Author Topic: colt 1860 army type 1 richards conversion  (Read 19845 times)

Offline buckskin billy

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
    • the buck rub
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: colt 1860 army type 1 richards conversion
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2014, 07:12:27 PM »
hey satchmo, sorry for the delayed response, aint been spending much time on the compooter lately.
 several years back jay made a post on here that he would be building a small lot of these guns on your donor. I jumped at it. I made a call to him, sent him a 1860 army and deposit and then just made monthly payments and waited patiently.

Hi Buckskin,

I finally got in touch in with Jay and am now patiently waiting like you were!

The pics of your gun were enough for me...!!!  Absolutely beautiful!

Satchmo

be sure to post pictures when you get it. im working on a couple of other projects but i hope in the near future to add a mate to mine
" I don't like repeat offenders, I like dead offenders"
-Ted Nugent-

if it walks, crawls, slithers or leaves a track i can tan it

http://thebuckrub.proboards.com/index.cgi?

http://thebuffalorunners.proboards.com/index.cgi

Offline satchmo

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2015, 06:34:17 PM »
Well, on Tuesday a friend and I visited Williams Gun Sight in Davison, MI...

I picked up a nice (appears brand new and unfired!) 3rd series Colt 1860 Army in a nice wood Colt box with accessories...for $750.

I've decided to send this one to Raven to convert to Richards Type 1 and retrieve the 2nd series Colt I had sent previously for that purpose.  This one is very pretty, but Colt guys don't consider it a "real" Colt...so I think it's the better one to convert.

Here's the new 3rd series gun...

Offline Fox Creek Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 104
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2015, 12:34:44 AM »
...but Colt guys don't consider it a "real" Colt...so I think it's the better one to convert...

Not so much that as that the only 'four screw' '60 Richards Conversions were U.S. Military ones and not civilian. I have only seen two in my life, one in person and the other on an Internet auction site a few years back.

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 12:20:16 PM »

Offline satchmo

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2017, 10:21:26 PM »
It's here!!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Last week, I received my Colt 3rd Series 1860 Army after if was BEAUTIFULLY converted to Richards Type 1 configuration by Jay Strite (Raven)!!!

It is gorgeous and I am one happy camper.  Feels like holding a piece of history in my hands.

Sorry for the bad pics...take my word for it, this is one great looking pistol!

Haven't shot it yet as I have to acquire all the stuff to assemble 44 Colt cartridges loaded with heel based bullets.

It was a great way to close out 2016!

Satchmo

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1180
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2017, 01:54:41 PM »
Excellent!

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2017, 06:55:10 PM »
Most Excellent!!

Coffinmaker

Offline Blackpowder Burn

• Top Active Citizen
  • Smoke & Lightning
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2017, 09:37:29 PM »
Much fun you are destined to have!  ;D
SUBLYME AND HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT
Learned Brother at Armes

Offline Crow Choker

• Top Active Citizen
  • River Banker Extraordinaire
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 36
« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2017, 11:35:05 AM »
Satchmo: You and Buckskin both have nice lookin hoglegs. Wish Uberti made the original or Type I Richards for sale. They wouldn't be as nice as far as the work Jay does, but would like one to add to my other Uberti copies of the OT, Richards II, and RM conversion. I'm to 'cheap' I guess to have Jay do one, my others are nice, had to do all the necessary after purchase tinkerin to get them right. Anyway, as Coffinmaker offered to Buckskin Bill, if you don't have time to shoot it or your afraid it might sit and collect to much dust, I'll break it in for ya for a couple of years and return it to you without a scratch or ding, even toss in a bag of beef jerky for ya to enjoy. ;D       
 Crow Choker
Darksider-1911 Shooter-BOLD Chambers-RATS-SCORRS-STORM-1860 Henry(1866)-Colt Handgun Lover an' Fan-NRA-"RiverRat"-Conservative American Patriot and Former Keeper & Enforcer of the Law an' Proud of Being Both! >oo

Offline satchmo

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2017, 03:31:05 PM »
Crow Choker, I would also like to see Uberti replicate this gun.  Seems like they are already halfway there with the Type II that they've been making for several years. 

I think there would be a market even if they had to double the price of the Type II.  Would put it in the same ballpark as their Schofield.

I wonder if they could sell it at a profit at that price point?..., and would there be enough demand to justify production?

Satchmo

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2017, 08:25:43 PM »
Actually, I'm not Crow Choker, nor did I stay at a Holliday Inn Express (that I admit) and not only that, our Holliday Inn was sold to Park Hotels so we don't even have a Holliday Inn anymore.  Anyway:

NO.  Uberti isn't going to introduce a Richards Conversion.  There isn't really a market for the Richards.  Of course there will be a few who just absolutely have to have a Richards, but just a few.  Not enough demand to to amortize production cost.  Even within CAS, Conversions are a niche market.

While there are some enough of us Loons to keep Kirst in production, there just aren't enough of us to interest Uberti.  they have to make a lot of guns for amortization and I seriously doubt Taylors nor Cimarron are willing to take a bath.

Coffinmaker

Offline Long Johns Wolf

• Top Active Citizen
  • "Centaures will make you become addicted"
    • Belgian Colt, aka Centaure, aka Centennial Army, aka "1960 NEW MODEL ARMY"
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 44
« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2017, 01:48:16 AM »
Much to my regret I have to agree with Coffinmaker that Uberti is not going even for a small scale production of a Richards.
The market is just too small.
But may be just may be Mike Harvey can sweet talk Uberti into making a kit to transform an R2 into an R1 ... if some smiths out there would then do the actual transformation job.
Long Johns Wolf
BOSS 156, CRR 169 (Hon.), FROCS 2, Henry Board, SCORRS, STORM 229, SV Hofheim 1938, VDW, BDS, SASS

Offline Crow Choker

• Top Active Citizen
  • River Banker Extraordinaire
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 36
« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2017, 09:04:04 AM »
Agree with Coffinmaker and Long John Wolf in that Uberti will never make any production runs of the original Richards model. In my post I stated that "Wish Uberti made the original or Type I Richards". Happy they produced the Richards II. If a long term spike in the shooting public that would buy them to make it profitable, then "maybe", but I'm not reserving a spot for one in my gun safe for now. Sometime ago this topic came up and cold water was tossed on it then. :(
Darksider-1911 Shooter-BOLD Chambers-RATS-SCORRS-STORM-1860 Henry(1866)-Colt Handgun Lover an' Fan-NRA-"RiverRat"-Conservative American Patriot and Former Keeper & Enforcer of the Law an' Proud of Being Both! >oo

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com