Author Topic: Experimenting with loads this weekend  (Read 15760 times)

Offline Blair

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Experimenting with loads this weekend
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2014, 02:18:23 PM »
Ibgreen,

Thank you.

My reason for asking is because 32 ga. shot shells have never been what one might be considered popular here in the US. 12, 16 and 20 ga. seems to dominate the shot shell game.
And even in some of these popular gages, European imports of these gages can vary greatly when it comes to the priming system they use.
My best,
Blair
A Time for Prayer.
"In times of war and not before,
God and the soldier we adore.
But in times of peace and all things right,
God is forgotten and the soldier slighted"
by Rudyard Kipling.
Blair Taylor
Life-C 21

Offline Mean Bob Mean

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2014, 06:00:56 PM »
My reason for asking is because 32 ga. shot shells have never been what one might be considered popular here in the US. 12, 16 and 20 ga. seems to dominate the shot shell game.
And even in some of these popular gages, European imports of these gages can vary greatly when it comes to the priming system they use.
My best,
Blair

The Magtech brand uses the LP primers and are available from Ballistic Products. 
"We tried a desperate game and lost. But we are rough men used to rough ways, and we will abide by the consequences."
- Cole Younger

Offline Ibgreen

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2014, 06:49:29 PM »
The Magtech brand uses the LP primers and are available from Ballistic Products. 

Yep, mine are from magtech

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 08:38:45 AM »

Offline Ibgreen

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2014, 11:44:03 AM »
Loaded up some more starline brass last night.  This time I am using 777 3f.  Load is a follows

Starline 56-50 brass
CCI large Mag. Pistol primers
Modifies LEe .515 mold @360 grains
26 gr(weight) / 32gr (volume) 777 3F sub.
Overall length is 1.62"

The small flat point on the lee bullet is a little concerning.  No issues as of yet, though if have started to use a silicone bumper on the back of the case.  This seems to work well.

I will hopefully find some time at the range this week.

Offline KEN S

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2014, 03:36:52 PM »
I originally cut a Lee mould with the small flat point.  looks good, shot ok too, but that small point, right up against the primer???
   I went to the RNFP 350 Lyman.  much safer...   how many old Spencer have a cracked stock along the mag. line?    I wonder how they got there?    Not worth taking a chance with you Shooti' eye!....   go for the flat point...Ken

Offline Ibgreen

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2014, 12:39:27 PM »
Had some free time to play around with the front sight.  Not wanting to damage my original soldered on sight, I fabricated a hood that has an integrated blade sight.  I will temporarily tack it on with super glue to see if it works better.

Offline Ibgreen

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2014, 06:29:26 PM »
Ibgreen,

How is this 32 ga. brass primed?
I mean what kind of primers are used?
My best,
Blair

Well, just got my "score" of 150 32 ga magtech............BERDAN!!!!! Primed shotshell brass :'(
Studying up on possible 209 conversion.  Bummer

Offline Ibgreen

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2014, 08:21:06 PM »
Little more range time this afternoon.

Offline Ibgreen

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2014, 10:01:02 AM »
To get 45grs FF in standard lenth 56-50 cases I use cut down 32ga shot shells,a compresion die and a NEI bullet that does not sit a long way in the case,I find this 45gr load to be a big improvment over 40grs FF in Starline cases,which is the maximum powder I can get in these solid head cases using the same method.Bullet selection is also very important for acuracy in the original Spencers depending on modle ,for instance I belive ndnchf  has nailed the best load for the Springfield converted Spencer Burncide rifle with 45grs of FF and the Rapine 350T bullet,however this cartridge is to long in the case to fit original unalterd Spencer arms,also the twist rate in the Springfiel conversion is 1 in 42 inches so the shorter 350T bullet and 45grs FF is a perfect match,if using a short bullet in the faster twist original unalterd 56-50 Spencers the powder charge has to be droped to 40grsFF or slitley less,however the faster twist in the unalterd originals improves with a longer bullet ,the BACO 375gr Spencer bullet or the NEI 395gr bullet have proven to give me the best acuracy by a fair margin(I use the the NEI bullet with 45grs FF for the best acuracy in my rifle)

Herbert,  I contacted NEI regarding your 395 mold.  They say that the mold has changed.  What are your thoughts?

