Author Topic: Short stroke for the 1860  (Read 5344 times)

Offline jimbobborg

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Short stroke for the 1860
« on: April 02, 2014, 11:32:45 AM »
It's been 6 years since the last question about this, so I figure things have changed since then.  Who makes a short stroke kit that's legal for SASS for the 1860 and how easy/hard is it to install?  Should I get a smith to do the install?  It's not just speed I'm after, I've apparently short stroked it at two matches which cost me clean shoots at both.  I love the stock the way it is, if I can shorten the lever stroke some it makes it easier for me to cycle the rifle without gumming up the works.  So what say you all?

Offline King Medallion

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 14753
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 165
Re: Short stroke for the 1860
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2014, 05:45:44 PM »
Real cowboys didnt have shortstroked rifles. ;)
King Medallion

Offline Mean Bob Mean

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2014, 08:13:12 PM »
Real cowboys didnt have shortstroked rifles. ;)

Did they have those sunglasses you're sporting?

He he he
"We tried a desperate game and lost. But we are rough men used to rough ways, and we will abide by the consequences."
- Cole Younger

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 05:37:12 AM »

Offline King Medallion

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 14753
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 165
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2014, 10:07:52 PM »
Ding!!!   ;D

required by law   :(
King Medallion

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2014, 10:14:17 PM »
Any short stroke for a 66 or 73 will work.  If you aren't after speed and just want something a little shorter and more user friendly I would get a 3rd gen short stroke.  Like a lot of things, they are easy to install if you know how the gun is supposed to operate and how to check and, if necessary, adjust the timing.  Directions usually come with the kits.  There are basically only two games in town: Pioneer and Cowboys and Indians.  I have a few of each and they all work well.  All the short stroke kits are legal for SASS, that's the way the make them.  If they weren't legal for SASS, no one would buy them.

Offline Fox Creek Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 104
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2014, 10:14:23 PM »
Using a Henry in the first place is a strike against speed compared to say a tricked out '66 or '73. Short stroking a Henry is analogous to making a mule drink rocket fuel to make it go faster.  ;D  :D  ;)

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 360
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2014, 10:17:46 PM »
Using a Henry in the first place is a strike against speed compared to say a tricked out '66 or '73. Short stroking a Henry is analogous to making a mule drink rocket fuel to make it go faster.  ;D  :D  ;)
Good analogy  ;D
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2014, 11:36:06 PM »
SOMETIMES ............I ........... JUST .......... CAN'T ......... HELP MYSELF!!!!!!!  ;D ;D ;D
CAS is a FANTASY game.  GAME.  To be played by folks at their own level within the rules. So .......
DONT GO POO POOin folks cause they want to short stroke a Henry.  I have four of em, there all short stroked and I. An run em alongside any '66 or '73.
'Sides, if yer standin close with a BIC when that mule breaks wind ...............  :o
Plus one to Pettifogger.  There are two games in town.  Cowboys and Indian Store in California and Pioneer Gunworks in Oregon.  I've installed countless of both.  Now the caveat.  Without some judicious action work, and reduced springs, installing a short stroke will give you the shorter stroke, but it'll take three men and a boy to run the lever.  If your not a practitioner of spring grinding, I'd recommend a set of SlixSpring side lever springs (Longhunter Shooting Supply) and a Main Spring from "The Smith Shop."  Then make you up a nice slippery stick (7 1/16 Dowell, waxed) that fits on top of a 10 round cartridge stack.  Save you a magazine blow-up if you lose control of the follower.
These little mods will make your Henry super user friendly.
Let's all remember  almost nothing we do, is anything like it was 150 years ago.  Quit pickin on people cause they wanna do it there way, cause when you do, you just sound like a SCHOOL YARD BULLY.  So There. 8)

Coffinmaker

Offline jimbobborg

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2014, 05:21:20 AM »
Thanks, all.   I love the rifle, the ergos are a little off for me.  I'm 5'9" tall.  I have to shorten the stock on my 87 shotgun, as my arms are too short to run it effectively.  I don't want to cut the stock on the 1860, so a short stroke would let me run it properly without jacking rounds. 

Offline Driftwood Johnson

• Driftwood Johnson
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2014, 07:46:43 AM »
Let's all remember  almost nothing we do, is anything like it was 150 years ago.  Quit pickin on people cause they wanna do it there way, cause when you do, you just sound like a SCHOOL YARD BULLY.  So There. Cool

Yeah!

My Henry has a shortstroke kit in it. I didn't put it in because it would make it run faster, I had Happy Trails put it in so I didn't have to do the Henry Hop. I hold the gun with my hand real near the frame. With my spacer stick, the follower tab never quite reaches my hand. And don't give me grief about the spacer stick either. ;D
That’s bad business! How long do you think I’d stay in operation if it cost me money every time I pulled a job? If he’d pay me that much to stop robbing him, I’d stop robbing him.

Ya probably inherited every penny ya got!

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 360
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2014, 08:52:23 AM »
Wow, touchy subject  :-\ I think his analogy was maybe meant that a loading on the clock stage would negate the short stroke kit for speed. I suppose shooting the SASS 10-10-4 thing where the short strokes are allowed thats not a problem. Or if you're really good at loading over the top.
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

Offline cal44walker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2014, 03:54:36 PM »
I don't have any affiliation with either company but I did a lot of testing with both kits. I found the C&I kit to be slightly better than the Pioneer kits. They are heat treated and after 10,000+ rounds in my rifle plus probably 50,000+ dry firings, show no signs of wearing and I found them to function very reliably. The Pioneer "medium" stroke kit worked well too, but I had some issues with the Super Short kits from them. The Pioneer kits are not heat treated and I found the tolerances to be wider than on the C&I although this might vary from batch to batch. I did a full review of all my tests on the review forum. Take a look there if you want to find out more.

cal44walker

Offline jimbobborg

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2014, 07:13:07 PM »
Well, I found the 3rd gen kit from C&I, but they're sold out until the middle of the month.  In fact, all of their kits are sold out.  But I will gladly wait on them if it lets me shoot my Henry with less struggle.  Dang short arms.  At least the springs are in stock. 

Offline HolliferADollar

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2014, 08:19:22 PM »
Yeah!

My Henry has a shortstroke kit in it. I didn't put it in because it would make it run faster, I had Happy Trails put it in so I didn't have to do the Henry Hop. I hold the gun with my hand real near the frame. With my spacer stick, the follower tab never quite reaches my hand. And don't give me grief about the spacer stick either. ;D

+1, my Henry also has a short stroke kit, one of Ron Snover's.  It has a longer stroke than some kits but short enough to make a difference without losing leverage.  I do the same as you Driftwood, if I hold right in front of the receiver I can just feel the tabs in my cheater stick as it passes through my fingers!

Holler
Panhandle Cattle Company
Big Bend Bushwhackers
Panhandle Cowboys
SASS #91847
1860 Henry roster #151

Offline Sleepy Floyd

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2014, 09:14:13 PM »
Thanks guys.

I never thought of a cheater stick for my 1860.  I'll have to go play and see if I like it.

Offline jimbobborg

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2014, 08:39:17 PM »
I managed to not jack a round out today, too bad I had one actual miss  :-\  First one in CAS, and with my 1860.  Oh well.  I did manage to shoot all 40s today, even with the miss.

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2014, 07:14:48 PM »
OOOOOKAYYYYYYYY!!

Coffinmaker

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com