Author Topic: Is There A List?  (Read 8402 times)

Offline SpicyMcHaggis

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Is There A List?
« on: April 10, 2014, 10:23:41 AM »
Is there a list somewhere that I'm missing that has CAS manufacturers of weapons and other accessories to the game? Even if I don't join the CAS I've been wanting an Old West type revolver and rifle. Just joined your forum last night, so I guess this my howdy-doo, glad ta meetcha post as well. Looks like lots of friendly folks and information to be had.

Offline Shawnee McGrutt

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 12
Re: Is There A List?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2014, 03:02:46 PM »
Spicy McHaggis, no list but Uberti and Pietta are the big  manufacturers.  Look them up on line.
Get a copy of Guns of the Old West, there are ads from most of the retailers.
Welcome and have fun.
Shawnee
National Congress of Old West Shootists 3633
Single Action Shooting Society 88462
Society of Remington Revolver Shooters
The Sublyme and Holy Order of the Soot
"I wish I had an answer to that because I'm tired of answering that question." - Yogi Berra

Offline Mean Bob Mean

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2014, 03:58:40 PM »
Howdy Spicy, I wear the MacIntyre if you're that Scottish. 

Tell us, what firearms, period in the west, or look are you drawn to?  That might help folks steer you.  Are you looking for leather?  Firearms?  Clothing?  Accessories? 

Proud to meet you,

Bob
"We tried a desperate game and lost. But we are rough men used to rough ways, and we will abide by the consequences."
- Cole Younger

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 09:20:32 PM »

Offline SpicyMcHaggis

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2014, 04:09:15 PM »
Spicy McHaggis, no list but Uberti and Pietta are the big  manufacturers.  Look them up on line.
Get a copy of Guns of the Old West, there are ads from most of the retailers.
Welcome and have fun.
Shawnee

I have a couple issues of Guns of the Old West. That's partially responsible for my new obsession with this. And I'm already eyeballing lustfully at the Pietta 1851 Navy .36 cal (just like ol' Wild Bill!). Are Traditions weapons worth a look, they are a bit cheaper? Also looking at EAA Bounty Hunters for a more recent era revolver. Knowing me, I'll end up with a black-powder and a SAA type.  ;D I already belong to a club that entertains SASS events, which is a head start of sorts. Gonna mosey over when they shoot and give 'em a look. Big event coming in a couple weeks I guess.

Offline SpicyMcHaggis

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2014, 04:15:16 PM »
Howdy Spicy, I wear the MacIntyre if you're that Scottish. 

Tell us, what firearms, period in the west, or look are you drawn to?  That might help folks steer you.  Are you looking for leather?  Firearms?  Clothing?  Accessories? 

Proud to meet you,

Bob

Scot/Irish/German, sir, and thanks for the welcome. Right now I'm just concerned with the weapons. Once I check out some shoots I'll get a handle on the rest of it and how far I want to get involved. It looks like a real hoot! I'm a man of size, so I'm afraid finding the proper clothing might be an obstacle. I really enjoy the pictures of all of you in your garb....just fantastic!

Offline Mean Bob Mean

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2014, 04:16:56 PM »
I already belong to a club that entertains SASS events, which is a head start of sorts. Gonna mosey over when they shoot and give 'em a look. Big event coming in a couple weeks I guess.

Highly recommend attending an event and seeing what is required to shoot in local matches.  They will usually let you try their pieces, especially if you bring a little ammo.  SASS requires 2 pistols, shotgun and a pistol caliber rifle for most matches. 

If you like the 1851 looks but want the ease of loading cartridges, I suggest looking at cartridge conversion and open top revolvers.  Great lines and great guns with terrific natural pointing "instincts".  Start casting around your club, someone might have tried it and is moving on to other pursuits and may have some equipment/firearms to unload. 
"We tried a desperate game and lost. But we are rough men used to rough ways, and we will abide by the consequences."
- Cole Younger

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1174
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2014, 01:07:47 AM »
Yes there is a list.  Actually, I've seen several but don't remember where.  But for a big list, go to the SASS home page and at the lower right of the page click on "SASS Links"

Offline Shawnee McGrutt

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2014, 05:35:32 AM »
Spicy McHaggis, I shouldn't go on line and try to multitask .  NCOWS has a list of approved guns also.  When I replied I was thinking more about work, don't know what got into me.
Scottish-German , good combo.
Black powder is a blast.  Don't let anyone tell you likewise.
The problem with shooting cowboy  guns is, that once you begin buying them you can't stop. ;D. Traditions is an importer, I have a 1858 Remington NMA ( Pietta made) from them.  Also some flint and cap lock rifles from them, all good guns.  As for price on them, I think they tend to be more expensive.  I have noticed that Cabelas, sells the same manufactures ,at a lower price. 
Got to think work, Keep your powder dry
Shawnee
"I wish I had an answer to that because I'm tired of answering that question." - Yogi Berra

Offline SpicyMcHaggis

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2014, 12:12:20 PM »
I was looking at this http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/21_450/products_id/411549325/TRADITIONS+1851+COLT+NAVY+44+REDI+PACK. Just to get me started and see how I like it. If not this, I'm finding some 1851 Navy's and 1858 Rem replica's from Pietta at reasonable prices that I like.

Offline Shawnee McGrutt

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2014, 06:03:10 PM »
Spicy McHaggis,  Cabela's has the same revolver for $180.00.  The starter kits have every thing that you need to get started except the black powder and caps.  I myself would skip the starter set and buy the gun alone and purchase the other items.  If your state allows purchase of black powder guns without background checks I would go through Cabela's and have it shipped to you. 
As some of the guys have said, go to a shoot.  See what others are using and don't be afraid to ask if you can look at  and try out .  Most shooters are more then happy to let you try their guns out. 
Keep your powder dry
Shawnee

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com