Author Topic: Uberti competition rifle or short rifle  (Read 6922 times)

Offline stuck_in_73

• -Jeff
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
Uberti competition rifle or short rifle
« on: March 09, 2014, 08:01:27 PM »
Would the Uberti competition rifle be worth buying? Or just stick with buying the short barrel? I think I'm aware of the differences. I understand both rifles are 20" barrels and the competition has a recoil pad and a short throw raced up action. And only available in .357 or .45lc.  But is it really worth the $200 more than the short? Opinions welcomed :)
“Fiery men are soon put out.”

Offline stuck_in_73

• -Jeff
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Uberti competition rifle or short rifle
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2014, 08:10:33 PM »
I'm referring to the 1873 model btw

Offline Mean Bob Mean

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2014, 08:13:48 PM »
Would the Uberti competition rifle be worth buying? Or just stick with buying the short barrel? I think I'm aware of the differences. I understand both rifles are 20" barrels and the competition has a recoil pad and a short throw raced up action. And only available in .357 or .45lc.  But is it really worth the $200 more than the short? Opinions welcomed :)

A 'slicked up" rifle after you purchase it will cost you another 200.00, especially given the short stroke kit you may have to purchase.  If you are handy, you can do most or all this work yourself. 

As for me, my rifle shoots so sweetly I can't imagine playing around with it, but the fellas here indicate the rifle will last longer if "tuned."  I certainly do not need a recoil pad. 

I would say:  shop around, buy the best deal given that the difference in work is about 200.00 (i.e., a 900.00 standard short rifle is a better deal than a 1200.00 comp rifle). 
"We tried a desperate game and lost. But we are rough men used to rough ways, and we will abide by the consequences."
- Cole Younger

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 08:06:43 PM »

Offline TheOtherLeft

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2014, 05:13:29 PM »
The comp rifle also has a shotgun-style butt plate as opposed to the traditional rifle (crescent) butt plate so should be faster to shoulder, however it doesn't lock it into the shoulder as well. I think the recoil pad is a waste - my 1873 in 357 mag using 38 sp loads has no recoil at all.

IMO the short stroke kit and being tuned is probably with the extra $$$....that assumes of course you want to be a gamer.

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 421
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2014, 07:27:22 PM »
No dog in the fight but...
There one in the BB Classified right now http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php?action=classifieds;sa=view;id=1164

when planets align...do the deal !

Offline stuck_in_73

• -Jeff
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2014, 07:06:50 PM »
I got a chance to take a look at uberti 73 .45lc at my local gun store.  I'm just wondering about a thread I read about watch outs on the case hardening and need to know if this rifle falls under the category.

Here is the copy of the thread I read. I don't know if it holds water or if the guy is right about what he is saying.

Watch outs:
Some rifles have lesser quality color case hardening on the frames.
This looks like the Uberti revolvers which have a dull gray base color and some rather sparse blackish mottling.
The better color case hardening is magnificent, and looks very much like Colt colors.
The base color is a brownish color and almost full coverage with the brilliant blue and greenish colors that Colt revolvers have.
I don't know why some have the dull gray and black colors and some have the brilliant brown and blue colors, but if you can, either hand pick your rifle or ask for a hand pick.

Offline Mean Bob Mean

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2014, 07:24:16 PM »
I got a chance to take a look at uberti 73 .45lc at my local gun store.  I'm just wondering about a thread I read about watch outs on the case hardening and need to know if this rifle falls under the category.

Case hardening varies from piece to piece.  If the color of your receiver is a deal breaker, don't buy it.  It is not a flaw or a poorly rendered piece though.

Best of luck!

Mean Bob
"We tried a desperate game and lost. But we are rough men used to rough ways, and we will abide by the consequences."
- Cole Younger

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 421
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2014, 06:54:58 AM »

Here is the copy of the thread I read. I don't know if it holds water or if the guy is right about what he is saying.

Watch outs:
Some rifles have lesser quality color case hardening on the frames.
This looks like the Uberti revolvers which have a dull gray base color and some rather sparse blackish mottling.
The better color case hardening is magnificent, and looks very much like Colt colors.
The base color is a brownish color and almost full coverage with the brilliant blue and greenish colors that Colt revolvers have.
I don't know why some have the dull gray and black colors and some have the brilliant brown and blue colors, but if you can, either hand pick your rifle or ask for a hand pick.

Before you squelch a Case color job, you might want to consider....

there several methods to case color

Charcoal Color Case Hardening (Packing low carbon steel parts with a carbonaceous material) it can be with bone and charcoal, or leather, hooves, salt and even urine combination.

Cyanide Color Case Hardening ( Method used by Ruger and gets a varnish coat to set and bring out the color)

Hot Nitride Salt Case Hardening ( Method use by Uberti ) richness may vary if the quench liquid is varied in temperature. 

Non color  Case Hardening ( Tools , engine parts, lock shackels , drill bits , fasteners etc. )

Boronizing Case Hardening ( normally producing a grayish look )

and Carbonitriding,  Nitrocarburizing  ( blackish )

when planets align...do the deal !

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com