Offline .56/50 Iron

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2014, 11:28:21 AM »
I thought NEI was no longer in business! Do they have a current website? I found one on the internet but it seemed not to be current

Offline Ibgreen

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #30 on: June 16, 2014, 03:43:40 PM »
Www.neihandtools.com

Apparently the online catalog is not up to date.  No aluminum molds, just steel.  My concern is the extra driving band effecting proper feeding in a spencer action.

Offline Herbert

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: June 16, 2014, 05:17:56 PM »
Herbert,  I contacted NEI regarding your 395 mold.  They say that the mold has changed.  What are your thoughts?
I checked the NEI site and the only Spencer mould I could find is the same as mine the .525-395gr one.I did sugest that the bullet needs to carry more lube to work well in the 30 inch barrels of the 56-50 rifles but no other change,the bullet pictured looks compleatly diffrent to me(too long and posibely too heavy )are you sure its for the Spencer

Offline Ibgreen

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: June 16, 2014, 08:07:32 PM »
I checked the NEI site and the only Spencer mould I could find is the same as mine the .525-395gr one.I did sugest that the bullet needs to carry more lube to work well in the 30 inch barrels of the 56-50 rifles but no other change,the bullet pictured looks compleatly diffrent to me(too long and posibely too heavy )are you sure its for the Spencer

Here is a better view of the new design.  I think I will try the moose molds .520 smith.

Offline Herbert

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: June 16, 2014, 09:26:43 PM »
If it is the one on the bottom right it is simular to the one I am useing but it seem to have a ledge ahead of the crimp groove were it transitions to the curve into the nose of the bullet,I belive this may cause feeding problems,though if it does not it would have more contact with the rifling than the old desighn and posibley be more acurate

Offline El Supremo

• kevintinny@hotmail.com
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #34 on: June 17, 2014, 07:14:36 AM »
Hello, Ibgreen:

Apologies in advance for jumping into the Thread.

I am testing a Ballisti-Cast custom 315gr - 325gr, two cavity bullet mold for my ROMANO Spencers with 34" twist and a .510" bore using 14Bhn alloy.  They are copying Larry's proven design which he is not presently set up to produce.  B' Cast's two-cavity blocks are set with a sprue plate separation that matches their auto casting machines.  This separation dimension creates about a 1/8" cavity wall separation between this large a cavity, which seems too narrow for consistent casting at 735 degrees and bullet drop.

So, how does the four cavity mold you pictured perform, please, and if ok, what might you be doing that prevents bullet drop hang-ups?

Many thanks,
Kevin
Pay attention to that soft voice in your head.

Offline Ibgreen

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: June 17, 2014, 07:27:50 AM »
Hello, Ibgreen:

Apologies in advance for jumping into the Thread.

I am testing a Ballisti-Cast custom 315gr - 325gr, two cavity bullet mold for my ROMANO Spencers with 34" twist and a .510" bore using 14Bhn alloy.  They are copying Larry's proven design which he is not presently set up to produce.  B' Cast's two-cavity blocks are set with a sprue plate separation that matches their auto casting machines.  This separation dimension creates about a 1/8" cavity wall separation between this large a cavity, which seems too narrow for consistent casting at 735 degrees and bullet drop.

So, how does the four cavity mold you pictured perform, please, and if ok, what might you be doing that prevents bullet drop hang-ups?

Many thanks,
Kevin

Kevin, I am not going to go with that design.  I do not care to spend $175.00 on a mold that most likely will not cycle through my rifles action.  I have ordered a .52 smith mold from moose molds instead.  I will let everyone know when I get it.

Offline Ibgreen

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: September 21, 2014, 01:54:06 PM »
I have gotten my hands on an old ideal .518 360gr single cavity.  Although I have not shot paper yet, I can repeatedly nail our steel 16" gong at 130 yards.  I tried a moose .52 cal smith mold, but I am loosing the lib bands when sizing to .518.  My "gong" load is  26 gr (weight) fff Goex , cci LPP, starline brass.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com