Author Topic: NCOWS in New England  (Read 10270 times)

Offline Tascosa Joe

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 2770
  • NCOWS #: L-168
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 11
Re: NCOWS in New England
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2014, 09:08:56 PM »
I think the main reason it will be hard to get started is trying to get everyone together at one time. Since we are talking about 4 states it won't be easy. Would have to have some way to have meetings on the internet just so all could participate.
You realize that our Texas posse covers a larger geographic area than your 4 states.  All of us travel over 100 miles to attend a shoot.  Our posse covers and area 300 miles long and about 150 miles deep.
NRA Life, TSRA Life, NCOWS  Life

Offline Will Ketchum

• Chief of Detectives
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Pete Ersland
  • SASS #: 4222
  • NCOWS #: 133
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2014, 10:52:48 PM »
The thing to keep in mind when working with a SASS posse is that NCOWS and SASS are not in competition.  Just to separate organizations doing CAS in their own way.  It is a mistake to belittle SASS shooters for their lack of authenticity because SASS has never pretended to have anything historical about it.  SASS is more about recapturing the B Westerns of many of our childhoods not trying to recreate a historical correct era.

I am a life member in both groups.  For me SASS lost it's attraction when it became more about winning than having fun.  That doesn't mean one can't still have fun at SASS events.  ;)

Just approach your SASS posse in away that your not threat to them.

Will Ketchum
Will Ketchum's Rules of W&CAS: 1 Be Safe. 2 Have Fun. 3  Look Good Doin It!
F&AM, NRA Endowment Life, SASS Life 4222, NCOWS Life 133.  USMC for ever.
Madison, WI

Offline Billy Bristol

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #97003
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2014, 05:42:34 AM »
You realize that our Texas posse covers a larger geographic area than your 4 states.  All of us travel over 100 miles to attend a shoot.  Our posse covers and area 300 miles long and about 150 miles deep.

I do realize that. All I was saying is it would be better to find a place central to most everyone. When I was younger I would not have even giving it a thought to go 200 - 300 miles for a day trip. 4 years ago I drove 400 miles to other end of PA just to look at a house I thought about buying and then drove back home the same day. But for monthly shoots that can get tiring and costly in today's economy for some.
Always knew I was born 100 yrs too late.

New Britain, CT

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 08:40:53 AM »

Offline Shawnee McGrutt

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 12
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2014, 06:01:36 AM »
There are SASS groups in Harvard, Ma., Berwick, Me. and the ones in N.H. can't be to far from this area.  This would be a good area to try to focus on as a place that would be convenient .  This area would be about the midpoint of the region and has easy access.
Is there a way that, the others on the list of members here in New England, can be contacted, to see if they have an interest or any suggestions.  As of now I count two members with interest and one that would join up if a posse was formed.  Guess that ain't to bad for several days of "talk".  
Also I guess if a posse was formed interest from others not members might fill out the group.
Shawnee
National Congress of Old West Shootists 3633
Single Action Shooting Society 88462
Society of Remington Revolver Shooters
The Sublyme and Holy Order of the Soot
"I wish I had an answer to that because I'm tired of answering that question." - Yogi Berra

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2014, 08:16:27 AM »
Shawnee & Billy B

The "If you build it they will come" theory is valid, that's just the way it went here.
We announced in 2010 and folks began over course of year, began to contact & join us.
We held our 1st. NCOWS sanctioned first shoot in the State, in 2011.

However, I might suggest a bit of caution reaching out unsolicited ( your doing fine here  on the BB  and attending SASS shoots looking for like minded folks though)

The reason, (or at least what happened to me  :-\  )
About 12 years ago, I was provided a contact list of NCOWS members in the State, there was about 11-12.
No posse' and no shooting dates.
Using this list I send mailings and called a few when Phone numbers were provided.
Strangely, in one such call I was greeted with some hostility.
The person, was gruff,  demanded "where I got his phone number  " and when I told him, proceeded to inform me I had no
business disturbing him  :-\ and that NCOWS should not have provided "his" info....
Maybe he was having a bad day, or  just fed up with phone solicitors in general  ?  no clue ...

I apologized, and was left puzzled.... I only mention it here because, I was taken aback, it took the wind out of my sails
I decided there was a protocol, and I adopted the "Build it and they will come" approach.
Since then I have not experienced anything remotely like that one FELLOW ! 

A Wanted poster style flyer I made , gave my contact and was posted in some Gun shops & our shooting range, were SASS & muzzle-loaders already had a large following.

when planets align...do the deal !

Offline pony express

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2014, 08:46:32 AM »
Shawnee and Billy, maybe if you can't get enough people close enough together for monthly shoots, you could try quarterly shoots, instead of monthly. Or maybe 3 "quarterly" and skip the winter one, if weather doesn't cooperate. Might make the travel time seem not so bad if it's every three months or so.

Offline Shawnee McGrutt

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2014, 09:39:41 AM »
Pony, that was some what I was thinking.  Couple of shoots a year.  I didn't want to give the idea that interest was waining, or that it could be done half@$$ed.  I think one of the problems up here is the distance, as Billy stated. 

Major 2,  I guess , I was really thinking when I asked about the New England members of NCOWS, was to see if they  hung out here in CASCity.  That way , one could gauge if there was interest.  I thought by now, that someone else would have put in their  $.02.  Guess some don't frequent the site as often as others.

