Author Topic: Brand new Ruger New Vaquero  (Read 5430 times)

Offline Dan Gerous

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Brand new Ruger New Vaquero
« on: April 24, 2014, 09:56:34 AM »
Howdy everyone! I'm new to this forum, although I've been "lurking" for a while. I just bought my first CAS gun, a Ruger New Vaquero .357 with a 4 3/4" barrel in stainless steel and took it to the range for the first time. I was shooting .38 special and after about ten rounds, the cylinder locked up! I checked and found the base pin had moved forward. After pushing it back in place, everything worked fine. Is this a common problem and should I send it back or is it something I can fix?
All growed up and still playin' Cowboy!

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
Re: Brand new Ruger New Vaquero
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2014, 11:35:24 AM »
Are you talking it did it ONE time?  Or is it doing it after every ten rounds?  If it only did it one time, chances are it wasn't seated in the first place.  If it is doing it all the time, send it back.  If you have to ask if you can fix it, you probably can't.  Could be a minor adjustment, could mean doing some machine work on the frame.  I have had some where there was just a burr in the base pin hole.  On others the groove in the base pin had to be deepened.  On some the hole in the frame where the base pin latch is located was not bored deep enough so the latch was not engaging the base pin.  This required milling the frame.  Since it is new, if there is a problem send it back.

Offline Dan Gerous

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2014, 07:43:14 PM »
Pettifogger, you were absolutely right. I went out to the range and put another 50 round through the Ruger without any trouble.
I must not have had the pin properly seated before. This gun is new to me and I guess I'm still on the learning curve! ::) ::)
All growed up and still playin' Cowboy!

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 03:17:09 AM »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com