Author Topic: bullet / mould recommendation  (Read 5811 times)

Offline rdstrain49

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
bullet / mould recommendation
« on: March 19, 2014, 10:48:38 AM »
I'm finally getting around to working up loads for my '73.  Since I see no need to reinvent the wheel or repeat the mistakes of others, I thought I'd call upon the vast knowledge base of the group.  I'm not interested in load data.  I'd just like to know what cast bullet you have found to give best accuracy at longer distances, say 100 to perhaps even 200 yards.  Just hoping to save a bit on the cost of moulds by not wasting time with bullets that don't work well.  Thanks.

Offline Lefty Dude

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: bullet / mould recommendation
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2014, 05:34:32 PM »
Try Accurate molds, and take your pick. For that which you seek, look thru the hunting threads of this Forum & others.

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 396
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2014, 07:27:54 PM »
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 08:27:14 PM »

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2014, 12:37:25 PM »
Would help if you posted the caliber, whether the 73 is antique or modern and whether you are going to shoot BP or smokeless.

Offline Herbert

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2014, 02:51:22 PM »
Twist rate is another very important factor in choosing a bullet,for example the 1 in 36 44-40 barrels will most likly shoot best with the 200gr bullets,faster twists may require longer bullets for best acuracy.I always choose a bullet that holds enough lube for black powder shooting ,these bullets also work well with smokless.Lyman makes a very good 200gr mould that has a large greese groove for the 44-40 that has proved its self out to 300yds in good rifles and very good shooters

Offline rdstrain49

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2014, 11:25:37 PM »
Yep, my bad.  Insufficient information.  I really do know better, chalk it up to another senior moment.  The rifle is a new Uberti in 45 Colt.  Rate of twist seems to be 17 1/2".  Seemed strange so I measured it twice with same results each time.  Accuracy up to 50 yards is really quite good.  Things seem to fall apart at 100 yards, which makes me think I need a longer, heavier bullet.  Currently I am using a 200 gr. semi wad cutter, an old Hensley & Gibbs if I remember right.  (it's the only 45 mould I currently have)  I shoot black powder almost exclusively, (Swiss) and use SGP.  Probably forgot something else, another senior moment.

Thanks
RS

Offline w44wcf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2014, 09:21:26 AM »
rdstrain49,
For longer distance shooting with accuracy, I would recommend either the  Accurate 45-260B which runs fine with Swiss http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_detail.php?bullet=45-260B-D.png

or the Accurate 45-260F which will run with any b.p. due to it's additional lube capacity.
http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_detail.php?bullet=45-260F-D.png

I have tested both of those bullets out to 327 yards (steel javelina NRA Hgh Power Rifle Silhouette Range) and they shot well, with most of the bullets on target  ;D if I did my part .....

The 45-260B follows the profile of the succesful .44-40 427098 which was the original rifle bullet that has proved its accuracy at extended ranges.  The choice of b.p. is important to keep the barrel from "fouling out". Swiss or Olde Enysford would be the powders of choice. The bullet is to be crimped over the front driving band.

The 45-260F follows the same nose profile as the 45 -260B but with a single lube groove. It is the younger brother to the 43-215C, a successful .44-40 long range bullet with the same profile.

w44wcf

aka Jack Christian SASS 11993 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
aka John Kort
aka w30wcf (smokeless)
NRA Life Member
.22 W.C.F., .30 W.C.F., .44 W.C.F., .45 Colt Cartridge Historian

Offline rdstrain49

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2014, 09:53:24 AM »
Now that's the kind of information I am looking for.  THANKS

Offline leverman

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2014, 12:16:04 PM »
Guys, Here in the U.K. a premier auction site  had "antique" Winchester bullet moulds for auction, one was for a 44-40, an original 45-60 rifle is going for big money, worth a look for you guys to see how blessed you are with your heritage items for sale, a Thompson sub machine gun recently went for £10,000.  Holts Auctioneers http://www.holtsauctioners.com should get you there for a look, several original Winchester rifles for sale. deerwarden

Offline KirkD

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2014, 08:19:46 PM »
This is the one I use in my original Winchester Model 1873. http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_detail.php?bullet=43-200B-D.png It works very well for me, even though sized to .431 is still less than my .433 groove diameter. Here is a 100 yard target with that bullet ...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com