Author Topic: Real Case Color Hardening on Clones?  (Read 10914 times)

Offline Virginia Gentleman

• Top Active Citizen
  • Here's a McRib for Allah
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 24
Real Case Color Hardening on Clones?
« on: April 02, 2014, 04:17:26 AM »
Besides Cimarron, does any other importer or manufacterer offer real charcoal and bone case coloring as an option on their SAAs?

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
Re: Real Case Color Hardening on Clones?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2014, 04:24:44 PM »
Since we basically don't know what "they" use on a production run, or even day to day, no.  "They" may even use charcoal and bone every day.  What you get is dependent on the wood used to get the charcoal and then the bone.  There is just no way to make that blanket determination.  Cimarron's offer of charcoal and bone may well be nothing more than a marketing ploy without substance.  
The Italian manufacturers make guns in "runs."  They don't make just 1 or 10 of anything (anymore).  I use to know the minimum order for a separate run was 100 guns.  So, if you "special ordered" something, there had to be 100 orders for like items before it got made.  I don't know if that is still the case.  Pietta just moved into a huge, new facility to try and keep up with demand.  Pietta and Uberti both sell everything that can produce without deviating from standard products.
Muddied the waters didn't I.  Oh, if Cimarron, or any other importer runs out a "special" item, expect about 18 months before a restock.

Coffinmaker

PS:  Almost forgot.  Both Pietta and Uberti use "real" CCH.  It is not a chemically applied stain like Ruger.

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1204
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2014, 06:03:12 PM »
The bone meal charcoal method of CCH offered by Cimarron is called U.S. Finish by them.  It is applied by Classic Guns (used to be done by Turnbull).  EMF used to offer this finish, not sure if they still do (check their website). 

As Coffinmaker says, the Italian guns have "real" CCH but it is done with the hot salts method of heating and is not as durable nor colorful as the traditional bone meal charcoal method.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 03:29:40 PM »

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 362
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2014, 06:49:44 PM »
Since we basically don't know what "they" use on a production run, or even day to day, no.  "They" may even use charcoal and bone every day.  What you get is dependent on the wood used to get the charcoal and then the bone.  There is just no way to make that blanket determination.  Cimarron's offer of charcoal and bone may well be nothing more than a marketing ploy without substance.  
The Italian manufacturers make guns in "runs."  They don't make just 1 or 10 of anything (anymore).  I use to know the minimum order for a separate run was 100 guns.  So, if you "special ordered" something, there had to be 100 orders for like items before it got made.  I don't know if that is still the case.  Pietta just moved into a huge, new facility to try and keep up with demand.  Pietta and Uberti both sell everything that can produce without deviating from standard products.
Muddied the waters didn't I.  Oh, if Cimarron, or any other importer runs out a "special" item, expect about 18 months before a restock.

Coffinmaker

PS:  Almost forgot.  Both Pietta and Uberti use "real" CCH.  It is not a chemically applied stain like Ruger.

You are quite wrong that they wont make one of something. They may make certain models in runs but they will deviate from a standard product regarding options and finish. I have ordered three custom made guns from Cimarron with the US finish and special serial numbers along with other options to my request. The US finish is the bone and charcoal case hardening applied by Classic Guns.

I currently have a 76 rifle ordered with all blue receiver instead of case coloring.

I just received this special order rifle, serial number CLIFF3 with the US case color finish, half round barrel, and upgraded wood. If there are 99 more out there like it show me just one of them.

http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

Offline King Medallion

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 14753
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 165
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2014, 10:07:16 PM »
Thats a beautiful rifle.
King Medallion

Offline Fox Creek Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 108
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2014, 12:03:13 AM »
Thats a beautiful rifle.

It most certainly is!  :o 

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2014, 07:17:53 AM »
Thanks fellas, I'm very pleased.

I almost wish I had not ordered checkering since the wood is so nice. The checkering hides a lot of figure on the forearm.

I have a bad shoulder and haven't shot it yet but I think I'm going to absolutely love the half round barrel, it really takes a lot of muzzle weight off of it. The 24 inch barrel feels like a 20 inch barrel but with the advantage of the longer sight picture for longer ranges.

The case hardening is done by Classic Guns, not Uberti, the gun is disassembled at Cimarron and the parts are sent to Classic Guns.

If a person wants the US finish on other guns besides Cimarron I suppose you could send any gun to Classic Guns and have it done yourself. http://www.classicgunsinc.com/

Johnson County Rangers

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2014, 04:32:41 PM »
It's a purty one... Just curious.. How did you arrange the work through Cimarron?  Several phone calls ? and did you or do you have a contact now that handles special order jobs?   Do they use Classic Guns for all their work or did your arrange/request the work specifically to go to them?
I'm not looking at the present but may next year.  

Classic Guns does the US finish for Cimarron, the other work was arranged through custom order from Uberti.

When your ready to order contact 3B Shooting Supply. Our own Oklahoma Tom on this board. If it can be done, he can get it done.

http://www.3bshootingsupply.com/

Johnson County Rangers

Offline Virginia Gentleman

• Top Active Citizen
  • Here's a McRib for Allah
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 24
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2014, 01:12:17 PM »
That is a super nice rifle! So, I guess Cimarlron is the only company offering a rare case color option that is a true charcoal and bone case color finish.

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2014, 08:24:57 PM »
It is good to see there are still some exceptions to the things we think we know.  Very nice rifle Cliff.

Coffinmaker

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2014, 09:33:20 PM »
I was actually surprised at how accommodating they were. These days where real custom work is rare.

Johnson County Rangers

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com