Author Topic: what powder?  (Read 40039 times)

Offline The Trinity Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Gathering of Freedom-Seed Spreaders
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 15
what powder?
« on: April 26, 2014, 01:17:51 AM »
Howdy y'all. 

I just got a new Lee reloading press, and some .45ACP dies, and I was wondering:  what powders do y'all suggest for my 1911?  Bullseye, Unique and 231 are what my load data book uses as examples, but what do y'all think?

--TK
"Nobody who has not been up in the sky on a glorious morning can possibly imagine the way a pilot feels in free heaven." William T. Piper

I was told recently that I'm "livelier than a one-legged man at a butt-kicking contest."    Is that an insult or a compliment?

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 405
Re: what powder?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2014, 06:31:59 AM »
All three are VERY suitable, but I think 231 gets the nod.
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Offline Blackfoot

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2014, 07:33:54 AM »
It is a question of what powder you can find!

Lafitte :o

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 10:00:44 AM »

Offline Crow Choker

• Top Active Citizen
  • River Banker Extraordinaire
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 36
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2014, 09:22:03 AM »
Quit using Bullseye years ago when I discovered Win 231 (Hodgon HP-38 is the same powder), but over the last several years, I have been using Hodgon Titegroup more than 231/HP-38 and like it 'very well'!!! Burns clean and accurate. Never have used Unique for 45 ACP, but it's a fine powder. Bullseye is a dirty burner or at least it used to be.
Darksider-1911 Shooter-BOLD Chambers-RATS-SCORRS-STORM-1860 Henry(1866)-Colt Handgun Lover an' Fan-NRA-"RiverRat"-Conservative American Patriot and Former Keeper & Enforcer of the Law an' Proud of Being Both! >oo

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1194
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2014, 12:07:16 AM »
I use 231 for my Wild Bunch loads with a 230gr RN.  Like it a lot.

Offline The Trinity Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Gathering of Freedom-Seed Spreaders
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 15
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2014, 12:55:37 AM »
Guess what I found available?  231!  Guess what I'm gonna use?  :)

--TK
"Nobody who has not been up in the sky on a glorious morning can possibly imagine the way a pilot feels in free heaven." William T. Piper

I was told recently that I'm "livelier than a one-legged man at a butt-kicking contest."    Is that an insult or a compliment?

Offline PJ Hardtack

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2014, 07:13:22 PM »
I've loaded .45 ACP with Unique, Bulls Eye, Red Dot, Green Dot, 231 and 700X. The old Unique used to be a dirty powder, but define dirty? So I have to clean thoroughly after 500 rds instead of 750. Big Deal.

My preferred powder is Red Dot, but you gotta take whatcha can get these days.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline Johnny McCrae

• Bristol Plains Pistoleros, Sweetwater Regulators
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • The older the violin, the finer the music
    • Johnny McCrae
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 264
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2014, 12:33:19 PM »
but you gotta take whatcha can get these days.
That is sad but very true. I like to use W231 in my semi-autos but it's impossible to find in my area. I've been using Trail Boss in my 1911.
You need to learn to like all the little everday things like a sip of good whiskey, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk,  and a feisty old gentleman like myself

Offline Pitspitr

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • 308 214-0082 45551 Rd 816, Sargent NE 68874 USA
    • Grand Army of the Frontier
  • SASS #: 74523
  • NCOWS #: L187
  • GAF #: 147
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2014, 06:05:14 AM »
That is sad but very true. I like to use W231 in my semi-autos but it's impossible to find in my area. I've been using Trail Boss in my 1911.
Me too
I remain, Your Ob'd Servant,
Jerry M. "Pitspitr" Davenport
(Bvt.)Brigadier General Commanding,
Grand Army of the Frontier
BC/IT, Expert, Sharpshooter, Marksman, CC, SoM
NRA CRSO, RVWA IIT2; SASS ROI, ROII;
NRA Benefactor Life; AZSA Life; NCOWS Life

Offline QueensHorseman

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2014, 10:39:03 AM »
I use Unique powder in my .45 acp because it works well with the 230 grain cast bullets that I prefer and because it works well in most standard pressure, large bore revolver/pistol cartridges such as the .44-40, .45 Colt, etc.  It allows me to stock up on a single powder that performs well in revolver, and even rifle reloads with cast bullets.  Using it in cast bullet, practice loads for .45-70, 9.3x62, .32 Special, etc allows for a lot of fun practice for low cost.  I see that many people seem to use Trailboss for similar purposes now but I have never switched from good old Unique.  Soot safe.

Offline Grapeshot

• Grapeshot. Cpt US Artillery
  • Top Active Citizen
  • WARTHOG
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2014, 05:23:40 PM »
When I started shooting the M1911 in 1973, I used Unique exclusively for all my reloading because it was all I could get.  Lately I have been using AA#5, AA#7, W231, HP38, and Hogdon's Auto-Comp with good results with all three.

Listen!  Do you hear that?  The roar of Cannons and the screams of the dying.  Ahh!  Music to my ears.

