Author Topic: Hasenpfeffer  (Read 4138 times)

Offline dusty texian

• Chief Scout Wehmeyer Ranch's.
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 107
Hasenpfeffer
« on: March 31, 2014, 07:59:37 AM »
Looks like I'll be cooking Hasenpfeffer for our weekly Family gathering . The Grandboys brought in three fine Cotontail rabbits ,from thier last rabbit hunt on the ranch. Will cook up Hasenpfeffer for them . Makes them proud to bring in the game for the Family feed, they are 7, 5 and 4 yr. old .Makes me proud to have a Family that likes this way of life ,,,,,,,Dusty

Offline Blair

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Hasenpfeffer
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2014, 06:23:04 PM »
Dusty,

Sounds great.
How do you prepare/cook the rabbit for this dish?
My best,
Blair
A Time for Prayer.
"In times of war and not before,
God and the soldier we adore.
But in times of peace and all things right,
God is forgotten and the soldier slighted"
by Rudyard Kipling.
Blair Taylor
Life-C 21

Offline dusty texian

• Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2014, 06:59:14 AM »
Good Morning Blair. My way of cooking Hasenpfeffer differs from the traditional recipe,a bit. I like to start with a deep blackiron pot ,fry bacon in it until crisp, remove the bacon ,then saute onions and green peppers in the bacon grease. When this is cooked down  remove and put aside,add the flowered  covered rabbit parts into the bacon grease and cook over medium heat until brown. Then remove the browned rabbit parts and most of the grease ,but leave enough to make a gravy with flour and seasoning to taste. After the gravy is made to your likeing,then add the saute onions, peppers and rabbit parts along with the crumbled bacon pieces,back into the gravy. Then let simmer down a couple hrs. or until the rabbit comes off the bone easy /tender.The side dish is usually mashed potatos or rice ,for pouring the rabbit and gravy over.The Kids like it and so do I ,,,,,,,Dusty

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 10:06:12 PM »

Offline Mogorilla

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3306
  • GAF #: 883
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 98
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2014, 08:12:42 AM »
Man, you got me wanting some hasenpfeffer.   I have my grandmother's recipe, with buttered spatzel.   When I was a kid in the 70s-80s, we raised rabbits.  I had a deal with dad, if I did not have to harvest the chickens (hate those things until they are plucked and prepared!) I would do the rabbits.  My mom and sisters, did not much care for eating cute bunnies, but would tear into the hasenpfeffer when dad and I fixed it.  Good memories.   Man I am hungry.

Offline Blair

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2014, 02:45:39 PM »
Dusty,

That dish would be very pleasing to me too.
It is also a good way to prepare a variety of game, large and/or small.
Thank you!
My best,
Blair
A Time for Prayer.
"In times of war and not before,
God and the soldier we adore.
But in times of peace and all things right,
God is forgotten and the soldier slighted"
by Rudyard Kipling.
Blair Taylor
Life-C 21

Offline Mogorilla

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3306
  • GAF #: 883
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 98
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2014, 07:03:21 AM »
Finally typed this up from Grandma's card.   now I need to get me a few pesky wabbits!

Hasenpfeffer

5-6  lbs rabbits, cut up
1 1/2  cups diced onions 
1  cup white mushrooms, quartered or wild mushrooms 
4  slices bacon, cut up 
3  tablespoons butter 
2  teaspoons salt 
1/2  cup flour 
1/2  cup sour cream   
1  cup celery-chopped
1 cup carrots-chopped
Salt and Pepper to taste

marinade 
3 cups strong chicken stock
1/2  cup white vinegar 
 4  cloves garlic -crushed
1/2  teaspoon thyme 
1/2  teaspoon rosemary 
1/2  teaspoon marjoram leaves 

Marinate the cut up rabbit in the marinade for 24 hours.   
In large dutch oven, brown chopped bacon.  While Bacon is browning, remove rabbit from marinade and pat dry.  Flour the rabbit.   Remove crispy bacon, brown the floured rabbit in the bacon drippings, adding more oil if necessary.   Do the browning of rabbit in batches.   Once completed, add butter to pan and sauté onions and mushrooms.  When nearly completed, add celery and carrots.   Saute for a few more minutes.   Return rabbit to pan and pour in marinade.   Simmer for 1.5 hours, until rabbit is tender.   Add the crispy bacon to the pot and stir in the sour cream.    Salt and pepper to taste.  Serve over Spätzle.   

Spätzle Recipe

2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
2 eggs
3/4 cup milk

Stir together the flour and salt. Combine eggs and milk; stir into the flour mixture. Pour the batter into a potato ricer "Rice the dough into boiling, salted water.  Take care to let the Spätzle fall into the slightly bubbling water and let them cook for approximately 2-3 minutes. Generally, Spätzle swimming on the surface are sufficiently cooked and may be gathered with a large slotted spoon.   To prepare, saute Spätzle in butter, season with salt and pepper (fresh sage is good too).   when slightly browned, place on plate, with some hasenpfeffer on the side.

Offline dusty texian

• Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2014, 06:21:01 AM »
Thanks for the recipe Mogorilla! I should not have read that on an empty stomach. That sounds good! I will give it a try.,,,DT

Offline pony express

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2014, 08:56:11 AM »
Sounds good!

Haven't had Spatzle for years, not since I was stationed at Stuttgart. Tried a few German restarants since then, if the offer it at all, they just seem to cheat and use regular noodles like you get from the store.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com