Author Topic: Iver Johnson Uberti .44 mag Cattleman - some questions / helpful info  (Read 5854 times)

Offline bedbugbilly

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Hi - new to this forum but not new to the CAS site - usually hang out in the leather working section.

Anyway . . . . .

I don't shoot CAS but do enjoy shooting SA - have shot for 50 years +

I have run across a Iver Johnson Uberti Cattleman - 5 1/2" barrel blued in like new condition.  I understand these date to the 1970s.  I currently reload 38 spl. but am interested in reloading .44 . . . not interested in .44 Mag at all - getting too old for the recoil but am interested in reloading .44 Russian and .44 Spl. . . . thus my interest in the IJ Uberti . . .

First off - anything to watch for in a Uberti of this vintage?

Second - the pistol is in excellent condition - looks to be shot very little if at all.  The LGS that has it is asking $299.  I have dealt with them before and purchased used handguns from them (3 in the past year) but I know there is no "wiggle room" in the price.  Given what a new Uberti Cattleman in .44 Mag costs today - I'm thinking the $299 is a fair price - your thoughts on that please?  Or are there any issues with one that age that would warrant a "pass" in favor of a new one?

Thanks very much for any info / thoughts.   :)

Offline Virginia Gentleman

• Top Active Citizen
  • Here's a McRib for Allah
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 24
Re: Iver Johnson Uberti .44 mag Cattleman - some questions / helpful info
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2014, 08:42:35 PM »
I would grab that GUN asap, you can always shoot .44 Special and Russian out of it. It would benefit from an action job a good cleaning. Spring replacement may be needed in the future after some use. Otherwise, it sounds like a good deal.

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2014, 04:48:34 PM »
That could be a very attractive purchase.  I would caution though, there are no replacement part available and many of the parts in the lock works are different dimensionally than current production.  Changing to lighter springs is a very good suggestion.  There will be much less wear on the action parts.
If your interested in reducing recoil to a "fun gun" level, I'd strongly suggest .44 Russian cases with 160Gr cast RNFP bullets.  At beginning powder charges, it'll be a pussy cat.

Coffinmaker

Advertising

Offline Virginia Gentleman

• Top Active Citizen
  • Here's a McRib for Allah
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 24
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2014, 04:01:27 AM »
Could some current production parts be modified if needed for a replacement.  Screws, the hand, the trigger and hammer are probably different that some of the current Uberti or Pietta parts.

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2014, 11:07:41 PM »
Sure.  Just throw money at it.  By the time a rebuild is finished, you'll have more money in custom parts than you originally pay for the gun.

Coffinmaker

Offline bedbugbilly

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2014, 05:57:12 PM »
Thanks everyone for your thoughts and advice - greatly appreciated.  Although the pistol is in great shape, I decided to take a "pass" on it.  From what I've heard from some others, these 1970s versions sometimes suffered from soft internal parts - much like some of the early ASM.  I have also heard some concerns on these in terms of the firing pin hole, etc. and wear over time - causing flowing primers.  I figure that in the long ruin, I'd be better off spending some extra $$ and getting a new production Uberti.  Thanks again for your responses - greatly appreciated!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com