Offline kingsnake

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2014, 09:16:47 PM »
Started with Unique-ran out.
Switched to 231-ran out.
Switched to Clays-ran out.
Switched back to 231. Have about 10 lbs of it left.
If I run out of 231, I have 30 lbs of Red Dot and a proven load for it.
Ya just gotta go with what ya can find.

Offline Crow Choker

• Top Active Citizen
  • River Banker Extraordinaire
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 36
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2014, 01:39:52 PM »
I've loaded .45 ACP with Unique, Bulls Eye, Red Dot, Green Dot, 231 and 700X. The old Unique used to be a dirty powder, but define dirty? So I have to clean thoroughly after 500 rds instead of 750. Big Deal.

My preferred powder is Red Dot, but you gotta take whatcha can get these days.
I always defined 'a dirty powder' by how much residue it left outside of the gun I was shooting it in, also residue left in the barrel. For the majority of the years I was a badge wearing police officer I carried and shot in competition/plinking a 4" Colt Trooper (38/357) that I had a Metallife finish applied to it (1979) by Magna-Port Arms. It is a silvery/gray color, hard as the proverbial rock and wears like proverbial 'iron'. I like it better than stainless steel in appearance. Anyway, after the refinish, I could really tell more than when the gun was in its blued state as to which powders burned cleaner than others. Used the same guide when loading cast/jacketed loads using such powders as 2400, 296, etc in 357 rounds. Loading/shooting 38 Spec rounds, the old Hercules Bullseye blackened the cylinder/barrel more than 231 and with Titegroup. Unique did so to, but the newer stuff IS cleaner burning. I haven't tried the Alliant Bullseye, probably won't due to liking and having a good supply of 231/HP-38 and Titegroup.  In my three 1911 style 45 ACP's, one is a stainless model. The 231/HP-38 powders and Titegroup work real well. Accurate and clean burning. Been gonna' try Red Dot, but it's a 'ben-gonna' project. I do like Red Dot in 45 Colt, one of my favorite powders for that caliber. Most powders in my area (North Iowa) are plentiful and not near the price some have posted as paying. Red Dot Titegroup, Unique, 231 for example run $18-20 per pound. Primers$30-32 per 1000. 22LR's are a nother' matter. :(   
Darksider-1911 Shooter-BOLD Chambers-RATS-SCORRS-STORM-1860 Henry(1866)-Colt Handgun Lover an' Fan-NRA-"RiverRat"-Conservative American Patriot and Former Keeper & Enforcer of the Law an' Proud of Being Both! >oo

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2014, 08:15:08 PM »
Try $32-$34 per lb. for most rifle/pistol powders in Canada - IF you can find any on the shelves.

Too many hoarders out there who will eventually have no one to shoot with since we can't find powder to load with.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline Will Lynchem

• Top Active Citizen
  • New York City? Get a rope!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2014, 01:38:29 PM »
Here in So Cal, Unique and Bullseye are almost non existent and if you find 231 get all you can. I hear since Hodgdon has taken over Winchester and IMR powders, 231 is being phased out. Two powders I have started reloading 45ACP with and find easy to get are Accurate #5 and Winchester AutoComp. Both seem to be very clean burning and accurate.  There is also Hodgdon Longshot which burns a little on the dirty side being a shotgun powder but seems to work well also. Hope this helps. W. L.
I call that bold talk for a one eyed fat man!!! 
NRA / Dirty Rats # 703 /  SASS # 99703

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2014, 08:02:28 PM »
I believe [IMR] powders are made in Quebec, according to "Handloader" magazine. They get shipped to the US and then we go begging here.

Offline Grapeshot

• Grapeshot. Cpt US Artillery
  • Top Active Citizen
  • WARTHOG
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2015, 01:41:11 PM »
As Stated I used to use Unique exclusively.  After conversing with a long time friend and telling him that he informed me that "Hercules", now Alliant Powders, were once described to him as "Explosive Dirt".
Listen!  Do you hear that?  The roar of Cannons and the screams of the dying.  Ahh!  Music to my ears.

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2015, 07:31:41 PM »
The only powder I use anymore in the .45 acp is Alliant American Select.  Easy to find, very clean single base powder, highly consistent both in meter and burn.  Try 4.5 grains under a 230 LRN.

in my 1911: avg 856 fps, SD 18.
in a 16" Thompson Semi Auto: avg 997 fps, SD 11.
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

Offline Blackfoot

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2015, 05:34:10 PM »
I used Tigegroup for a long time but when I couldn't find it I tried Red Dot.  I am not looking for Tigegroup any more.

Blackfoot

Offline Will Lynchem

• Top Active Citizen
  • New York City? Get a rope!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2015, 12:14:10 AM »
 Hey, Trinity, take a look at the post I left in the reloading section of thr forum.  I just tried loading 45ACP with trail boss and got some really good results. Accurate as any powder I've used and a surprisingly light recoil. A really good match. W.L.
I call that bold talk for a one eyed fat man!!! 
NRA / Dirty Rats # 703 /  SASS # 99703

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com