There are quite a few SASS & CFDA groups here in the Nor'east , I still feel that NCOWS could get a posse together.
Keep your powder dry
Shawnee
"I wish I had an answer to that because I'm tired of answering that question." - Yogi Berra

Offline Billy Bristol

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #97003
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2014, 11:02:07 AM »
Shawnee,

I was kinda hoping to see a few interested myself. I just started shooting SASS last year and also looked at NCOWS then. I would much more prefer the more relaxed atmosphere of NCOWS as I am not into competition shooting like alot of the SASS shooters.
Hopefully more show up and respond here. But will also see if anyone from the local SASS shoots would be interested.
Always knew I was born 100 yrs too late.

New Britain, CT

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 463
« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2014, 11:33:08 AM »
Shawnee,

I was kinda hoping to see a few interested myself. I just started shooting SASS last year and also looked at NCOWS then. I would much more prefer the more relaxed atmosphere of NCOWS as I am not into competition shooting like alot of the SASS shooters.
Hopefully more show up and respond here. But will also see if anyone from the local SASS shoots would be interested.

Billy, Shawnee, et al

no one in SASS is going to kick you out of a match because you shoot slower than someone else, nor are they going to have a fit if you choose not to trick out your firearms. Like all organizations in the shooting sports, they'll welcome new blood.
Just plan to go and ask to be squaded together as a group, police yourselves as far as minimum clothing and accoutrements requirements a la' NCOWS, and keep an informal tally amongst yourselves using NCOWS scoring.

All while signed up under SASS category, of course. Scoring being a relative thing, ask the RO if it would be OK to shoot as a beginner using a rifle and a revolver only and volunteer to just take the misses for the missing arms. Be polite, help work the posse each stage, and I see no reason for anyone to complain. Only thing missing may be the opportunity to shoot a double action, but what the heck.

"There is nothing to fear but fear itself." - FDR
"Have fun and shoot your own style" - RCJ
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Offline Shawnee McGrutt

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: July 02, 2014, 05:15:05 PM »
Just tiring to keep this topic alive.  I was really hoping that some others would have chimed in by now. 

Shawnee

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
« Reply #30 on: July 02, 2014, 05:47:07 PM »
You might reach out to Bluesman... he is up your way...

I'm in agreement with friend, RCJ.

"There is nothing to fear but fear itself." - FDR
"Have fun and shoot your own style" - RCJ
" Build it they will come" = Ghost of Shoeless Jo Jackson, plagiarized by Moi
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Pancho Peacemaker

• NCOWS Texican Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #3120, SASS #75813
    • Pancho's Videos
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: July 02, 2014, 06:45:16 PM »
Just tiring to keep this topic alive.  I was really hoping that some others would have chimed in by now. 

Shawnee

Drop a note on our Facebook site. Its becoming well followed by many prospective members.  You might find a few interested New Englanders on there.
NRA - Life
NRA-ILA
TSRA - Life
S&W Collectors Association

"A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user."
-T. Roosevelt (1858 - 1919)

Offline OklaTom

• NCOWS Judge, NCOWS Life 172, GAF 719, SASS 73114, NRA Life, TSRA, Berger Sharp Shooters, Blue River Regulators, Kansas Vigilance Committee
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Bryan Buck
    • 3B Shooting Supply
  • SASS #: 73114
  • NCOWS #: L-172
  • GAF #: 719
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 60
« Reply #32 on: July 03, 2014, 12:34:34 AM »
Drop a note on our Facebook site. Its becoming well followed by many prospective members.  You might find a few interested New Englanders on there.

I think Pancho has an excellent idea.  Check out https://www.facebook.com/NCOWS and post your desires and see if someone else in your area is interested in starting a posse.  It only takes 5 NCOWS members to get started...
"I druther have a pocket full of rocks than an empty gun..."

OklaTom@att.net

Offline Ol Gabe

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #33 on: July 03, 2014, 09:17:38 AM »
B.B., Kind Sir,
Thank you for your interest in NCOWS, it is much appreciated by those of us that have been involved or members for the long haul.
Just for the sake of discussion, only, I wouldn't worry much about monthly events, meetings, etc., for the time being, just have fun getting started!
OK, here are some easy start-up suggestions, find a local range, or even a willing farmer that enjoys the hobby and has a safe place to shoot. You might suggest a trade of labor or somesuch for the day you want to have an event. After you get a date set put up fliers in local hardware & gun shops and contact the local gun clubs and NRA regional folks to let them know you are trying to establish a new venue to help them get 'new' members. Contact SASS, NMLRA, NSSA/CW groups to see if they have any members in the area, a cross-over is always a good way to get people out to see what you are doing. Contact the local media that you are having a 'historical event', they generally cover these as local news is always at a premium, have fliers ready and contact numbers, you'll get calls or e-mails for sure and certain!  
Endeavor to persevere, it will take some time and the time spent will make it worth the while, and never be afraid to ask for help and suggestions here on the NCOWS forum as many of us that can't participate anymore due to any number of reasons, can still offer suggestions or logical and common sense solutions to your needs.
Best regards and good shooting!
'Ol Gabe
NCOWS #925

Offline Will Ketchum

• Chief of Detectives
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Pete Ersland
  • SASS #: 4222
  • NCOWS #: 133
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: July 03, 2014, 04:44:49 PM »
Heck, I didn't even know we had a face book page.  :-[ Goes to show how out of touch I have been. :(

Will Ketchum
Will Ketchum's Rules of W&CAS: 1 Be Safe. 2 Have Fun. 3  Look Good Doin It!
F&AM, NRA Endowment Life, SASS Life 4222, NCOWS Life 133.  USMC for ever.
Madison, WI

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com