Author Topic: A Good Army Breakfast  (Read 3827 times)

Offline RobMancebo

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
A Good Army Breakfast
« on: March 30, 2014, 12:37:21 PM »
Happy Sunday Morning-

A Good, Army Breakfast
by Rob Mancebo

While out on Army maneuvers, the First Sergeant was up early checking on the guards.  It was ‘O’dark early’ in the morning as soldiers like to grumble.  The sky was getting light but none of the troops were really up and around except the cook.  That worthy had been up and busy for some time preparing everyone a good, GI breakfast.  He had the huge field grill fired up and had just finished scrambling something like thirty dozen eggs.  He’d scraped that mountain of cooked eggs down into the steel trough at the end of the grill to keep warm.

The Top Sergeant just stopped by to greet the cook and see how breakfast was progressing.  Well that cook had wisely located the grill under a spreading tree in anticipation of the afternoon when he’d be out there cooking in the heat of the day.  It was a good thought, however he hadn’t considered who else might be using that particular tree.  While they were talking, a curious squirrel came down to a lower branch and took a flying leap, down onto that hot grill.  It skittered across that sizzling iron like sixty and when it reached the edge it jumped-- right into the trough full of scrambled eggs.

The little fellow instantly went under in the slippery mass.  All was not lost though, he bobbed up a moment later, dog-paddling like a trooper for the far side.  In two shakes of his bushy tail, he was up and over the side of the pan and scurried off back up to the safety of his tree.

The Cook and the First Sergeant looked at each other, then back at the 30-dozen eggs that had just had a dirty, flea-bitten squirrel use them as a swimming pool.  :-X The Cook looked around to make sure they were alone then shrugged and said,  “Well, Top, there’s the meat with the eggs this morning.”   

Offline CPL Jayhawker Jake

• Very Active Citizen
  • Over the Hills and Far Away...
  • Liked:
Re: A Good Army Breakfast
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2014, 09:06:49 PM »
 :D :D

Considering normal Army cooking, the squirrel problem helped improve the egg's flavor!
GAF #827

Offline RobMancebo

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2014, 10:07:56 PM »
:D :D

Considering normal Army cooking, the squirrel problem helped improve the egg's flavor!

Yeah, but I like my meat just a little more singed than that.   ;)

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 01:56:35 PM »

Offline Blair

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2014, 06:04:41 PM »
A good Navy Breakfast aboard an Aircraft Carrier with 3,000 to 4,500 crew on board...

There are three to four guys setting a round three or four 50 gal. tub cracking cold storage eggs. Not 30 dozen at a time, but by the grouse of 144 dozen per case! For scrambling eggs for this number of personnel.
A lot of the eggs had blood in them. Meaning these eggs had been fertilized. A blood spot every now and again is not something I would worry about.
But some of the eggs I watch them crack had bird embryos in the shells. That!!! I was not going to eat as scrambled eggs!

However, you could order a fried egg or two or three or more in any way you wanted. this would be done while you watched.
This was the only way to go with the cold storage eggs!

Now that I have said this... cold storage eggs are 100% better in any condition than the old time traditional Powderd eggs!
My best,
Blair

A Time for Prayer.
"In times of war and not before,
God and the soldier we adore.
But in times of peace and all things right,
God is forgotten and the soldier slighted"
by Rudyard Kipling.
Blair Taylor
Life-C 21

Offline RobMancebo

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2014, 09:22:36 AM »

But some of the eggs I watch them crack had bird embryos in the shells. That!!! I was not going to eat as scrambled eggs!

Awww, c'mone, Blair, you mean you were on a carrier and you never stopped by the PI's and tried baluts?  The locals swear that they increase potency.   ;)

Offline Blair

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2014, 08:08:12 AM »
RobMancebo,

I just saw your posting...

Yea, I lived two years in the PI.
I know what baluts are. Which is why I wasn't going to eat the scrambled eggs aboard ship ;D
My best,
Blair
A Time for Prayer.
"In times of war and not before,
God and the soldier we adore.
But in times of peace and all things right,
God is forgotten and the soldier slighted"
by Rudyard Kipling.
Blair Taylor
Life-C 21

Offline pony express

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2014, 10:04:54 PM »
Never had ship-board scrambled eggs, but heard about them from my dad a few times. Ate quite a few army ones, though.

Married to a Filipina for 5 years, never ate a Balut yet, don't plan to. Wife won't eat them either. Other thing I won't eat from there, Diniguan, made from pig intestines and pig blood. No way! They got enough better things to eat when we visit.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com