrounded by 2000 to 3000 Indians at Cow Creek. He had escaped and was on his way to Council Grove, Kansas to get army troops. He said that the last he had seen the Indians, they were about five or six miles back and advised them to stay no longer than necessary. After the man left, the party continued to dig the grave until they were down about 2 1/2 to 3 feet deep when they buried the body.
Life is NOT like a box of chocolates...it more like a jalapeno...what you do today might burn your butt tomorrow...

Offline dusty texian

• Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2014, 07:08:17 PM »
Thanks for the story Jayhawker. Is there a book that has that story in it?,,,,,Dusty

Offline JimBob

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2014, 04:10:21 PM »
I don't know how many of you are familiar findagrave.com it's an interesting sight for the historical and genealogical minded.Sometimes they have the obits,pictures,and other info posted-

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GScid=92805&GRid=8277227&

Offline Jayhawker

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2014, 08:28:27 PM »
Thanks for the story Jayhawker. Is there a book that has that story in it?,,,,,Dusty

Not that I know of...

Offline Mean Bob Mean

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2014, 08:16:21 AM »
This thread got me looking up an old "haunt" of mine:  Rocky Bar Idaho.  It has a graveyard filled with pioneers including one Charlie Sprittles who was the last of the old timers up there and died in 1964.  I used to sit on Charlie's lap when I was a kid and my dad and he talked about the old digs in the area.  You can see the town here:  http://www.ghosttowns.com/states/id/rockybar.html
"We tried a desperate game and lost. But we are rough men used to rough ways, and we will abide by the consequences."
- Cole Younger

Offline Doug.38PR

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2014, 04:07:28 PM »
There are a lot of places that are no mans land now but 150-400 years ago were fairly well traveled areas and had towns or some kind of settlement nearby.  Over time changing river/bayou or trail or railroad or even at or disease took settlement away to where now all that's left are falling down grave markers

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com