Author Topic: 1st gen Colt Model 1860 Question  (Read 1838 times)

Offline Long Johns Wolf

• Top Active Citizen
  • "Centaures will make you become addicted"
    • Belgian Colt, aka Centaure, aka Centennial Army, aka "1960 NEW MODEL ARMY"
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 44
1st gen Colt Model 1860 Question
« on: April 13, 2014, 05:03:17 AM »
Hello to the campfire, I have a question regarding the model guns and prototypes' production of the venerable Colt Model 1860 Army.
I understand from the literature available to me that the
#1 regular production guns were introduced some time during 1860,
#2 a couple of Dragoons were "skinned" to make them into a lighter, belt type pistol during the period 1858/59
But when exactly in 1859 was the latter program completed and the former regular production of the 1860 started in 1860?
There should be some months of interim period for the making of the model guns or prototypes before full scale production is kicked off?
Thanks for your help.
Long Johns Wolf
BOSS 156, CRR 169 (Hon.), FROCS 2, Henry Board, SCORRS, STORM 229, SV Hofheim 1938, VDW, BDS, SASS

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 396
Re: 1st gen Colt Model 1860 Question
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2014, 07:30:31 AM »
My knowledge come from the "Colt Conversions..." book and I am a continent and a small ocean away from my copy. I have the impression that the anorexic dragoon was abandoned when the creeping rammer was developed. I am speculating that the rammer improvement was a separate but contemporary project and was based on the 1851 frame. The merging of the two projects may have resulted? Colt engineers must also have developed confidence in metallurgical improvements to the '51 frame.

How much influence from the military was involved? There was an impending war, which likely pushed for the issue of the 1860 before the 1861.

No answer yet, just my speculation.
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com