Author Topic: Rolling Block Project - Suggestions  (Read 4845 times)

Offline Hargrave

• " Prairie Smoke" Jake
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Rolling Block Project - Suggestions
« on: April 18, 2014, 01:33:14 PM »
Hello Pard's

I have an old Rolling Block action from a .43 Spanish rifle. I want to use this as the basis for a new buffalo gun. This rifle was picked up at a local gun show by my 15 year old daughter and she wants a Buff gun .... God Bless her heart !!

Ok, Now the questions ... who do you recommend for this? I am NO GUNSMITH and would like to get her something made right and have her participate in the process.

Thanks,
Jacob
"Prairie Smoke" Jake
Houston, TX
In matters of style, swim with the current;
In matters of principle, stand like a rock.
(Thomas Jefferson)

Offline rifle

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Rolling Block Project - Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2014, 09:29:13 AM »
Get a copy of a "Black Powder Cartridge News" magazine SPG And Steve Garbe puts out and look thru it fer gunsmiths that work with re-barreling.

Have someone magnaflux the receiver tosee if there are any unseen fractures in it.

Offline Trailrider

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Gunfighter Zone
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2014, 11:32:32 AM »
Get a copy of a "Black Powder Cartridge News" magazine SPG And Steve Garbe puts out and look thru it fer gunsmiths that work with re-barreling.

Have someone magnaflux the receiver tosee if there are any unseen fractures in it.

Roger that last! Also, you need to have the pivot pins checked for flattening, and the receiver needs to be especially checked for cracks in the main pivot holes.  You probably should have the firing pin hole in the breechblock face bushed and a smaller diameter pin fitted.  What cartridge are you planning to use?  I would recommend sticking with a cartridge based on the .45-70 head, rather than the .50-70 head, as the smaller diameter means less backthrust on the breech, though the difference isn't significant. (Recoil will be less with the smaller round.)  Best of luck with your project.
Ride to the sound of the guns, but watch out for bushwhackers! Godspeed to all in harm's way in the defense of Freedom! God Bless America!

Your obedient servant,
Trailrider,
Bvt. Lt. Col. Commanding,
Southern District
Dept. of the Platte, GAF

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 04:49:38 PM »

Offline PJ Hardtack

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2014, 08:52:31 PM »
I think you've got that backwards. As the owner of two Shiloh 50-70's (one a carbine), one Shiloh Business Rifle in 45-70, two .50 Shiloh '63's (one a carbine), a 45-70 Rem RB, a .43 Spanish RB,  two H&R Trapdoors (one a carbine) and a Browning '86, I beg to differ .....

When I was casting about trying to decide what calibre to order for a carbine, I spoke to the late Dave Higginbottom(sp.?), founder  of Lone Star Rifle. His advice was a 50-70.

Why? the same amount of powder and lead that would rattle your teeth in a light 45-70 is tame in a 50-70. Why? He explained it as simple ballistic physics - the greater diameter = less pressure = less recoil.

Your comment cannot be based on experience.

I would recommend sticking with a cartridge based on the .45-70 head, rather than the .50-70 head, as the smaller diameter means less backthrust on the breech, though the difference isn't significant. (Recoil will be less with the smaller round.)  Best of luck with your project.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline Rowdy Fulcher

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2014, 09:57:15 AM »
Howdy
I called Lone Star Rifle Company and talked with Dave several years ago .    He suggested the 50-70 and went on to explain the advantages of that round .

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com