Author Topic: Aged Pietta Dance  (Read 2744 times)

Offline Fredcdobbs

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Aged Pietta Dance
« on: March 23, 2014, 04:53:47 PM »
I messed up and put brass cleaner in my Hornaday Ultrasonic cleaner and cleaned the bluing right off my lovely Dance revolver. So I browned it with Laurel Mountain Forge Browning solution from www.trackofthewolf.com. Put the brass in some Natural Orange cleaner over night and put in the toaster oven to age that a bit but black powder will eventually do a better job.
Not much humidity here so contrary to instructions, I put the parts in the toaster oven, then browned with three thin coats. Also took longer to age, twice the recommended three hours. I like the museum look. Still the same old Dance. Possibly my favorite CB revolver among some excellent ones. It just feels right.
While I was at it, I removed all proof marks and lettering except the black powder warning and 44 caliber

Offline Mean Bob Mean

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: Aged Pietta Dance
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2014, 08:13:00 PM »
Cool!

I mean that is really cool.
"We tried a desperate game and lost. But we are rough men used to rough ways, and we will abide by the consequences."
- Cole Younger

Offline Fredcdobbs

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2014, 10:12:34 PM »
Thanks. This one was a lot harder to get right compared to the Navy London I did the same way.
When I filed the proof mark off the frame, I sanded through the case coloring base and the difference in the base frame metal and the case color made it look weird. Sooo I had to sand both sides down to the frame metal and it was a pain in the buns. I left the curved part of the recoil shield alone. Sanding through the case color is what allowed the frame to go dark instead of looking like faded case color. Live and learn. I didn't touch the proof mark on the 1851.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 04:30:32 PM »

Offline StrawHat

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 29
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2014, 09:42:37 AM »
Instead of filing off stampings, use a burnisher to redistribute the displaced metal.
Knowledge is to be shared not hoarded.

Offline Mule Ear Mortensen

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2014, 09:45:48 AM »
I really like these aged and distressed CW repeaters!
Nice Job!
STORM # 360
HENRY # 145
SCORRS
RATS # 680

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com