Author Topic: 45 Auto and Wild Bunch  (Read 5155 times)

Offline Ruff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Born 100 Years Too Late
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
45 Auto and Wild Bunch
« on: March 13, 2014, 10:41:00 PM »
Howdy all,

I have read the rules for Wild Bunch and understand the two categories. I am a left handed shooter, if I could find one of the Randell 1911 Government Models made in the 80's could I use the left hand model? I see no advantage to it and it would be stock.

Thank you for your replies.
Ruff
SASS #16965, WASA #155, NCOWS #3636, GAF #304
GHSS CP-088, Oregon Trail Regulators (Nebraska) #7, Cracker Cow Cavalry
RO I & II
Double Barrel C's Land and Cattle Co.
Soon to be Abilene, TX

Offline Blackfoot

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: 45 Auto and Wild Bunch
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2014, 08:01:25 AM »
I have seen this question before and as I recall the left-handed 1911's are not allowed.  If you go to the Wild Bunch forum and post the question you will probably get a prompt reply.

Blackfoot

Offline Blackfoot

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2014, 08:23:34 AM »
Search "randal" on the Wild Bunch forum and you will find the discussion on the left handed 1911's
It seems that it has not been approved by the rules committee.

Blackfoot

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 03:39:45 PM »

Offline Ruff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2014, 08:29:12 AM »
Howdy Blackroot,

Thanks for the reply. I will do the search and read about it. Wonder why they did not allow them.
Ruff
RO I & II
Soon to be Abilene, TX

Offline Blackfoot

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2014, 09:53:17 AM »
Don't know why they have not approved them.  I shoot left handed and it is not an issue with me.  Saw one or two replies on the Wild Bunch thread by other lefty shooters and it didn't seem like an issue with any of them.  I guess we just are accustomed to a right handed world.

Blackfoot ::)

Offline Ruff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2014, 10:31:27 AM »
Howdy Blackroot,

Read it and it really did not say why. I am actually right handed, but shoot left handed. Most guns don't bother me, but the 1911 has always felt wrong somehow.

I know that 15 years ago or so that the left handed SAA's were legal so I wonder why the left handed 1911 aren't. Now I have never shoot a Wild Bunch match so maybe someone who has can address this thought/question. On the Wild Bunch forum someone mentioned that it might be because the Randall ejected to the left. Now the spotters and timer/RO should be back a bit so why would an left side ejection be different than a ride side? Am I missing something?
Ruff
RO I & II
Soon to be Abilene, TX

Offline Blackfoot

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2014, 11:14:55 AM »
I have shot Wild Bunch for 3 or 4 years and have never thought about the left/right thing. Being left handed hasn't bothered me at all. I can't see where the side of ejection would be an issue.  All of the lefties that I know or have seen shooting do it very efficiently with a "right handed" gun.  It could be that the request to approve a "special" gun has not been requested or possibly the rules committee just doesn't to get into 1911 and 1911A1 variations.  Whatever the reason I suspect  that the south paw guns will not be approved if the request comes before the committee.

Blackfoot 8)

Offline Will Ketchum

• Chief of Detectives
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Pete Ersland
  • SASS #: 4222
  • NCOWS #: 133
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2014, 11:15:14 AM »
I might say that is has something to do with "authenticity" but since that has never really been a concern with SASS I would have no idea why  ???

Maybe because left hand models weren't used in the movie "The Wild Bunch", which has been more of a guiding light for SASS rules than anything historical  ::).

Personally, I have never had an issue shooting the 1911 left handed, which was often required in the old IPSC days.

Will Ketchum
Will Ketchum's Rules of W&CAS: 1 Be Safe. 2 Have Fun. 3  Look Good Doin It!
F&AM, NRA Endowment Life, SASS Life 4222, NCOWS Life 133.  USMC for ever.
Madison, WI

Offline PJ Hardtack

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2014, 12:21:08 PM »
My wife is a portsider and shoots 1911's adeptly.

Her IPSC gun is fully ambi (safety and mag release) but her Wild Bunch 1911 is an SR1911 with ambi-safety only, as per WB rules in "modern" class.

Saw something in a Gun Digest re: a lefty version of the 1911 on the market again. There was a SS "Portsider" made years ago, but not enough were sold to make it viable on the market.

The April 1984 Guns & Ammo magazine has a review of the Randall "Portsider" The 2013 "Gun Digest" announced the Cabot lefty 1911, SS like the original Randall, but with an upswept ducktail grip safety and a ring hammer.

Not cheap, but if I was a southpaw .....
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com