Author Topic: Trapdoor Score  (Read 1536 times)

Offline Grenadier

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Trapdoor Score
« on: April 14, 2014, 08:13:22 AM »
Was attending our spring WW1 re-enactment this weekend and I stumbled on a Model 1884 Springfield. Since it was a deal that I could not refuse, it came home with me. I know next to nothing about these and I have not been able to find much information online. From what I can tell it has an earlier style sight on it, but everything else appears to be correct. This one does not have a rod bayonet, nor does it appear to have ever had one. This one is set up for the earlier socket bayonet. I gather that some of the earlier 1884 models still accepted the socket bayonet. Is this correct?

There are no US inspection stamps that I can see on the stock, but it has been knocked about over the past 100+ years.

Is there a simple way to identify a pieced together or Bannerman gun?

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
Re: Trapdoor Score
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2014, 10:11:10 AM »
Have a Look here:   http://www.trapdoorcollector.com/

All 1884s came with the socket bayonet. (Except for a small number of experimental Rod bayonet rifles)  The Rod bayonet was primarily the hallmark of the M1888, the last model of trapdoor, of which 60000 or so were made.

We would need to see some pictures to give you more information.  The 1884 is kind of a puzzle, as most all the changes that mark it happened prior to 1884.  It is thought by some that the "1884" stamp itself simply meant that the "1873" stamp had worn out.

As it is, the 1884s are my favorite TDs, with all the upgrades of the series, but still with the classic socket bayonet.  One hangs above my liquor cabinet even now, and has shown itself to be an accurate, GAF winning rifle.
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

Offline Grenadier

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2014, 12:36:03 PM »
Thanks, Drydock! I will try to get some pics this week.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 10:53:12 PM »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com